Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times

Advertisements

This is really, really, and truly gross....I'm warning you....We finally got a telephone when I was in the 5th grade. Two of my girl cousins lived with us while my Daddy was serving in Hawaii while in the Navy. Now this 'phone was like an intriguing toy to us. We would take turns and answer with dumb, weird stuff that we made up. Once in awhile, we would answer a ringing 'phone with:

'City Morgue, you stab 'em, we slab 'em'. Now why in the world would 3 girls think this was funny? We had others of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM

367 posts, read 695,683 times
My answer..........

Hello, you have reached The House of Chris. If you are a friend, please press one and you will be connected. If you are a prospective employer, please press two and yes, I will take the job. If you are a bill collector.......The check is in the mail. BEEP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
"Hello, you have reached 223-xxxx. If you are calling the doctor's office the number is 222-xxxx. If you are calling for us please talk for 10 or 15 seconds and we will pick up. We do monitor our calls so if you don't talk, we won't answer. Thank you."

99% of our calls hang up after 222-xxxx.

The doctor is a Pediatrician and we get calls at all hours. Right after the parents get home, and early on holidays (notably xmas) are the worst. We unplug our phones xmas eve and leave them unplugged until after we have breakfast in the morning.

It used to be worse when a beauty salon was one number away also. Longer message, same result.

One of my brothers hates answering machines and won't leave messages. Even after I explained why we need ours he wouldn't. Finally I told him to call my cell phone. Turns out his number is restricted and says so on my cell when he calls. I don't answer "restricted" or "unavailable" on my cell because it's usually someone selling something.

Thank God for email!
Other than wrong numbers people have dialed and reached me, some of whom were probably too drunk to hold a phone let alone dial it, I haven't really had any problem phone calls.

But about 9 years ago, I was getting phone calls in the middle of the night from one strange individual, who for some reason thought his girlfriend ran off with me.. I forgot the gal's name, but he'd call at around 2:00 in the morning and wake me up and threaten me for taking his girlfriend. I kept telling him that the name of the gal I was dating back then was not the one he was talking about, her name, and everything he mentioned about her did not match my girlfriend's name, description, and the truck she drove!

Thankfully, he didn't know my address, just a telephone number, which I'm not sure how he mixed it up with mine, probably one with a different area code. I tried calling him a couple of times during the day and left messages on his answering machine, but he never responded, instead, he called me in the middle of the night with the same rantings about his girlfriend... This went on for about 2 weeks or so, and finally, I got fed up with it, and changed my home telephone number, and the calls stopped.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
If you juxtapose two digits in our phone number, it's the same as the cable company's number. It's just wonderful around here when the cable goes out!

"The cable isn't working" ... "Neither is your phone. You dialed a wrong number!"

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 08-15-2008 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Todays Question :

How do you answer your phone ? It depends on who it is, it could be Hello or "whats cracking home dog" I just wing it.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever "oops" answered your home phone forgetting you were not at work ?
Yes I have

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Other than wrong numbers people have dialed and reached me, some of whom were probably too drunk to hold a phone let alone dial it, I haven't really had any problem phone calls.

But about 9 years ago, I was getting phone calls in the middle of the night from one strange individual, who for some reason thought his girlfriend ran off with me.. I forgot the gal's name, but he'd call at around 2:00 in the morning and wake me up and threaten me for taking his girlfriend. I kept telling him that the name of the gal I was dating back then was not the one he was talking about, her name, and everything he mentioned about her did not match my girlfriend's name, description, and the truck she drove!

Thankfully, he didn't know my address, just a telephone number, which I'm not sure how he mixed it up with mine, probably one with a different area code. I tried calling him a couple of times during the day and left messages on his answering machine, but he never responded, instead, he called me in the middle of the night with the same rantings about his girlfriend... This went on for about 2 weeks or so, and finally, I got fed up with it, and changed my home telephone number, and the calls stopped.

Hmm, well, are you sure the girl you were dating didnt have something else going on, on the side??

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Hmm, well, are you sure the girl you were dating didnt have something else going on, on the side??
LOL.. I thought the same thing back then too, but no - Pam did not have anything else going on, on the side. It sounded like he might have had phone numbers mixed up or something, because he was looking for a guy with a different name than mine, who supposedly stole his girlfriend. I can't remember how many times he called, but from talking to him, I don't blame his girlfriend for running off with another guy.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
I answered yesterdays ? of the day! I really do need a eye and brain exam!!
When I'm in my normal state of mind I answer it with the company name and identify myself.
Once in a while I answer the phone correctly and just say hello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics