U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,712,768 times

Advertisements

I changed my first and middle name a bit over a year ago to something I thought was "more me," plus I never cared for my first name. I did make it my middle to try to make the transition easier, but I'm finding I still have to explain to employers and former people I knew that I changed my name.

At any rate, I've changed my name late in life. All of my transcripts and diplomas have my previous name. My former employers know me by my previous name. Most people have adapted except for my mother and friend of 33 years. They refuse to use my new name.

Anyway, am I a weirdo? Do you think this will make it harder for me to find a job?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM

4,891 posts, read 12,132,928 times
honestly i think that will make everything more difficult. employers will want to know your previous name so they can look up your history etc.,

Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM

20,583 posts, read 16,884,040 times
Nothing wrong with that, heck I did it too. In fact Im now seriously looking into my last name now too, to my grandmothers maiden name. Why not, Ive been using it anyway for years, just not legally.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

43,168 posts, read 20,143,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Nothing wrong with that, heck I did it too. In fact Im now seriously looking into my last name now too, to my grandmothers maiden name. Why not, Ive been using it anyway for years, just not legally.
If I had to change my name to the ones people call me, I'd probably end up in prison for use of foul language!

Actually I did change my name one time.. I forgot what it was when I got on City Data, but I changed it to Magnum Mike...

My name is Mike, and people call me... Mike.

Okay, seriously I keep things simple, my first, middle, and last name are still the same since the day I was born, Michael Samuel [Father's last name], and I had no reason to change any of them, nor will I ever have a reason to do so.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM

4,519 posts, read 8,481,503 times
There are some bad names around... I've met a few people who really SHOULD change their name....

You should consult an attorney about how to handle this. Did one help you with the name change?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,585,748 times
I can understand why some people choose to change their names. My maternal Grandmother had four daughters, the eldest of which was named after her -- Daisy Mae. My poor Aunt hated it, and legally changed it when she was grown and had children of her own. She corrected us every time we slipped, and called her Aunt Daisy Mae. It fit my Grandmother, but it really didn't fit my aunt.

A friend of mine in HS, changed her name when she went away to college. She just started using a variation of her middle name, and it suited her and her personality better, anyway. I wouldn't want to hurt her Mother's feelings, though, so that's just between us on this public forum.

My own daughter has had people lummox the spelling of her first name until I told her if she wanted to put two L's in it, to do it -- with my blessing. The day she asked me what her name would have been had she been a boy, she never complained again about her own name.

My husband was in the same predicament you are in, movin' on. His parents, however, and everyone who knew him up until he graduated from HS called him by his middle name, and when he went into the Navy as a young man, and was called by his first name, decided he liked it better anyway.

I would just have a copy of the legal name-change added to your HR files, and whatever other paperwork you keep for work-related, or official, needs. I assume your SS card has the new name on it? Eventually, the name change will catch up to you, although your Mother and older friends may always inadvertently call you by the former name. I don't see much difference in your having done this, and perhaps the name change that comes from a girl's marrying, and changing her name. I have had divorced friends keep their married names because they liked them better than their maiden names.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

19,588 posts, read 22,844,511 times
Yeah, you're weird.

But it has nothing to do with changing your name!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM

5,670 posts, read 6,789,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Okay, seriously I keep things simple, my first, middle, and last name are still the same since the day I was born,

So your name is Mike Mike Mike. Are you related to George Foreman?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 11,492,233 times
Good one, studedude. Can you imagine the confusion in that househole on T'giving Day?? LOL

I've been wanting to change my name for a while now, but just can't find one I really, really like that I think fits me. Oh, well. Hey, go with it. It's what you want.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM

2,077 posts, read 4,189,668 times
I wanna change mine! I was named after a famous singer/songwriter. It really sucks! The name is hidious!!!! I cringe when friends and family members say it. I have only met one other person with the same first name. We were in the service. Both of us went by our middle names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics