Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,470,963 times

Advertisements

I have solar lights outlining my driveway. Last week or so, my husband came home after boot camp, about 9:00PM, to notice that one of our solar lights that was at the very bottom of our driveway, was missing. Gone. So of course we think either kids, or perhaps someone who has the same solar lights (about 6 houses close by on our block) had one of theirs break and needed a replacement. It didn't just walk away. So whatever, things happen.

Well, last night, between 6:45 and about 9:30 PM, when hubby came home after boot camp, he noticed some other things about the solar lights. Another one was missing, and 2 more were vandalized. The top part of the light was lifted, the poles were taken, and then the light part was placed back onto the stake, so that it was now touching the ground. It's going to cost about $20 to replace all four.

I would think it is kids screwing with us, because it would have to be a really petty, jealous, crazy adult (I do think my house is the nicest one on the block, ya know ) to do something like this.

We want to catch them. I also want to prevent it in case we don't catch them. My friend suggested getting motion lights.

What would you do to either prevent it or to catch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
Motion lights are good, you can also buy security camera systems pretty cheap, I had some problems with someone breaking in the wifes car, I installed motion lites and haven't had a problem sinse.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,338,033 times
Motion lights are a good idea as long as you don't have deer tracking through like we do!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,102 times
We have security cameras. They're not too expensive. We even have a welcome mat at the front door that, when someone steps on it, it's connected to a camera in the doorbell and it snaps their picture (it's not unusual for someone who' looking to rob you, act like they're knockin' on the door, so they don't draw attention to themselves from other neighbors; when they notice no one answers the door, then they start snoping). The pictures are stored on a harddrive and can be downloaded and printed. Word to the wise, when you knock here... smile!

I'd look into ways to find out what's going on. You never know when a small crime can lead to a bigger one and if they think you don't care about your stuff getting damaged/ stolen, who knows what it might escalate in to. Every criminal out there started off doing small things.

As far as motion sensor lights, we have deer too and there's different settings you can adjust them at; how bright and how far away something/ someone has to be to trigger the light to come on full blast.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:08 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
same as france they torch you car there. big have/have not gap.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,338,033 times
Ok I just had a nasty, mean thought.

Try rigging a couple of the lights up with pepper spray or super glue! When you hear the buggers swearing out in the front yard, flip the light on and hey presto!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
We have security cameras. They're not too expensive. We even have a welcome mat at the front door that, when someone steps on it, it's connected to a camera in the doorbell and it snaps their picture (it's not unusual for someone who' looking to rob you, act like they're knockin' on the door, so they don't draw attention to themselves from other neighbors; when they notice no one answers the door, then they start snoping). The pictures are stored on a harddrive and can be downloaded and printed. Word to the wise, when you knock here... smile!

I'd look into ways to find out what's going on. You never know when a small crime can lead to a bigger one and if they think you don't care about your stuff getting damaged/ stolen, who knows what it might escalate in to. Every criminal out there started off doing small things.

As far as motion sensor lights, we have deer too and there's different settings you can adjust them at; how bright and how far away something/ someone has to be to trigger the light to come on full blast.
This sounds very interesting and something I could use. Can you give some more specific information about the doormat camera security system you mention. Is it widely available and what brand is yours. Thankyou in advance for the information. nitram

Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,323,979 times
pack dog crap in around and underneath them so that when they go to take them they get a handfull.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,188,631 times
OK, here we go...you can rent outdoor security cameras from private investigators or security firms. Then, go to hardtofindtools.com and order this hysterical sprinkler that has a motion detector in it...it is used to scare off cats from your bushes and flower beds.

When you hook up your hose to the house, but BEFORE you hook it up to the sprinkler, add bleach to the hose...then hook the hose up to the sprinkler and wait for your little friends to show up.

If you have a neighborhood website/forum you could post the information on the post the next day and have it read something like this "Just wanted to let you know that last night some vandals came by, took our lights, but we need your help finding them...there may be bleach stains on their clothing because our new hose was shooting it!" The only bad part about this is the fact that an animal might get shot with the bleach.

Another scenario, order the yard alarm. If anyone comes into the yard an alarm notifies you in the house and you can go to a window and see who is out there. Then you can get' em!!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This sounds very interesting and something I could use. Can you give some more specific information about the doormat camera security system you mention. Is it widely available and what brand is yours. Thankyou in advance for the information. nitram

You might want to check around on this site: LammenscoDirect.com To Order Call 1 888 632 5462. and click on the EntryVue option.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics