Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

213 posts, read 823,153 times

Advertisements

So last week, my mom and I flew from San Diego to LAX for a layover, then had about a 5-hour flight to Washington D.C. From there, we explored the next day (nothing new to me since I've been there 2 years ago), drove up and visited Philly for a couple hours, then stopped at our hotel in northern New Jersey. The following day, we took a bus to New York City and covered everything we could via double-decker CityBus guided tour. We did it again the next day and left in the afternoon, driving up to Boston. Did some exploring there, and then went back home.

Coolest trip I've ever been on. I think this tops off Hawaii, Florida/Bahamas, and all the other vacations and roadtrips I've had.

Washington D.C. - I loved seeing all the memorials and monuments. I fell in love with Georgetown 2 years ago and I still feel the same way.
Philadelphia - Cheesesteak sandwiches and cheese fries were phenomenal. Wasn't there long enough but pretty cool city.
New York City - I became very much attracted to this place. The fact that you don't even need to own a car and can just walk/bike/take the bus/subway/taxi made me like it even more. I also enjoyed the quick and easy convenience of street vendors with ice cold water and hot, yummy greasy foods on a mucky summer day. The pizza and the cheesecake were delicious.
Boston - I felt like this city is the east coast's version of San Diego, minus the weather. The clam chowder in a bread bowl made me want to stop buying the cheapy canned Campbell's from the grocery store.

Other things I was impressed with was the cleanliness of the highways and housing of the east coast. I love townhomes, especially ones made of brick. We can't get away with that here in California.

I worked really really hard on my movie and it took me (altogether) about 12 hours just sifting through every video footage and pictures I had.
Questions/comments/critiquing is very much appreciated.

YouTube - Summer 2008 - East Coast Trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Wow!

Good mix. Nice change of pace just often enough to allow us to catch our breath.

I only had one problem during the entire clip - the text at the bottom went by too fast most of the time. By the time I noticed it and looked down it was gone.

Other than that it was great!!

And I am jealous.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Very nicely done!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Sambazon.....That was a very nice movie!
So glad you enjoyed your trip!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Wonderful job...
Never been on the east coast. Always wanted to go and this video really makes everything I imagined it would to be.
I'm not a expert at this kind of thing, but the coordinating of your pictures and music I think was a good choice. It could of been a little slower at times. Other than that...........
Great video and thanks for sharing!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
great job. some familiar some i have never been to, but you gave me a taste of home-thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
BTW I got a kick out of your YouTube nickname...

Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 AM

213 posts, read 823,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow!

Good mix. Nice change of pace just often enough to allow us to catch our breath.

I only had one problem during the entire clip - the text at the bottom went by too fast most of the time. By the time I noticed it and looked down it was gone.

Other than that it was great!!

And I am jealous.
YUP, that's exactly what I hated about using iMovie for this. It didn't allow me to leave the subtitles long for some reason; and when I actually could have, they still faded away too quickly. I'm starting to think about using more advanced programs that have much more freedom manipulating and letting me do whatever I want with no restrictions.

Thank you very much for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Wonderful job...
Never been on the east coast. Always wanted to go and this video really makes everything I imagined it would to be.
I'm not a expert at this kind of thing, but the coordinating of your pictures and music I think was a good choice. It could of been a little slower at times. Other than that...........
Great video and thanks for sharing!
This is why the New York City part was fun making. From the very first time I heard that song I held onto it just in case I did go on an NYC trip....my brain always subconsciously comes up with these movie/music video scenarios that could fit perfectly with songs - and in this case, the very intro of that Jay-Z song had strong beats that made me think of quick photos/video clips of NYC flashing that were synchronized to the song's rhythm.

I agree with you, that the movie could've been slower. I tried to squish it to avoid having viewers getting bored [too] quickly, and YouTube has a 10-minute limit on their videos so I wouldn't have been able to host my video on their site (made the limit by about 4 seconds ). So 4 major cities in 10 minutes....not too shabby .

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
great job. some familiar some i have never been to, but you gave me a taste of home-thanks
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? One of my close friends was born and raised in Baltimore, MD and he told me that my video made him homesick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
BTW I got a kick out of your YouTube nickname...
Hahah, it's actually a Chappelle's Show reference. I regret choosing such an inappropriate username.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
Very nice,

BUT
Me being a BIG Yankee fan
How can you come across country and NOT
take a tour of Yankee Staduim
Esp since this is the last year they will
play at the old Staduim

P.s
My youngest son is in the Navy ,Stationed in San Diego for a couple of more months and he loves it out there

Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Great video! Nice mix of music and Knowing the subtitles were going to be quick (thanks to the other posts) they were not hard to read. Very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics