Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,694,317 times

Advertisements

A post in one of the threads got me thinking about how we interact inside this forum and also in our personal lives. The poster made a statement that he figured some people who posted in this forum were the ones that would never say those things to another person; thus it's easier to speak through a keyboard than to a person.

I've really thought about it and have come up with this question. Why is it a bad thing to speak through a keyboard? For the person who has a difficult time sharing their feelings or gets talked over by people with stronger personalities, it's about time their opinons are heard.

I've learned so much from others POVs. And because of that I've noticed a change in my life and in how I relate to others. I also feel much more informed and have been researching subjects that I wouldn't necessarily have researched before.

Heck, I'm even reconsidering some of my political views...(all you liberals, don't get too happy! ) Seriously though, what do you think about speaking through a keyboard? And how can we take our thoughts off the keyboard and into our daily lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
I'm pretty much the same in person... very outspoken, politically/socially liberal, and not afraid to speak my mind! I've been called a chatterbox, and have a tendency to interrupt people - not on purpose, it's just how all the women in my family are! But I do know when to shut up, and tone myself down in certain situations. I'm sure there are slight differences in my "typing personality", since nobody writes exactly how they speak... guess I'm a bit more sarcastic, and slightly more confrontational. I generally don't like to be rude in "real life", whereas I get that way occasionally online. I'm not afraid of being punched out or anything, it's just harder to be mean to somebody's face. There's also a different dynamic online, since you get to stew on everyone's comments before responding... plus you get to edit yourself (as I'm doing right now, lol), which you can't do in person.

P.S. You know you're dying to join us liberals on the dark side... hehehe.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
It's not a bad thing to speak through a keyboard.
Communication is always good if it *really* goes two ways.
I am pretty much the same person IRL as my online persona: an aging hippie, a wife and mother, and a preschool teacher, who doesn't know where she will be living in two months.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,470,405 times
Who are you to assume that I have a life beyond my keyboard?

I'm the same in "real life" as I am here, I think- salty, but lovable I have my opinions and am not afraid to put them out there, so I guess in that regard I'm not for everybody.

And, Hoosier- liberals have much more fun than conservatives. C'mon- try it. You know you want to...

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,694,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
And, Hoosier- liberals have much more fun than conservatives. C'mon- try it. You know you want to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. You know you're dying to join us liberals on the dark side... hehehe
Okay don't be trying to "convert" me or anything! Don't be expectin' a Hillary bumper sticker on my car or anything

My sister is the only true liberal in our family. She is the only one who didn't vote for Bush...and she lives in Ohio!! We jokingly tell her we'll keep praying for her to see the truth.

And I too am the same person on the keyboard as off, just not as much opportunity to discuss these types of topics. It's usually about kid's school activities, why isn't there gas in the car, what should we do for dinner...Mickey D's or Arbys or ugh, I don't want to shovel the driveway again...when is it gonna be spring already!!

And just so you know I totally appreciate all of you!! I really enjoy interacting with you on these threads.

Enjoy the weekend and don't forget....it's time change tonight SPRING Ahead!! yeah, one less hour of sleep! Guess it's naptime today to make up for it.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 AM

22,995 posts, read 34,256,841 times
I am the same person off the keyboard too. I don't say anything here that haven't said to a "live" person And I am not looking forward to the time change

Old 03-10-2007, 11:58 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,455,576 times
I'm pretty much the same as online here, which is that i don't really indulge in politics or religion all that much which usually seems to be done in vain (or one-upmanship) without anyone really sincerely wanting to learn. (o.k...i'm going off on a tangent..time to reel myself in...) I am quite funny, which probably doesn't translate all that well (for me...at least) online.

I'd have to say,though, my 'online persona' probably doesn't do me justice. I am way more interesting in person. (at least i think...that i come off as boring online anyways...)

Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,124 times
Online, offline....always gotta be me.

Gizmo, you and I are very much alike and I agree with your statements above.

BGF, I think you're funny and I agree with your statements about the political forum, that's why I don't go there.

As far as learning anything here....I've been able to pick up some good tips, received good info. about the area I was moving to (original reason to be here) and found out there are more closed minded, judgemental people out there then I thought.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM

484 posts, read 1,938,893 times
I'm a nursing student who works in a call center. I was doing the online "social networking" thing before it was cool. I always try to be the same person on line as I am offline: polite and thoughtful. I'm a liberal, but not as much as my husband.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,127,347 times
I guess I'm outnumbered here. I'm just a boring conservative!
I am "once you get to really know me and I feel totally comfortable with you which is very hard for me to do as I have a shell of insecurity around me" the same person offline as on.
I've really enjoyed this forum too because; as a stay at home mom; I don't get all that much conversation with anyone older than 3 (including my husband at times...lol j/k) For the most part I am a very VERY quiet person and do not give my opinion on things which probably leads some to assume I don't have one or my constant exposure to the disney channel and preoccupation with potty training has turned my brain to mush.
So thankyou forum for listening to my inane ramblings that may or may not make any sense!
and I would like to add that I met my husband online which I truly believe was a blessing from God and that I would have never been able to get to know him so intimately in such a short period of time if it were not for the security of online chatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics