Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,426 times

Advertisements

Me too!!
HELP!!!
LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
Please stop. I watched my father die early from those things. Watched him caugh up his lungs. Watched him in agony as the hospital tech suctioned out his lungs, days before he died. Watched our family suffer watching him die slowly. Just stop. You already know where you are headed right now.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,426 times
I know! I Know!
But it so hard to stop! You can not tell me anything about smoking I don't already know!
I just thought I would post this thread, for all of the smokers that are trying to quit.
Thanks
I am so sorry about your dad,jamesandveybe

Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Question What are the tips to help quit?

Oh,, Okie ~ it’s good for you to stop and like you said you probably already know enough of the bad side about smoking. Starting a thread about smoking is a good idea, I don’t know how many members are still out there who want to quit but it’s a good thread idea anyway.

So the important points ~ what are you doing to HELP stop? There are many helpful things that smokers can do to help quit and those things make the difference between success and failure in their efforts. For me I got rid of all the cigarettes around me, avoided being around others who smoked, and “changed” my daily habits of everything I did EVERYTHING! Is the key word. Simple changes in every habit to retrain the brain.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:19 AM

417 posts, read 813,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
Me too!!
HELP!!!
LOL!!!
I know it's hard...I'm not a smoker but I hear ya'....heck, I need help with PEPSI!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Might try: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ort-group.html....also, check out this thread.....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...ng-5-45-a.html

.....much support and great information on these threads.

Good luck to you. I quit cold turkey over 40 years ago.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:41 PM

NWV ,,,, LOL you quit cold turkey 40 years ago ~ most members aren't even that old yet!

Thanks for reposting those links! Good idea

Old 08-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
I quit for the last time about 17 years ago, right after watching a dear friend die of lung cancer. It's definitely not easy, taht's for sure. I had quite once for 12 years, then started up again and was back to a pack/day within a week. Once you do quit, it does get easier. I can't stand to be around smoke any more.

Best of luck.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Talking You can do it!!!

Actually, 'we' quit in June, 1963, after our first born. About a year later while an accountant at a university, I joined a bowling team and made the mistake....yep, for about 9 months had the habit all over again. Then quit for good. Dreamed about smoking for a few months and had to really fight the urge. But for for about 42+ years, this granny has been 'smoke free'! Cannot abide even library books with smoke smell.

Now the big downside for me, personally, was being on birth control pills, cortisone for a rash on my hands from dish detergent, and increased appetite. Food, as did just about everything, provided heavenly fragrancies conducive to the over sampling of said food(s). All of the aforementioned led to the increase in the total body mass of this now non-smoker. Which then led to another change in habit forming behaviour.

Alas, this new problem was overcome and change is/was possible. I do wish the OP the best. You can do anything that you are determined to do. However, it has to be your personal decision. And it really is, one day at a time.

................................in yourself!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Well said NWV! I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics