Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM

279 posts, read 1,859,442 times

Advertisements

Our house has been listed for 2 weeks now. We had our first showing last weekend. Heard nothing back. I am starting to regret my agent choice. He hasn't brought a single person by, he is quick to get off the phone with me. I should have gone with the "big name" agencies, but tried to save a few dollars. I do expect visitors this weekend, hopefully, fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
Our house has been listed for 2 weeks now. We had our first showing last weekend. Heard nothing back. I am starting to regret my agent choice. He hasn't brought a single person by, he is quick to get off the phone with me. I should have gone with the "big name" agencies, but tried to save a few dollars. I do expect visitors this weekend, hopefully, fingers crossed.
I know how you feel. When I was listed back last year. We have very few showings. My agent did alot of open houses, but never had really got anywhere with them, just the lookie loo's being nosey. I read that the first week or so, is the busiest for your home to have walk throughs, showings.

When I relisted at the beginning of the month, I let myself stay calm and just went about my business. I said if it's meant then it'll sell. I honestly didn't think I'd sell this time around so quick. It really only takes that one special person to fall in love with the house. Besides the realtors' walking through, this was the only showing, so I got lucky I guess.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:58 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
Our house was listed for 6 weeks before we had our first showing and still have only averaged maybe 1 a week. Our agent doesn't do open houses nor brought 1 person by himself in 5 months. We still have a month to go with his listing contract but our contract on our new house runs out before then. The worst part is that our house is not that bad but it makes you feel like you have a dump because no one wants it .

Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM

229 posts, read 232,603 times
nomoresnow... have you looked in the master bath !!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
Trying to sell a house in hot, humid, destroyed and depressed Florida. Northwest panhandle. Seasonal, small service industry oriented. Six months on the market, 1 showing no offer. My entire county is like that. 20 out of 34 houses in my sub are for sale. Nothing moves. Business are closing left and right.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
Trying to sell a house in hot, humid, destroyed and depressed Florida. Northwest panhandle. Seasonal, small service industry oriented. Six months on the market, 1 showing no offer. My entire county is like that. 20 out of 34 houses in my sub are for sale. Nothing moves. Business are closing left and right.
Where do you live? Wow, 20 ot of 34 for sale. Why are so many people selling?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We are getting ready to put our house up for sale here in Parker, Colorado. We are hopeful that we can sell it before the winter here in Colorado starts up again this coming Oct.. We are "hopeful" that we won't have to spend another winter here in Colorado. This is our 4th winter that we are in now and this winter has definitely been the worse.
Depending on the location and "asking price" for the house, some houses are extremely hard to sell. Our "location" is very, very nice and the price we will be asking should be very affordable by many folks that have a descent income.
Good luck to all of you that have your homes "up for sale". It's not easy sometimes to sell a house.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I have to say something and I do not mean it in a negative way but rather I would like to enlighten many of you on how this whole thing works with listing agents. Very rarely will the listing agent also represent the buyer. Your listing agent knows your house and he knows what you have told him - or should have told him - on offers that you will take. If he gets a buyer that falls w/in that area they will show your house. Afterall if they represent both then they get ALL of the commission so of course the listing agents LOVE to sell their own listings. But the odds are low for this. Your listing agent is 1 of out of 100's if not 1000's of realtors in your area. What are the odds of him getting the call from the 1 buyer that would buy your house? Slim to none. Put yourself in a buyers shoes, do you want the agent you are using to only show you their listings? Doubt it. If you have listed it w/ a realtor that uses MLS and you have it at a price that is fair for the market there is not much more your agent can do. The rest falls upon the seller. If there are tons of homes for sale in your area then you have a lot of competition and you need to be up for it. While your house may look clean and updated to you it may not to the buyers. Ask your agent to come in and give you ideas and to be brutally honest with you about what you can do to make your house more appealing to buyers. The buyers have to find your house appealing, not you. But be ready for his/her comments and don't take them personally. You want your agent to work for you then you have to give them the opportunity and accept it and then do it. The other suggestion is to double check the info on the computer and the graphics/handouts. Make sure it is accurate. Too many times I have seen some that are so wrong and misleading that it is a sure turn off and they probably lose showings because of typos and misinformation. If pics are not online of your house and property, get them. Again, if you have listed it w/ a realtor that uses MLS and they have gotten all of the information into MLS and priced the house accordingly, there is not much more they can do. It would not matter what agent you were using if there were not buyers that fit the mold of your house. It takes having the right buyer not the right agent the majority of the time. If houses are not selling at all in your area and many are for sale, there is very little the agent can do. Afterall your wanting out too so what makes it that appealing of an area for buyers to flock to?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
I hear what you are saying momof2dfw. This is our delima our garage door shows wear and apparently a couple of lookers have comented on that and I asked my agent if I should replace it to give a better first impression and he said no, to lower the price to account for it. When we have a showing, I don't think it is too much to ask for the agent to do his job and get feedback, he has never called me with this info, I always had to call him, for instance we had someone look at the house than come back an hour later to look again and we thought we were getting a contract, never heard from my agent and called him 2 days later and he never bothered to call the agent, again the people came back for the third time and he never bothered to call to follow-up. He always says he is soo busy, well if you are too busy to market my house than maybe you shouldn't bother. He won't do open houses, I don't think it is too much to ask to make a phone call to let us know that you are doing something, before we listed he called all the time to see if we were ready, after listing he never calls.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
If it was me, I'd probably go ahead and replace the garage door. Just to give it that clean fresh look and one less thing for buyers to have to think about fixing. As for feedback, a lot of times the realtor that showed the house won't return calls or give any feedback. Since it is not their listing and their buyers are not going to buy it, they dismissed it or moved on, they don't feel they need to or have to. Sadly these are sometimes the worst ones about getting mad at other realtors for not doing the same. I'm not a realtor but my mother and several friends are so I hear it all the time. Realtors have a strange attitude, not all of them but enough to make it bad at times. If there is nothing in it for them then they won't do anything, like give feedback. If someone came to look a third time then someone needs to get some feedback. Surely there is SOME, at least you would think there is. Typically if someone is even bothering to come back for a third time their agent should have said something to the listing agent if the people were interested in the house by now. Feedback is one of those things that is going by the wayside in the industry though.

As for open houses. Many realtors do not do them anymore for safety reasons. There have been rapes and even murders of agents while holding an open house. They are a sitting duck and a prime target for weirdo's. Instead ask your agent about tours for agents. This gets other agents in the area into your house to preview it. Most offices do tours of their listings so that the other realtors in the office can see what others have on the market. This gets rid of the nosey neighbors and it is seen by realtors that may have a client interested in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics