Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times

Advertisements

I am trying to reconstruct a water leak scenario to determine where some water could have come from although I didn't actually do all the steps at that time.

I found a puddle in my garage that was on a shared wall with our wine storage room. There was water in the wine room although not a "flood" amount. I checked the surrounding rooms (guest room, linen closet, coat closet) but there was no water there. My first thought was that the chiller unit had malfunctioned but there was too much water for that. There are plumbing pipes in the attic above as well as the water heater but there didn't seem to be enought water for that significant a source. Can anyone hypothesize as to what I failed to consider when trying to figure out where the water could have come from? I called my husband to come home from work and then I went to work and left it to him to resolve. When I came home everything was dry and back as it should be (except for a strip of molding from the wine room ceiling that was being straightened.)

When I asked my husband what had happened he told me to see if I could figure it out on my own. So far, I have not yet come up with what I missed. Can anyone here suggest anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Can anyone here suggest anything?
Could it be the condensation from the air conditioner on your car?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
No, any condensate from the car would be on the floor under the car and would not have migrated inside to the wine room. My only new thoughts since posting have been possibly something in the attic like maybe the AC unit, a leak in the flashing around a vent pipe in the roof or even an actual roof leak - although it hadn't rained in quite a while. But thanks for the thought.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
No, any condensate from the car would be on the floor under the car and would not have migrated inside to the wine room. My only new thoughts since posting have been possibly something in the attic like maybe the AC unit, a leak in the flashing around a vent pipe in the roof or even an actual roof leak - although it hadn't rained in quite a while. But thanks for the thought.
Eh, it was a long shot, I know.

Leaks can be notoriously hard to locate, since the water often likes to run horizontally along framing members before it drops. So sometimes you're looking at one point when it's really a dozen or so feet over.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Yes, water can run a long way before falling. On of my brothers was hired to find a leak at a car dealership. He went snooping and told them he was going to have to tear into the roof at the other end of the building. The didn't believe him and hired someone else.

The new "expert" tore up the roof all the way from the drip to where my brother told them he was going tear in. 80 feet of unnecessarily ripped up roof and expense.

He laughs every time I mention it.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
He laughs every time I mention it.
LOL - I don't blame him - that IS funny!

I've had some really old houses where the leak was really at the crown of the roof, but it ran down the sheathing into the walls and down the studs (balloon framing) to the first floor. Drove me crazy finding it.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
You should post this in the House forum, you're bound to get some theories!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
We had a wet spot on the closet floor in our basement bedroom back in June. I thought we had a leak in the drain lines from upstairs, but everything was dry around those. It had me stumped until I checked the drain pan under the condenser coils of our whole house AC (located above the furnace). It was running over. It seems the drain line was partially blocked somewhere and the pan filled up and started to run over. I got the materials to run a new drain line from the pan over to the sump pump and it has been dry ever since. Could something like that possibly have happened? If the drain line was partially plugged, some condensation could have gotten through so that it looked like it was working properly.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Lightbulb Any 1 of 3 answers

Assuming the strip of molding in the wine room ceiling was being straightened out because it got wet,,, one would have to say the water came from above. However if it were a leaking water pipe, water would continue to come into the room until you fixed the pipe.

A possible cause for the water (if it came from above and it was only lasted for a while and stopped leaking on it’s own without repair) could be the water heater “overflow”. If the heater gets too hot for one reason or another it will discharge the hot water through the overflow value (normally it’s discharged to a drain or outside) through a pipe. It all depends on how your water heater is installed, but I’d look at an overflow value problem? The next question has to be “why” did the heater get so hot that caused some water to escape or discharged out the overflow valve? Check the thermostat on the heating elements or gas pilot of the water heater.

The next option is some drunk came into the wine storage room – drank a bottle all by himself and found that he needed to relieve bladder. After sobering up left without a trace.

And the last option is a bottle or two of wine popped their corks and all the wine was lost onto the floor giving the appearance of a water leak.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The next option is some drunk came into the wine storage room – drank a bottle all by himself and found that he needed to relieve bladder. After sobering up left without a trace.
Now THAT is a possibility I never considered...

Get the pH paper...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics