U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,403,652 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
Yesterday thread was so much fun again we have some very creative posters
Now to continue our homage to the up coming Olympics
I though this would be a good

Todays Question:

If you were offered an all expense trip to the 2008 summer Olympics, would you go ?

Quintuple extra credit
:

Are there any of our loyal posters that have ever gone to any of the Olympics ?
or know someone that has gone ?

Today in history:
August 6, 1919 1st air flight over a major body of water in Australia (Harry Butler)
August 6, 1926 New York's Gertrude Ederle becomes 1st woman to swim English Channel
August 6, 1979 Marcus Hooper, 12, is youngest person to swim English Channel

Word of the day
:
spoony \SPOO-nee\, adjective:
1. Foolish; silly; excessively sentimental.
2. Foolishly or sentimentally in love.

Today is:
National Root Beer Float Day
it is also
National Fresh Breath Day
and
National Gossip Day(yup everyone is talking about those that don't have fresh breath)
and how could we forget
National Wiggle Your Toes Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,588,166 times
I'm not very much a sports fan. At least not watching many kinds of sports. But being offered all expenses I would jump a plane right this moment.

It's not only an opportunity to watch such an event from up close instead of the TV, you might also get some more insight about the country where the Olympics are being held. And with all the preparations China had I would definitely like to have a look.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,459,212 times
Good Morning To all & HUGS to start your day

I'm with Miguel's Mom, not at all into sports. But all expense paid. I'd go, Sure would be nice to visit, explore, and to learn about the culture.

To the best that my memory allows, no I do not know anyone yet that has ever gone to the Olympics, compete or watch.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,805,348 times
If you were offered an all expense trip to the 2008 summer Olympics, would you go?

Absolutely. I want to see Alice in the house flipping event and S-R doing the TP paper change and Elston in the procrastination relay and NCN vs. Aksarben in the coffee drink and ...

Oh wait a minute. Do you mean the REAL Olympics? Nah. Not interested. I'll watch on TV during my insomnia-filled moments overnight.

Charley,
who celebrates Wiggle Your Toes day every day because it's good for circulation.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,153,579 times
I would probably go just for the chance to visit China.

And to the bonus question....no, but I drove around Atlanta at the time they were hosting them.....Is that close enough?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,717,716 times
http://th42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/puzzlessue/Holidays/Halloween/th_corny3.gif (broken link)

If I had an all expense trip to anywhere, I'd take it! I haven't had a vacation in about 3 years.
I got masks for everyone.

I don't know anyone who ever went to the Olympics.

Speaking of Olympic themes, Did anyone ever see Cool Running w/ John Candy about the Jamaican Bob-Sled team? I thought that was a very funny movie with an Olympic theme.

Gertrude Ederle and Marcus Hooper would be great Olympians!

Have an awesome day City-Data...

Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 AM

5,988 posts, read 9,972,402 times
I'm sitting here, wiggling my toes and eating mints, thinking about what to do with a free trip to the Olympics. As much as I love sports I don't believe they should ever be mixed with politics. I have no desire to go. In fact my TV will skip over whatever network is covering them. I would have to sell the trip and donate the money to a charity.

I used our last can of root beer and make a float last night. Poor planning. pssst-- do you know what the tramp down the street is doing while her husband is at work?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,403,652 times
poconoproud
rofl you have the best little pictures !!!!

ok You all may think I am strange (well stranger than you already think I am) but if I was offered a all expense trip would I go

No , but probably for the strangest reason ever

I would starve !!!
Not sure if they would allow me to bring my jar of peanut butter and box of crackers
which is standard "travel fare" when I go to places that I know will have nothing I will eat.

lol remember I am the one who "starved" on her 4 day trip to New Orleans

for the bonus question
I have never gone , but we have a friend of the family who has gone to see the Olympice for over 25 years
when I saw him at my nieces wedding I asked if he was going this summer
his reply
" no I am mad at China"
well ok then lol

Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM

51,054 posts, read 29,133,009 times
Quote:
Todays Question:

If you were offered an all expense trip to the 2008 summer Olympics, would you go ?

Quintuple extra credit:

Are there any of our loyal posters that have ever gone to any of the Olympics ?
or know someone that has gone ?
All expense-paid trip? What's the catch?

I'd probably go to the country that's hosting them, but I wouldn't go to the Olympics themselves.... unless I'm kidnapped, and forced to sit somewhere in the venue, in which case they'd have to pay me a lot of money to watch the events.

On the last part of the question... does going to the "Wet T-Shirt Olympics" count?

I'm not into this Olympics thing at all, nor do I know anybody who is.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,535,218 times
I would go in a heartbeat. I am a sports fan and it would be an experience to go. I'm not a big chinese food person though, so I'd probably be going to McDonalds alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics