U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,186,420 times
Default Do you go for a walk around your neighborhood?

Our street has a sidewalk but my wife and I are the only people we ever see walking around in the evening. I talk to neighbors who have never been to the park near our home ever. Why do so few people walk around the neighborhood now days? It is very safe where we live but no one is outside anymore!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 4,490,777 times
I walk around my neighborhood a lot but lots of people do here. I love the US and the people in it but a lot of folks on your side of the pond do seem to have an odd aversion to walking.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM

19,740 posts, read 16,397,115 times
We live in one of those country-ish neighbourhoods, no sidewalks here, just dirt. There are residents here who do their morning horseback though, its so nice to watch someone ride down the road on a horse. A common problem though, is the nearby new construction there have been reports of wild coyotes attacking pets.
I walk to my truck, does that count??

Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM

42,648 posts, read 19,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
We live in one of those country-ish neighbourhoods, no sidewalks here, just dirt. There are residents here who do their morning horseback though, its so nice to watch someone ride down the road on a horse. A common problem though, is the nearby new construction there have been reports of wild coyotes attacking pets.
I walk to my truck, does that count??
My parents bought their house in 1973, when I was 16, it's the same one you and I went to last year. But 35 years ago, 27th Ave was a 2-lane country road, one lane each direction, and there were ditches on both sides of the road. Back then we also used to see people riding horses on 27th.

And oh, I take my truck for a walk everyday, so you walking to your truck probably counts also!

Now... for those of you who are not familiar with Phoenix, about 17 miles southeast of where I live, don't bother any of the folks who "walk in the neighborhood" on East Van Buren Rd (4 miles east of downtown Phoenix)... some of those ladies might either ask you for money for a... little treat... and I'm not talking about a Halloween treat.. ... or they might be under-cover police officers! There are hotels in that area close to the airport, and if you want to walk, you might wanna avoid walking down on East Van Buren, especially if you're a woman..

Just thought I'd give some of you snow-birds and visitors a warning.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

8,893 posts, read 3,015,670 times
Hubby and I on ocassion do walk around our neighborhood. There are always people walking around here, it's an older development and for the most part the people are pretty friendly!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM

5,555 posts, read 4,089,025 times
I walk all the time, mainly because of the dog, but I would anyway for exercise. Quite a few dogwalkers around but I also see others walking or jogging - a few daily.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM

15,206 posts, read 24,835,064 times
Yes, I walk and there are a boatload of people walking around my 'hood. I don't know where you live, Refugee, but maybe it's too cold out for people? I'm in the desert and it's beautiful here. The weather is nice now that summer has passed. I take full advantage of the fact that there is a highschool less than 1/4 mile from my house. I go over there and play tennis, I run/walk/jog the track and play raquetball if I'm over there by myself. Here most people are out walking their dogs in the evenings. I have birds, so I'm not out walking them. Wish I could though!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,504,668 times
I walk almost every day now it's not boiling hot, the only fear I have is in the summer I might ignite from the heat I always see people out walking their dogs.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 PM

9,643 posts, read 10,627,207 times
I used to walk all the time but have gotten lazy, I keep meaning to start agian, I love to walk real early before the sun comes up, the colder the better.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:45 PM

5,826 posts, read 6,054,606 times
There are pathetic renditions of sidewalks here, but they are so uneven and usually blocked with one thing or the other, better to walk in the street. I do, on my better days walk with a big dog, up the street. But not everyone is physically able to walk and I fall into that category. I would love to walk for miles the way I used to. Sometimes we just don't get to live life the way we want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics