U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:00 AM

17,827 posts, read 21,498,463 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Friday
Wow, do you know it is only 5 months till Christmas
Maybe thats why while I was in the Fabric store yesterday I saw bolts of xmas themed fabric,
So of course I had to ask the salesclerk "Is this left over from last year"
She excitedly replied " No this is the new stuff for this year" But it's only July

Then I got thinking "uh oh" pretty soon we are going to start seeing all of the ads for the new toys
But then it got ok because I started thinking way back to when I was a kid and how excited I would get as it got closer
So of course that led to

Todays Question:

What was your favorite toy when you were a kid ?

Bonus Question for those of us that are still "kids at heart"

Which of "today's toys" do you wish they had back when you were a kid ?

Extra credit quintuple bonus points :
If you went out and got one just because it was "such a cool toy" and not because you have kids

Today in history:
July 25,55 B.C., the Greeks were the first to put candles on a cake celebrating someone's birthday.
July 25, 1871 Carousel patents by Wilhelm Schneider, Davenport, Iowa
July 25, 1940 John Sigmund begins swimming for 89 hours 46 mins in the Mississippi River
July 25, 1969 1st performance of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Fillmore East, New York)

Word of the day:
sempiternal \sem-pih-TUR-nuhl\, adjective:
Of never ending duration; having beginning but no end; everlasting; endless.

Today is :
National Hot Fudge Sundae Day
It is also
National Thread The Needle Day
and
National Systems Administrator Appreciation Day
Lets not forget
National Scrabble Week (25 -30)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,202,149 times
Woohoo! I'm still up when Karla posted her ?!

My absolute favorite toy consisted of a plastic ring that went around my ankle. It had a rope extending from it with a large bell on the end. I had to twirl that rope in a circle and jump over it. I don't have any idea what it's called, but I was surprised to see one in the toy store a few years back. I just had to buy it for my daughter, but she was not impressed. Actually, I don't think the one she had was nearly as good a quality as the one I had way back when.

Jump ropes and hula hoops came next as favorites. I remember the boys who lived behind us challenging me to a jump rope contest. They thought they were hot stuff because they jumped rope as a conditioning exercise for basketball. The evening ended with their dad saying, "Sons, never challenge a girl to a jump rope contest!"

I'm sure they had them back when I was a kid, but I didn't have any. I would have loved Legos and Lincoln Logs! Needless to say, my daughter has quite the collection. I can't think of any of today's toys I'm drooling over, but I've been tempted to find a Mr. Tip-It ever since the second Santa Clause movie came out!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM

9,582 posts, read 5,259,304 times
Good morning! Fun questions.....

My favorite toy was a chinese jump rope. I absolutely loved playing it. My siblings got so tired of playing it with me, that I would get two dinning chair's and play it by myself.

A electronic chinese jump rope! No...all kidding aside, I don't know! There are so many unique toys these days. It is unbelievable.

I would buy a playstation! Watching the grandchildren playing really intrigues me! How they maneuver those controls and are so quick at it.... I would like the challenge of being able to do it...

Oh, Yes.... a Hot Fudge Sundae!!!! I like a little brownie to go along with it, thank you! Yummmy!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

13,185 posts, read 12,240,015 times
Good morning Curly! Wanted to rep you on the hot fudge sundae but couldn't. When I was a kid (dark ages) there wasn't a lot, but saving my lawn mowing money after the '61 baseball season I bought myself the "Roger Maris Action baseball game." Man, I wish I still had it.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 AM

5,648 posts, read 6,699,027 times
Can't sleep Karla? Good to see you this early. It's also good to see a fun question. You've been tough on us this week. Malingering, to do list, excess inventory, do you work from home serious topics for an old retired (you have to be tired before you can be retired) guy.

I may have set the record for the longest time per word for any post I have done. Mrs Dude stopped me, mid word to help get the house ready for her to go to work. Don't ask.

Fun toys---my brother and I got Roy Rogers 6 guns one year, from Santa. You put some white powder in them and they would smoke when you shot them. In our excitement we were up at about 4. Being good kids we let mom and dad sleep. By the time they got up it looked like an explosion in a flour factory on our dark blue carpet. They were happy.

I suppose if I looked at todays computer games I would find something that was fun. Since I have no young kids or grand kids I'm uninformed.

Hot Fudge Sundae Day or Dae? Woohoo we're off to Oberweis Dairy tonight. Hot fudge with coffee ice cream

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,395,859 times
A couple of my favorites was the light bright,etch a sketch and the spirograph.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,345,278 times
When I was 3, Santa brought a Palamino Horse on springs that I would not get off. I would literally fall asleep on the thing - Mom has pictures!

When I got a little older, Barbie took over.

What toys would I like now? Can't think of any.

What toys have I bought because I thought they were cool? I have a thing for animated stuffed animals like the gopher from Caddyshack that sang "I'm all right..."

Karla, you know I'm trying to lose weight. Why do you tease me with hot fudge Sundae Day??

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,662,391 times
Barbie doll

She came out when I was 4. Yes, I know I'm old! I saw her in the dime store and wanted her, but my mother wouldn't buy her because she said her clothes cost too much. The doll was $3.00. My grandmother came to visit shortly thereafter and gave me 3.00 to spend on a toy. I ran and got the Barbie doll immediately...and the rest was history!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

42,953 posts, read 19,893,065 times
Quote:
Todays Question:

If you went out and got one just because it was "such a cool toy" and not because you have kids
Hmmm... does my 9th grade English teacher (Mrs. Campbell) who I had the hots for, count as a toy?

Sorry... I just had to throw that in there.

I didn't have too many toys when I was a kid, but I liked Legos, and Errector set.. and no, when I say "errector set", I'm talking about the toy you build stuff with, not some other perverted toy!

I also loved building model airplanes, and Hot Wheels.

As for today's toys I wish we had back then.. I don't know, maybe those remote control airplanes(??)

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM

9,655 posts, read 10,841,228 times

This is an easy one, My favorite toy was a Johnny seven, it was 7 guns in one, I had a blast playing with it.

None, I enjoyed my simple toys

I have looked on e-bay for a Johnny seven LOL

I'm running with Hot Fudge Sunday day because I can't see well enough to thread a needle unless we're talking riding a motorcycle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics