Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM

54,492 posts, read 33,850,127 times

Advertisements

What do I miss most about the 70's? Well.. I can tell you what I don't miss, Disco! I miss the black t-shirt I had around 1978, with "Disco Sucks" on the front in big letters!

I miss hard rock/heavy metal bands from the 1970's like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, early Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, a band I played in, in the late 1970's, through the mid 1980's, we did BOC's Cities On Flame with Rock N' Roll, we also did cover songs by bands like UFO, songs like Too Hot To Handle, and Lights Out London, we also did Deep Purple's Highway Star, Space Truckin', and Smoke On The Water (of course) , I like some Led Zeppelin, but I got burned out on them in the late 1970's. I also liked Ted Nugent, Steve Miller, I used to like Bob Seger, until I found out he abused his wife, then I threw away the 2 or 3 records I had, including the Seger Live album. Lynard Skynard was a favorite band, although I never cared too much for their wild lifestyle. I also liked The Charlie Daniels Band. Then of course in late 1977, when Van Halen's first album debuted, I definitely loved Eddie Van Halen's guitar style! I never cared for AC/DC, probably because of vocalists Bon Scott's and Brian Johnson's style of singing, for some reason their voice just got on my nerves!

I also miss gasoline prices, which around 1978 were something like 80 cents a gallon.. I remember when they went to 70 cents a gallon in early 1974, which was also when I first started driving, everybody freaked out and they were saying "This is way too expensive!"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
What do I miss most about the 70's? Well.. I can tell you what I don't miss, Disco! I miss the black t-shirt I had around 1978, with "Disco Sucks" on the front in big letters!

YouTube - 1979 Disco Demolition Night, Local News Coverage

At the start of the video you'll see one of those shirts.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,297 times
I miss a lot of it, too. Mostly the freedom of hanging out with friends, not worrying about keeping up with the Jones's, and the feeling of comradery just because you were part of that generation.

I get flashbacks, too, and then chuckle, when a younger person walks by and smells of patchouli! "You're a few decades too late...."

Roller rinks -- I'm surprised to hear other people mention them. I didn't realize so many other people hung out at the roller rinks! Geez, I really loved them! Every weekend my dad would drop me off at the rink, and there'd be at least 100 kids there roller skating! It was so much fun -- and probably how many of us stayed in shape!

And drive-ins....my friend and I used to climb over our local drive-in theater's fence and bring our own popcorn, then sit under the speakers and watch the movies in the back row! That was fun!

I miss light shows, and outdoor concerts, and hanging out while musician friends played music. It's just the whole vibe I miss.

Ahhh, another trip down memory lane (as long as I still have my memory!) :shocked

Thanks for the memories....

Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM

54,492 posts, read 33,850,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

YouTube - 1979 Disco Demolition Night, Local News Coverage

At the start of the video you'll see one of those shirts.
LOL.. I remember when that happened!

So... what do they do these days? Destroy Rap/Hip-Hop CD's?

By the way, for those Disco Ducks, who want to revive it, Disco Still Sucks!

Wow.. I feel like I'm back in the 70's now!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
So... what do they do these days? Destroy Rap/Hip-Hop CD's?
I'd start with the Backstreet Boys/Britney crap. But unfortunately, that old stunt killed any chance of a similar promotion at a baseball game afterward.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,625,267 times
I have to admit, mainly because I love to dance, I did and still enjoy some DISCO...lol
(although many won't admit it, CLUB MUSIC is basically DISCO!)
Rock IS my first love though.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM

513 posts, read 896,470 times
The prizes in cracker jacks boxes
Chico and the Man
The six million dollar man
Little house on the prairie
Sleestacks, Enik
pop rocks
drive in movie
romper stompers
The banana splits
H.R. puffin stuff

Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post

H.R. puffin stuff

YouTube - HR Puffnstuff

Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM

44,616 posts, read 61,553,895 times
I honestly don't miss much about the 70's. The hippies, drugs, protestors, music, the rat race, etc. Wasn't my cup o tea.
Did enjoy my kids being born then and the fun of raising them. Even thought the cost of living was lower then, it's was still the same old story, low wages, inflation, gas going up, politicians etal, the whole nine yards, just like today.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Oh ...I use to love the Partridge Family!

YouTube - The Partridge Family Opening TV Theme Song 1970

Finding more...
MORK & MINDY...lol

YouTube - Mork And Mindy TV Show Opening Theme Season One 1978
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics