U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-10-2008, 03:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,104,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's along Interstate 10 in southeastern, Arizona.

The THING

I think Livewire calls it "The Thingy"...

DOH! Now you've let everyone know what it is!

LOL... K.. best part of this story... I was like 10 when we went to see it. My Mom didn't wanna go in (it cost $10 each! ). So she opted to stay in the gift shop. Well, the cashier didn't know she was with us and as we walked into go see The Thing, the one cashier looked at the other and said, "Spoiled brat" and my Mom heard it. LOL! Classic!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM

40,746 posts, read 17,934,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Tpabes is right! The Cosmos is really cool! One place I've been meaning to visit is "The Thing". I have no idea what "The Thing" is but there are plenty of signs advertising it. It's off Interstate 10 in SE Arizona. Zonababe and Magnum Mike, what's with that place? Either of you visit there?
National Lager Day?!? Bigtime yums!!!
I remember my parents taking us there when we were kids, and that was around 1970 or so, but I don't remember much about the place, since it's been about 38 years now.

I know I was driving back from Houston on I-10 one time in 1984, I saw the billboard, and I thought about stopping there, but I didn't have time.

Unread 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM

22,819 posts, read 14,132,840 times
I didn’t enjoy being stupid and saying “good afternoon to a fellow employee “ that I met away from the company and adding “so this is your mom?” And having him reply “no ~ it’s my wife!”.. ….. damn was my foot in my mouth on that one.

Never had TP on the shoe, but Mrs Aks has had it stuck tucked into the back of her waistband on the skirt as she came out of the bathroom of the aircraft and walked down the isle back to her seat.

Tourist attraction,,,,, Wall Drug in Wall S.D. is about the strangest place just off I-90. You don’t want to miss it if you’re driving through the state and need to stop for a break.

Unread 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,767,023 times
Today's Question:

What was your last "oops did I really just say that" moment ? I was talking to the head engineer on a job I had just started, when after much frustration with bad parts yelled "Who was the idiot that designed this piece of crap!!". The engineer stated,"I did!" So much for first impressions on a job!!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever walked out of a bathroom with toilet paper on your shoe? Yes, It's amazing how many people notice something so minor.

Bonus Question:

What was the most unusual or maybe even strange tourist attraction you have every stopped at? "The House On The Rock" in Wisconsin. He understood what collecting is all about!! I would love a collection of that magnitude!!

Unread 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,172,244 times
recently I said, in front of my uncle, that if I had to go back to work I was putting my DD into a really nice daycare. I felt bad because he does a lot of babysitting for me and I thought that might have made him feel he wasn't a good enough babysitter to do it all the time

Yes, I have left the BR w/ toilet paper on my shoe.

Weird tourist attractions--hm can't think of one but speaking of toilets paper,

the weirdest public bathroom I ever saw was in Russia.

Imagine the basin of a sink flush with the tile floor. That was the Toilet!!! Basically a sink in the ground. I was really glad I'd been hovering over toilets from a really young age, because if not that kind of setup would have really been a challenge. I also had to pay for the TP in that bathroom!

Can you imagine having to drip dry while hovering over that kind of toilet? YIKES!!!!!

Unread 11-11-2008, 05:38 AM

17,598 posts, read 19,795,915 times
Hey all
some really funny answers on the thread

well back from Jury Duty and sadly our group wasn't needed. We did get to go into a courtroom and watch them question the other half of our group that was needed. The judge kept our half in there so that another Judge couldn't take us. He said "you might have to wait a little longer but this way you will be able to leave and not have to come back" How cool was he !!!
It is a very interesting process watching the attorneys question the other half of our group.
to see if they wanted them.

I actually decided I would like to be on a jury one of these days !!!

ok so I guess I better post my answers to

Today's Question:

What was your last "oops did I really just say that" moment ?

Early on Halloween I got a phone call from my friend next door we were chatting away and I asked what the kids were getting dressed up as. They are always our 2nd trick or treaters and I have special candy for them.
She said one was going as Indiana Jones and she was trying to get his costume done in time but needed to figure out what to use to make the whip.
So I told her " I have a whip you can borrow let me go get it from the bedroom"

I then realized what had come out of my mouth

I quickly explained that I had taken down my box of Halloween costumes from the attic so a friend could borrow one and the whip was part of a Cowboy & Indian costume and was actually in the 3rd bedroom.

well the 2 of us just started laughing so hard we couldn't talk.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever walked out of a bathroom with toilet paper on your shoe?

Yup lol years ago I was at a really fancy nightclub in NYC, you know the type where you have to wait line to be "picked" to go in. the friend I was with knew people so we didn't have to wait.

Well the bathroom was down some stairs

As I came out of the bathroom all ready to do some more dancing when my friend I was with pointed out I was trailing a very long piece of TP on my high heel.

Bonus Question:

What was the most unusual or maybe even strange tourist attraction you have every stopped at?

I have always wanted to see the really unusual ones like the big ball of twine or the biggest peanut
the closest I have come is the "south or the Border" one that I would pass every time we drove to Florida with whats his name "pedro" that has billboards starting a couple hundred miles inviting you to stop by.
I finally stopped the year I moved to Florida.

I keep telling hubby I would love to do a road trip just to go to the different ones around the country .

ok off to start todays thread

Unread 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM

17,949 posts, read 5,356,025 times
Today in History:
November 10, 1775 Congress forms U.S. Marine Corps
November 10, 1919 American Legion's 1st national convention (Minneapolis)
November 10, 1951 1st long distance telephone call without operator assistance
November 10, 1969 "Sesame Street" premieres on PBS TV
On November 10, 1975 the ore carrier Edmund Fitzgerald disappeared an a freak winter gale on Lake Superior, with the loss of all crewmen.

YouTube - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald edited by Joseph Fulton

http://www.ssefo.com/

Last edited by debey; 11-11-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: added 2nd link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics