Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I agree and hate to see employees doing just that, while others are carrying the load of work that needs to get done. Hourly pay isn’t the problem it’s when a boss or supervisor fails to identify and allow this type of work ethics to occur on the job. I’ve had outstanding managers who “motivate” employees and they (workers) seem to work even harder.

I’ve also had people work not by the hour but by the job, ~ they are running to finish the work so they can leave early or limit the time spent. The finished job looks bad and has to be done over. My wife and I had new granite tops placed in three bath rooms of the house, the crew came and removed the old tops in the morning; while later in the day another crew came and put in the new granite tops. They moved so fast trying to get the job done within a short time that it was a mess. The entire job all three tops had been destroyed and redone. New granite had to be used polished and cut for size and for the sinks, extra costs of materials and time all wasted because the workers “hurried” the job and lost the quality of work.

I want fair pay for a fair days work with quality craftsmanship, good work ethics are hard to beat.
Also when the union protects these drones that dont' care about poor quality or even working to begin with.

dont' get me wrong.......I support unions but just think they take it a tad too far and that is what is wrong with this country today.
Wages are too high and quality too low.

Understand, I also recongize there are many great American workers but the union law needs to change so the drones get to work union or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I can SOOOO relate to that. When I did work out in the field, on some jobs, we got paid piecework. And guess who got the majority of the job done???

Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Smile You just had to get me started didn't you :-) LOL

Don't get me started!

Interesting how not all workers are the same, this includes hourly paid and managers on straight salary. We all have seen or identified with good and bad in our lives thus we each form opinions of issues and people. I normally find that mine can be limited a little, and perhaps unfair at times depending on the topic.

That being said, not all unions are protecting their members. I can’t speak for “all” however I had been a union employee by choice at one time and found that if an hourly employee didn’t produce and meet the expected production standards that employee would be unprotected by the union if production, standards, and other company rated benchmarks were failed to be met. The company and union worked together to establish benchmark standards that employees had to achieve or the employee would be gone.

Interestingly enough most all hourly paid employees did keep their jobs, there were some who failed and were moved to jobs they could do or had to leave the company. Performance was not taken lightly. The interesting part is that some poor management that did not meet the levels of what would be considered a good company employee ~ they remained and received a continued salary with less then 40 hours of work time being given each week.

The point I’m making is that hourly or not ~ union or non ~ occupational or management in any company or business it comes down to that individual person and their personal work ethics. I’ve seen very hard working managers, I’ve seen very hard working occupational workers as well in union and non-union business. Most employees like their jobs and work hard to help the company customer and coworkers.

On a side note ~ Did anyone see that hourly worker (union or non) take that gross bonus or golden parachute when they left the company? I did see many CEOs walk out the door with an enormous personal financial gain. One in mind is the United Health Care Insurance company that left with 1 Billion dollars ~ need I say more? I’m sure he didn’t put in a 40 hour work week at times. This was William McGuire of UHC that walked away. Another source that I can’t find at the moment estimated it was 1.78 Billion.

FORTUNE: The real CEO pay problem - July 10, 2006

Don’t read the bottom of the article or you’ll be as made as me, and my insurance claims go unpaid because I have to be in network and pay the deductible first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics