U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think Marijuana should be legalized
Yes 34 57.63%
No 11 18.64%
Medical purposes only 14 23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 PM

12,785 posts, read 8,272,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I don't get it!

If smoking pot gives cancer, why then are cancer doctors giving marijuana (in pill form) to cancer patients to increase their appetite deformed by treatments?
I think because they are not smoking it-the smoking is where the problems arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 PM

15,009 posts, read 25,351,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I don't get it!

If smoking pot gives cancer, why then are cancer doctors giving marijuana (in pill form) to cancer patients to increase their appetite deformed by treatments?
Probably a scare tactic by the government or an avenue for cash by those that crave government grants to research unimportant things. I'd imagine smoking the dirt weed can be harsh to ones body. Over smoking can lead to resistance thus the need for ten times the amount to get the same buzz. I've seen much worse damage done by young folks that get staggering drunk day in and day out. As mentioned previously...moderation is the key. I don't buy the "leads to crack and and pills" either. I've never taken pills and would be first in line to burn down crack houses and meth labs and strangle those that prey on the young and old alike with their dealings and stealings to support their habits.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 AM

10,136 posts, read 13,303,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I don't think it should be legalized. That's all we need - more unhealthy mind-altering substances that are 'allowed.' Great. We're so responsible with the ones we have now.

UGH I think some people are missing the point.Those that smoke it now do so anyway legal or not.Wasting time and money toward this does nothing hardly to stop people.And why stop people?Why is alcohol legal which tends to have worse effects than MJ?

Mass amounts of people would not start smoking if it were legal,those that will will do it legal or not.

And honestly,its nobodies business to tell other people what they can't do as long as those people don't endanger or intrude on someone else.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 AM

5,666 posts, read 6,773,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
The trouble with making it legal is that there is very strong evidence to suggest that heavy, long-term usage can significantly increase the chances of developing a mental disorder such as paranoia or schitzophrenia (especially if it is used by people who's brains are still developing). I definately think it should be made legal for medical use though because then doctors would be able to prescribe it and the likelihood of it being abused is a lot less less than if you could just buy it from the corner shop.

This has been proven untrue by a group or scientist who spent three years in a cave. They lived on Cheetos and pot. When they came out they concluded that marijuna is harmless and the moon is trying to kill us. (thank you George Carlin)

Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 AM

641 posts, read 1,623,658 times
It should be legal and taxed.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,634,626 times
I haven't smoked marijuana in 20 some years. I haven't seen it as a "gateway" drug, as some folks might have, but with alcohol as a comparison, I see far many more families destroyed by alcohol than by any other drug, legal or illegal. I quit drinking 23 years ago, because I was on the road to ruin, and the Navy sent me to alcohol rehab. Thanks for the push, USN.

I will say that I wouldn't mind an occasional toke on a weekend evening with nothing better in line than the boob tube.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:54 PM

16,487 posts, read 12,011,044 times
It has been 22 years since I last smoked marijuana, but I did my fair share then. I just read an article on how National Parks are becoming huge growing fields for marijuana by drug dealers in Mexico. I know there have been many drug related deaths in our National Parks over the years related to this. The big issue is that these people could care less how they grow this stuff, they just want to make money. When the plants are young they throw out rat poisoning so that the animals do not eat the small plants. They saw carcasses of deer, elk, and all kinds of animals lie about the fields that have eaten this. They use pesticides that we have long ago banned here. It said that people now smoking this stuff have no idea at all that they are also inhaling pesticide residue etc. It is a scary thing.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:29 AM

15,009 posts, read 25,351,109 times
I think the plants look cool. I used to always have one growing in the house just like any other house plant back in my yonger wilder days. I was never one for buying the stuff. I also know many that attempted to buy like in Hawaii...and ended up with seaweed! And in San Antonio when I was in the military there were a few guys that bought prarie grass or some other strange weeds. I don't appreciate a moron that would dump poisons in a national park just to keep critters off his crop. Folks like that should be the ones laying there dead not innocent citizens or critters.

Last edited by Rance; 10-13-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM

511 posts, read 565,037 times
I think that it should atleast be legalized for medicinal purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics