Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times

Advertisements

Not in the right order but I don't really have a "want" for Christmas...I just love the fact that we are all together and have a lot of laughs and just plain enjoy the holidays. Kind of a comfort thing.

Our "stuff" always ends up in our spare rooms upstairs. Mail and other things end up on counters and cabinets. I start the week out shiny clean and then by Friday it is piling up. Vicious cycle really.

I could go one day without TV- computer-and a phone...music I'm not sure about but that one day would have to be a Saturday or Sunday. I never take my computer with me when I go places and I never ask anyone if I can use theirs. Drives me crazy when people come to my house and without asking just get on my computer. It is in my kitchen.

May I jsut add that everyday should be world kindness day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Karla, I lived the first five years of my life without any of the things you mentioned.

When Hugo came through I can't remember how long it was that we were without electricity. The telephone seems to always keep working. I don't own a cell phone and may get one some day. Mr. VA has started to worry about me when I go shopping. He is too old to be worrying like that.

We had an ice storm a few years back that took electricity away. We have a dial phone we use when the electricity goes out. It got so cold in my house I had to help the dial go in both directions to call out. We went to a motel. The telephone worked just fine, except for the dial-freeze. The only room still available was the most expensive suite in the motel. Since we were under emergency circumstances they let us have it for the price of a regular room. I still love those people.

When we want something, we just go buy it. I like things like socks that say "I love Grandma" and hope they have not spent too much on them. Young people have it rough these days. Mr. VA and I are looking for a car and hope we find what we want before the bank loses our money.

"Catch all" is definitely the diningroom table, the fireplace hearth, the chair as we come through the door. Most of my cleaning is picking up from those places. There are places in our home that the floor may not be stepped on for a week.

Why do you think people spend so much time washing windows? I can see out just fine and I am looking through 2 windows. We have storm windows too.

I knew about the Mississippi being changed by the earthquake. They still get earthquakes in that area. I worked in reference in the library and a patron came in looking for information on the earthquake. There are books written about this.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php
When The Mississippi Ran Backwards by Jay Feldman--This is the book I found for the patron.

Last edited by NCN; 11-13-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

What do you really really hope to get for Christmas, but will probably end up buying it for yourself, because no one thinks of this item as a "good gift" item? Hmmm... a wife?
LOL, are you saying that because no one is going to buy you a wife for Christmas, you're going to buy one yourself. I don't know Mike, I never thought of you as a mail ordered bride kinda guy.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Indian pudding day? Has the potential for yums, I believe!
I have no idea what "Indian Pudding" is, but I have a feeling it's very spicy.. I wonder if it comes in chocolate flavor?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Yes, easily. That's why I go camping and cleanse myself of modern conveniences

I don't do a gift exchange with anyone at any time and have never appreciated such things. It's not about me or us, it's about Christ, honoring Him and living by The Word. I never understood where Santa Claus and the presents and the reindeer all came into play. I just don't get it - and I am not a party to it.

My drop stuff area is under the kitchen table.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I have no idea what "Indian Pudding" is, but I have a feeling it's very spicy.. I wonder if it comes in chocolate flavor?
Indian Pudding Recipe | Simply Recipes

Mike, I will take credit for one reference question! LOL

Mike, I went looking because I expected it to be something like corn pudding. It was cornmeal instead and yes, many spices. Wish I had seen this before the monthly health dinner.

Last edited by NCN; 11-13-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Yes, easily. That's why I go camping and cleanse myself of modern conveniences

I don't do a gift exchange with anyone at any time and have never appreciated such things. It's not about me or us, it's about Christ, honoring Him and living by The Word. I never understood where Santa Claus and the presents and the reindeer all came into play. I just don't get it - and I am not a party to it.

My drop stuff area is under the kitchen table.
AliceT, we have a friend that goes to one of those churches that believes in being absolutely truthful to children and they don't do Santa Claus at their home. Since we go to church and they go to church our friend expected Mr. VA to back him up when he was having a discussion about this at work. My husband's answer, "I don't trust anyone that does not believe in Santa Claus." I think Santa Claus is just a way for parents to show love to their children. You are right though and he was too.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
LOL, are you saying that because no one is going to buy you a wife for Christmas, you're going to buy one yourself. I don't know Mike, I never thought of you as a mail ordered bride kinda guy.
LOL.. no I'm not the "mail order bride" kinda guy, I was thinking more like, the gal that I know, showing up at my door...

I guess I'm lazy..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Could you go 24 hours on without using "electronic technology" such as cellphone, computer and the TV ? I could but it would be tough.
(because of folks having to work lets say it would be on a weekend )

Extra Credit Question:

Since we are all starting to get into the "Holiday Spirit"

What do you really really hope to get for Christmas, but will probably end up buying it for yourself, because no one thinks of this item as a "good gift" item?
Can't think of anything.

Bonus Question:

What is the "stuff drop spot" in your house?
You know the one place that no matter how hard you try "stuff" seems to accumulate there ? Coffee table

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Indian Pudding Recipe | Simply Recipes

Mike, I will take credit for one reference question! LOL

Mike, I went looking because I expected it to be something like corn pudding. It was cornmeal instead and yes, many spices.

Thanks NCN. I have added that to my "Thanksgiving recipes to try" folder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics