Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM

101 posts, read 763,552 times

Advertisements

I must say that English is nowhere in terms of difficulty when compared to Russian or any of the other Slavic languages.

I'm currently learning Czech boy is it hard or what!!! The grammar is just beyond one's understanding (of course it is possible to master it after tons and tons of years). The prepositions are not as confusing as in the English language, but the cases, noun endings, relatively free syntax can be quite puzzling (and being able to understand is one thing as being able to use it is quite another).

German is also not an easy language. It's grammar is comparatively harder than English and it's syntax and vast vocabulary can be quite frustrating (but once you understand it, it can be real fun).

I've also heard that Turkish and Finnish are the hardest non IE (indo-european) languages in Europe as they are agglutinative languages (meaning you can add suffixes to a word and make it a sentence!!! result: you'd end up getting one loooon g word of about 30-50 letters which makes up the whole sentence!!)

Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Urdu (and other Indian languages), and the African languages (with the exception of a few like Swahili) can be excruciatingly hard!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM

51 posts, read 176,679 times
I agree. English is extremely hard.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
To those of you who are non-native English language users, take heart. Here in the USA, nearly half of the native English language users have reading and writing skills that reflect the weakness of basic subjects in our education system. You too may have noticed that problem from reading many of the posts in CD written mostly by people who are native English language users - so please be careful in selecting posts in this forum to use for "learning by example".

I appreciate the efforts that are made by non-native English language users to learn and practice writing in a forum like this. Go ahead and write away, and don't worry about a few words that might not be spelled correctly or other minor grammar errors because your written words will probably be easier to understand than the posts from many native English language users!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Swedish is worse...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:49 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesn't Hurt View Post
russian and turkish too hard to learn then english and japanese

turkish an example

ben sever-im
sen severs-in
o sever
biz sever-iz
siz sever-siniz
onar sever-ler

this mean that

i love,
you love
he-she-it love,
we love you
you love
they love
So, sin and siz may not be the same people? And although 'o sever' it may not be the same 'sever' as that of 'onar'?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
It all depends upon your native language.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Ha! Apparently you've never tried Chinese? Where one word's meaning can change drastically just because you put a different tone on it? Sometimes where you put the intonation itself (whether it's the beginning of the word, the middle, or the end) can change the word's meaning drastically. Don't even get me started on its written words (thousands of them, compare to 26 western alphabets). Now, that, my friend, is hard!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM

What about Czech?

7 cases...separate endings for singular and plural...which results in A LOT of cases....

Two kinds of verbs for almost EVERY word: perfective and imperfective (and each one has it's own present, past, and future tense)...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
What about Czech?

7 cases...separate endings for singular and plural...which results in A LOT of cases....

Two kinds of verbs for almost EVERY word: perfective and imperfective (and each one has it's own present, past, and future tense)...
Pfffft, Czech looks like a preschooler compared to Finnish and its whopping 15 cases.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM

haha I agree...imagine some of the Indian languages...I heard the south indian languages have 20 cases....different endings....which change per gender...agglutinative endings (just like finnish and hungarian)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics