U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,710,483 times

Advertisements

My online order from Nike came in two packages: one from UPS and one from FedEx. That's weird in it of itself but that's beside the point. I got both orders delivered to me on the same day and I noticed that the delivery guys nowadays just knock on the door and sprint back to the truck to leave ASAP!

I know that it saves time to knock and run but I miss the days where I can see a face and say hello! In our current society of "go go go" I actually thought it was kinda cool that you got a home delivery "service", and I guess I just didn't appreciate it 'til the service was gone.

I don't get deliveries often so maybe they've switched over to this knock and run routine for quite some time now but I especially noticed it yesterday b'c I got deliveries from both UPS and FedEx. I think on some occassion though signatures are still required because I do remember signing for something a while back ago.

I'm sure many will disagree with me or perhaps they "knock and run" all the time but I swear I used to sign for more stuff back then than I do now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,657,386 times
There for a while I was recieving a lot of things, some very expensive, the knock and run is understandable but I often wondered about leaving my stuff by the front door where anyone could take it. It's never happened so far but who knows.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Roaddog *knock on wood*

I know what you mean. We've been lucky, too, but have gotten a couple of expensive items in the past and have wondered, "Dang, someone could've stolen that!"

Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
They stopped their requirement awhile back for signing for parcels unless the sender requests a signature. This opens up theivery to no end, especially when the deliveries arrive early and you don't get home til late.
The drop and run is so they can get off as early as possible. They are assigned so many deliveries to be done in an 8 hour period. If they finish their deliveries early, they still get paid for the 8 hours and get to go home, or play, early. Before the change they had to deliver all day, get signatures and get home late in the pm.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,970,211 times
So far, out here in the boonies, almost always both services honk and knock. If I'm home they meet me at the door and I sign. If not home I always leave a note for them to drop pkgs. off at a neighbor's home. And so far they do. Over the years the knock and run has occurred about 4-5 times that I remember. I also appreciate the more personal service.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Interesting Nitram. I wonder why they don't just work the 8 hours and give incentives for doing more than "average" in an 8 hour period. I mean, that doesn't help my "knock and run" situation but at least they aren't rushing to leave work early. I guess, then, they would be rushing to get a bonus. Hmm, not sure if that's any better!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM

415 posts, read 716,840 times
Yep, it's true. We are in the world of go, go, go....lol
I always wondered if they eat their dinner that way too?...
I get a lot of deliveries from UPS and Fed X and nearly all my boxes are left at my door most of the time WITHOUT even a knock!. Sometimes I've even had my front door open (with the storm door) and they will still just leave it and run. Obviously, they can see that I am home. I noticed it more a couple of years ago with DHL. I remember those days that using those companies meant signing your name to everything whether it was confirmation or not. I guess the rules have changed. I think it would drive me crazy if i was delivering and had to wait for each person to mosey to the door to accept their package..Ugh!....so, I see their reason.

Even my USPS delivery lady did it the other day. I was standing in my garage working, glanced up to see that my mail was being delivered. My carrier left my mail and a box at my front door instead of just giving to me. I had nothing blocking her view of me in the garage. I didn't realize she had did this until I went to check mail box and saw my mail was on my front porch instead!
I'm glad you noticed this too, I thought it was my imagination

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Hmmm, maybe homes should come with their own mail shoot like they used to have in the day but bigger so it can fit larger items. You know, like at libraries where you return the books. Those are usually bigger!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Hmmm, maybe homes should come with their own mail shoot like they used to have in the day but bigger so it can fit larger items. You know, like at libraries where you return the books. Those are usually bigger!
We thought of that idea too, but was told by the local police that those bigger boxes burglars can crawl through them. It's not a win win situation these days.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM

415 posts, read 716,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Uh oh...now some Home builder company just got a idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics