Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM

431 posts, read 391,342 times

Advertisements

An emergency requires an ambulance, police, firetruck or the power company. All others should kindly take their "emergency business call" after hours, outside. It's as simple as that. Take it outside in your car or truck, but not next to me in a restaurant or store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,685,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'd love to have some kind of pen-sized zapper and point it at such people's phones, zap it, fry the innards, then watch their faces scrunch up in puzzlement.

Oh, man...I want one of those for the cars-that-go-BOOM, too.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,685,402 times
Such is the society we live in. Everyone has to have it right now no matter what. So if you are complaining about cell phone abuse, you better not be the one that gets mad when you have to leave someone a message as you can not get ahold of them right then.

I actually prefer leaving messages - especially if I'm dealing with a cell number. It gives the receiver ample time to prepare an answer.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM

33 posts, read 110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Reading the "How Rude" thread there were several mentions of customers rudely talking on their cell phones while checking out of stores or having goods loaded into their vehicles. I am so frustrated at the misuse of cell phones that I may lose all control and slap one out of a rude user's hand. Evidently teen-aged girls use cell phones as a measure of their popularity - if they have endless people to talk to then they must be popular. I can't tell you how angry I get when trying to negotiate a parking lot full of idiots who can't put their phones down long enough to pull in/out of their spaces. Nothing ruins a nice dinner more than someone who can neither turn off their phone or excuse themselves from the table to talk. Grocery shopping is being privvy to endless conversations by endless numbers of shoppers walking the aisles yammering away. And I could go on forever... The kicker is that about 98% or more of these conversations are just chatter, never about anything important. When did it become socially acceptable to share the minutia of one's life with every being within earshot???
I agree with you somewhat, especially when it comes to restaurants and the parking spot thing. But I don't object to someone talking on the phone while shopping. It's no different than if they were talking to someone accompanying them on the shopping or ran into a friend in the store and started talking.

It's not just teen-aged girls who over-use them to prove something. They also seem to have become a status symbol among members of at least one ethnicity and lawyers have them permanently implanted in one ear.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'll gladly join this rant. One time my kids and I were at Disneyland, and we saw a family nearby when we were eating lunch. The dad was on his cell phone; the wife and kids looked less than thrilled. I wanted to march over there, grab the phone from his hand and toss in the nearest trash can! He couldn't take one DAY out of his busy life to spend it 100% in the here and now with his family?! That was just so pathetic.

I completely sympathize with any customer service rep who won't wait on someone who's on their cell. My attitude would be: "If you can't give me your undivided attention for the two minutes it will take me to help you, then why should I make you a priority?"

I hardly ever use my cell. Most of the time it sits in my purse waiting for some kind of an emergency. However, there have been rare occurrences when I have called home when I'm at the market to say something like, "They're out of Lay's chips. What else would you like?" Such a conversation lasts only two minutes, though.

I've heard people talking about their love lives and other private concerns. What is it about being on a cell phone that suddenly renders everyone else around you stone deaf?
Maybe he was talking to a doctor who was calling from a far-away state about an ailing elderly parent whose call they'd been anxiously waiting for. It's hard to get calls from busy people and when it's something important, you don't want to miss it, especially if you have questions for that busy professional. If the man was on a business call, that's the bread-and-butter that pays for those Disneyland trips, or maybe he was given time off for the trip but with the provision that he be reachable for occasional consultation if his employer is in the middle of an important project that he's central to.

I agree with you about making customer service reps wait. If the call is important, just excuse yourself and tell them you'll be back to them in a minute; other wise tell the caller you'll call back in a few minutes.

I also agree with you about the love-life calls but, frankly, who cares?

It seems to me we have vastly more serious social ills than cell phone issues.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! I just hope none of ya'll are around when my hubby gets a call. Be it from a customer that their system is down and he has to trouble shoot and walk them thru the process or it is a dire emergency needing immediate attention. We don't deal in computers or any kind of technical support but what we do handle effects all of you and trust me, if the place you are at trying to get service/attention has a problem and they are needing someone ASAP to fix it for them you will be glad my husband has his phone on him. His also rings during the middle of the night only for emergencies. I'm not going to say what kind of business he is in as it would give it away in our area but we deal w/ communications, hospitals, large manufacturing plants, surgery centers, etc. We have been on vacation and he has gotten a call if no one back at home could handle it, those things happen and we know it. We realize that his business has afforded us the luxury of the vacation we are on. A few minutes for him to get a customer taken care of out of a week is not going to tear our family apart. He also has internet capabilities on his and email. With GPS on all of our other phones if something comes up and in our industry we are required by federal law under the Homeland Security laws to know where every single truck is at every minute. If something happens at the business during off hours (break in or such) he can look up the security cameras and see what is going on. Don't say anything about security alarms, we have those and are required but nowadays too many cities have made it a law w/ their police departments that they will not answer an alarm until it is verified by the business. Trust me, you would be VERY happy my husband has his cell phone if your life depended on it.

Before any of you go getting all upset and defensive, I do admit there are PLENTY of people out there that totally abuse them. There are people that should not be allowed to listen to the radio and drive at the same time let alone talk on a cell phone while driving. They have caused accidents but there are plenty of accidents that happen that were not caused by cell phone usage. I see more people distracted in their driving while eating, talking to fellow passangers, messing w/ the kids, applying makeup, shaving, etc.

Pretty soon in Texas we will be required to have handsfree on cellphones if they are being used while driving. I have one car w/ Bluetooth and one w/o it. My new phone is Bluetooth capable and very uncomfortable to hold but I was trying to find a phone w/ big enough buttons for me to see and use (that darn age thing). In my car that is Bluetooth I LOVE IT!!! But when I would be in my other car that is used more for business it was a pain. I HATED IT!!! So I broke down and bought one of those icky ear pieces. I don't like things on my ears or anything and the only time I use it at all is only when in the car. If I am not in the car, I don't use it. If I get a call when I'm in somewhere if it is not important I ask if I can call them back. Usually though most are just quick questions and then done with and I hang up. My mother on the other hand.................. urgh....... when she calls I may push the "busy" button or answer and act like I'm in some hurry or something. She will call over nothing. I don't really care what the person said to you or did at the store or wherever. Then the fact she talks loud to start with. I can literally hold the phone a foot away and hear everything crystal clear. So using that stupid earpiece w/ her on the phone..... NO!!!! I'd be deaf.

All in all, they do have their place and are needed............ in their place. So people.......... stop buying your kids all cellphones. Right now there is another thread about people ditching their landline and going only cellphones. No thanks. I do NOT want some people knowing my cell number, they can call the house and leave a message if I'm not there. So w/ more and more people going to strictly cellphones it is only going to get worse.
I agree with almost all you said, and great post.

I do disagree with you about one thing, though, and since you made it our business by commenting on it, I'll comment back. Mom. Be more patiennt with her. I used to avoid some calls from my mom because she would call over nothing, or I would want to hurry and get off the phone with her. She's been gone many years now, and I would give everything I own to have one more call from her.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,839,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBurglar View Post
It's not just teen-aged girls who over-use them to prove something. They also seem to have become a status symbol among members of at least one ethnicity .
KittyB, I know exactly what you are referring to - especially the women.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
Post Cell phone abuse from bill collectors that aren't even calling for you!!!!!

I also use my cell phone on rare occassions. I bought a pay as you go in case my car broke down at 3 am on my way home from work. What annoys me is some bill collector calling my phone for someone call igpar mpar whatever their bleeding name is.I called this company 3 times now. They keep calling my phone even though I told them to remove my bleeding number.well guess what. They once again have called. And i had to pay to listen to it yet once again to get to MY own personal messages. I've had this phone number over a year now.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,473,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Thank-you for starting this thread, redrover.

This issue also ties in with the "customer service" thread.

I have a PT retail job.

I do not wait on customers who are on their cell phones.

Plain and simple.

I usually smile, give a slight wave, and mouth "let me know when you are available". And walk away.

Tis amazing how "non-urgent" those conversations become!
GOOD FOR YOU, Plaidmom! I've always believed that stores should intstitute a surcharge for people who come to the check out counter talking on a cell phone!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 AM

50 posts, read 190,165 times
Default Using foul language on the cell phone

The other day, I was riding the city bus to church and someone's cell phone rang, and when he answered the phone, he started cussing. Cussing is very annoying to those around you. Those bad cell phone talkers have this "my bubble, my rules" attitude. They act like they're in private when they're actually in public. They fail to realize that when you're out in public, you are not by yourself, you are surrounded by other people and therefore ought to be considerate. You are only by yourself when you are in private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics