U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,469,759 times
Yes to all 3.

National Mosquito Day-that's everyday in MN, they're like the state bird.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM

42,675 posts, read 19,552,571 times
Quote:
Todays Question:

Could you/would you work from home if given the chance?

Bonus Question:
Would you be able to "tune out" everything going on around you?

IE; ringing phones, barking dogs, your other half running the vac or the TV

Extra credit:
Have you ever worked from home?
It's a little tough working in the dog house, but I seem to manage.

My "other half"? Hmm.. I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to multi-task.. it's a little tough for one half of my body to work, and the other half vacuum at the same time. (sorry I couldn't resist!)

Actually the company I work for allows us to work from home a couple of days a week, and yes, I have worked from home. I actually get a lot more done since I don't get as many disruptions.. other than a loud "Go To Your Room!" about 10 times a day!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 AM

9,251 posts, read 7,768,798 times
I interupt my own work to come to city-data! Sorry everybody we work for... I try to make it quick & I go right back to work!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,036,196 times
Karla, Mr. VA works from home. That is why I have to vacuum on certain days. It really bothers me to have to wait to vacuum because I am a person who has the vacuum cleaner taped to my wrist when I am cleaning. I am allowed to have the tv sound up to 3 and he does not hear it. He does not tune me out and is always asking me if I am O. K. when I drop something or make noises doing anything. It drives me nuts, so I go outside and have my down time. Then he checks on me. When that happens, it is time to go shopping. It is great having him home though. No empty house here!

I have to go spot vacuum now. He works Sunday--Wednesday 12:00 noon until 11:00 P. M. I have 1 1/2 hours to make noise! WooHoo!

Last edited by NCN; 07-23-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM

1,167 posts, read 990,942 times
Todays Question:
I would love to work from home. In fact my work and I are working out a way for me to work from home during my 6 weeks of maternity leave!

Bonus Question:
Would you be able to "tune out" everything going on around you?
I don't know if I would be able to tune it out, but I am very multi-task oriented. I can do many things at once!

Extra credit:
When I was 18 and 19 I worked a full time job at a bank, I worked part time as a waitress in a Thai restaurant and I sold candles for PL, which was a home based business. So the answer for me would be I worked one of my part time jobs from home!

National Gorgeous Grandma day?! My mother is a gorgeous Grandma! She is almost 52! I have a picture of her in my album!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 AM

55,607 posts, read 11,789,929 times
Most of the time I could tune out,especially at the office,it's usually people running around,phone rings,cell phones ringng. I am doing my paper work,someone would be talking to their clients and some reps come and bring some bread and stuff,starts talking to you.

I work from home and the office,these days everything is on line. So if I need to see a house close by,I would check my computer,so everthing is convenient.And often I peak in the forums too

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 AM

19,071 posts, read 21,792,495 times
I do work from home, some of the time. Bench work is done here, but I do spend a lot of time at client sites because I prefer to work on problem computers in their native location. Remove them and the cause of the problem can be left behind...

I get in a zone - nothing short of the house falling down (or a tap on the shoulder from my wife) distracts me.

My wife also works from home - mostly. She has flexiplace so she spends most of her time here (separate office) and she says she gets more done at home because there are fewer distractions here. No gossip, we go over that after hours.

My gorgeous grandma once served us vanilla ice cream on a very hot day while we were all being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

What a coincidence!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,246,645 times

I do, if you can call this work. I prefer to think of it as a hobby, but it does involve several hours a day and does generate a revenue - so I guess it qualifies as "a job".

Would you be able to "tune out" everything going on around you? IE; ringing phones, barking dogs, your other half running the vac or the TV.

Very little distracts me when I'm [THWACK ... Got him ... damn mosquitos ... what is it a holiday for them or something?] working. I work with the television on so that I can keep an eye on the world around me. (C-SPAN, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC and of course, Judge Judy )

Yes, every day! You can see the results of my efforts working at home at via the link in my profile. I won't post it here so that no one considers it unsolicited advertising.

Today is National Mosquito Day.

Oh OK.[THWACK]

Charley

Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,133,810 times
I thought about requesting the chance to work from home, but I realized I didn't have the discipline to do so. I required rules and schedules to get things done. However, if I had a major deadline, I have been known to bring things home and was able to get them done quickly and efficiently. If I were left on my own on a day to day basis, it wouldn't work for me. Oh, well. Now I can procrastinate and hang out in my 'jammies all day every day if I want, but I'm way too busy!!! LOL

Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,074,446 times
Today's Question; Oh yes I would love to work from home.

Bonus Question; I can tune out very easily, poor spouse has no clue how often I do that. LOL. Plus I'm the in the house chores person, no worry about the vac or the TV as spouse works long and hard hours at his job.

Extra Credit; I've tried to find a work at home but I've found that they've wanted big bucks up front. So no I haven't yet worked from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics