U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM

4,891 posts, read 12,103,664 times

Advertisements

has anyone had someone call saying "you have a collect call from a mr. Gary Seal, and the call has already been paid for".
the first time, i said that i didnt know anyone by that name and the man put me through anyway.
the guy got on the phone and sounded like a cheesy car salesman. i thought for sure i was being pranked by a radio station in california (that is where i believe the man stated he was from). i hung up immediately.
today it happened again, this time i just hung up while the guy was telling me i had a prepaid long distance call from Mr gary seal--again.

has this happened to any of you??

PS> this happened on my business phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,096,128 times
Any information show up on caller I D? I'd report it to the phone company whether it did or did not show up.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM

4,891 posts, read 12,103,664 times
it says "unknown name, unknown number"

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,096,128 times
Maybe the phone company can find out??? In the olden days if you called the operator immidiatly after a call they could find the number. With technoligy now I would hope they could. Good Luck I would think that is annoying. Maybe since it's a business phone you could say that "this facility does not accept collect calls"
Plus if it already paid for??? that wouldn't be collect. Sounds like one of those scames I heard about a while back...Then you get slammed with hundreds of dollers on your phone bill.

https://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/...tCallsScam.asp

That is just one, it mentions businesses recieving these calls. I searched collect call scams. There are many. From prisons, and Mexico etc...

Reading through many of the phone scams...I found some phone companies offer free "Block third party" calls. After reading some horror stories of people getting bilked out of their money (even if your answering machine picks up) I'm going to call my phone provider and get the block.

Last edited by sapphire-rose; 01-15-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,524,329 times
I would check your account online now to see if there are any charges related to the call. I'd do this for the next several days to see if anything unusual shows up.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM

28,513 posts, read 21,646,069 times
Sapphire Rose is correct. More than likely an overseas scam to verify your phone number so they can make calls all over the world and charge it to your phone numbe. It's been happening for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics