Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM

973 posts, read 3,293,936 times

Advertisements

Christmas is coming!!!! What are things that you and your family look forward to or traditions that you like to participate in. Have you ever thought of starting a new tradition in your family?

My parents are divorced and Christmas Eve was "Dad's day" and Christmas Day was "Mom's day." That's the extent of their traditions. The whole family looked forward to the chance to visit and have an awesome meal, though!!!

My hubby and I created our own traditions, though. We started going to a dinner theater every year to take in their Christmas show, which was always different. We also drive to 2 very popular places to see Christmas light displays. Lots of fun!!!!!

My Mom decided to start something new last Christmas. When we sit down to dinner, everyone has to tell what they are thankful for or something good that has happened since the previous year. There's no limit, so if you have more than one thing, great!!!
I thought it was a nice idea and served as a reminder that even in tough times, we had something good going for us. She wants us to focus on what is positive in our lives.

What about you and your family???
What do you look forward to? The snow? The food? Decorating the house? Finding a tree? Holiday parties? Seeing family? etc.....
Do you have a tradition that you and your family or friends participate in?
Are you thinking of doing something different this year?

Express what you think is GOOD and FUN about the holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,208,549 times
Default Definitely the decorating...

Decorating the house!

(I decorate for just about everything!) I have autumn decorations up at the house ...and on my desk now!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,470,526 times
I look forward to Christmas Eve and Christmas day the most, but I so love the days leading up to all the Holidays.
The decorating the baking and yes even the shopping. I love being on the hunt for just the right gift.

Then to wind it all down the day after Christmas. It's a good tired.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM

27,227 posts, read 27,290,570 times
We get time and a half if we work, its just another day for some of us, so.......(We are closed for Xmas though).
Otherwise, family time is good enough, for me.
PS....believe it or not, Lowes is already almost sold out of Halloween stuff and has already started putting up Christmas displays. Yikes!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,000 times
Christmas is just another day. I have the day off, because the mall is closed, but my husband works on Christmas so we usually open the gifts on Christmas Eve when he gets home.

My favorite Holiday is Thanksgiving, because he always gets Thanksgiving off and I get to spend it with him. I usually get a couple of Cornish Gtame Hens to cook on Thanksgiving. If my mom has the day off, then I'll pick up a small turkey (although they are very hard to find.) This year unless my knee is feeling better I'm not cooking a large meal.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,359,778 times
I started a little tradition with my family. When we put up our Christmas tree, I make it into a party with Christmas music and snacks. I always try to have presents wrapped to put under the tree when done and I usually go to the dollar store and have a wrapped present for everyone to open afterwards.

Other than that we usually go to my sister's Christmas Eve and I use to have Christmas day but because my kids are older that has been passed down to my nephew because he has 2 small kids and another on the way. It always gets passed down to the one with the smallest kids.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,220 times
Uhhh...it's September, lol.

I'm looking forward to eggnog, the kind with rum in it.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,911,752 times
Stepped inside a Kmart the other day and was met by a forrest of Christmas trees all decorated. So soon?!?!?!?!

Seems that Thanksgiving becomes less important year after year and people just wanna skip to the holiday where they get stuff. Not that Christmas isn't my favorite holiday, but I love me some Thanksgiving! I truly believe I could eat an entire pumpkin pie by myself. I've never tried it, for fear I might be right! LOL!

I love the getting together of friends during the holidays. I love cooking and watching people relax in our home. I love the smells surrounding the holidays. Mmmm... gingerbread! *drool*

I think the only tradition we've started was a nice big spaghetti dinner on Christmas! (now I've gone and made myself hungry!)

Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
Since the kids are grown, and there are no grandkids, yet...I look forward to the whole thing being OVER! Bah! Humbug! I really hate winter, and all that goes with it!
I used to enjoy it when the kids were little--it was so magical! But now, it's simply a hassle and I don't look forward to it at all.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,695,759 times
I love egg nog after Thanksgiving. We chop down our tree the day after thanksgiving. I love the cold nights when we turn on the fireplace. I love that the kiddos love hot chocolate. For the holiday, we bake goodies for the neighbors, we do dessert fondue for the kiddos on christmas eve and cheese w/wine fondue for us. The christmas tree always makes the house smell soooo nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics