U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,736,672 times

Advertisements

Professional baseball players are just a tad overpaid in my opinion.

As for underpaid, I'd probably say police officers, fire fighters or ambulance crews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM

25,463 posts, read 11,513,403 times
Parade magazine that comes with our Sunday paper will sometimes have an article about 'Who Makes What'. It is pathetic to read the variances in salaries for some of these people. Actors, politicians, sports figures, musicians, as well as most CEOs, are 'overpaid' IMHO. Of course sports figures will tell you that they only can perform for a limited number of years due to age, injuries and declining abilities.

Underpaid? Again, IMHO, the little guy and gal struggling to make ends meet by putting in overtime at a job that most would never take. I've cleaned the floor at a fast food restaurant when I was very young. No degree required, no special talent. But it sure was not a great job to have while I was waiting for my applications as a bookkeeper were being handed out.

Everyone mentions teachers. Mostly I would agree. However the system appears to be broken. I believe in the merit system not the longevity system. You do an excellent ';job', I believe that you should be recognized by an increase in your salary. Our local ambulance district personnel are making pretty good wages. As VP of the board, their salaries are always at the top of my list whenever funds become available.

I believe that our county sheriff's department should and could use an increase in their salaries. Fighting the bad guys and gals around here is a tremendous undertaking considering they fight every single day and night with the druggies. I could go on and on about our local service personnel but i wont. We have the very best around here. And I thank them.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,868,938 times
IMO, celebrities, professional athletes, attorney's...and sometimes stylists.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

49,150 posts, read 27,793,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Well, I just want to win the lottery-is that so much to ask?
I think lottery winners are underpaid too...

There's actually some truth behind my statement. In most states, lottery winners are given two options to collect the winnings. Cash value, or annuity. We'll use a 1 million dollar jackpot as an example to illustrate how much winners actually get.

With the cash value option, which is the preferred one by most winners, after taxes and everything, they'll only get between $300 and $350 thousand dollars.

With the annuity option, where most states have it over a 25-year period, over the 25 years, winners will get between $30,000 and $34,000 a year net after taxes, while your state's government invests the money and collects dividends and interest over the 25 years. The total value after the investment has matured can sometimes be twice the value of the original $1 million jackpot.

So if you're under 40 years of age, and you win a $1 million lottery, don't count on retiring because the government will get a big chunk of those winnings.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Another thing I thought about when it comes to the underpaid and overpaid. If you really want to see the best example of overpaid, look at those oil sheiks in the middle-east. What they get paid makes the richest CEOs in the United States look like homeless men. They are families that run and control each one of those countries, as they have through generations. The oil revenues are used to build wealth for all citizens in those countries, but not help the Palestinians, who are also Arab Muslims. It's also been known that some of that revenue has helped supply Hamas with the monetary funds to smuggle arms into Gaza and cause problems in that region, not to mention operate schools in those countries that teach radical Islamic theology, where some of those September 11th hijackers have attended, and yet leave the citizens of Gaza in poverty. The wealth of these people is unimaginable, and they don't do enough to help correct the problems of poverty and hunger in Gaza, and in other places, mainly Africa. Instead, they spend their wealth on Airbus A380 jetliners, skyscrapers that are over 2000 feet in height, very expensive automobiles, and other things that are too numerous to mention.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM

28,348 posts, read 24,956,832 times
Wink .

Oh,, Mike you are so correct on your post. I’ve seen some of the media stories on this topic.

One of the problems is not only identifying how “they” are but how “we” should be in our own nation and monitoring our “own” ethics morals and responsibilities before we can begin to control or attempt to control another counties wealth and issues.

We’ve not set much of a roll model for the rest of the world at times with many of the things we do or don’t do. However this is where we should have control of our own first! Lead by example as I’ve always been told.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM

8,181 posts, read 15,476,640 times
I'm not gonna be popular with the college sports fans but......

Major college coaches are WAY over paid. Now I'm a Nole's fan but think Bobby Bowden is paid about $7 million too much.
This goes for any of the coaches of schools this large.

You have people who can't afford the rediculous cost of college and they get paid this much? And don't get me started of where those corporate sponserships could go.

Under-paid? Most civil servants, including and not limited to teachers, cops, firemen etc etc etc.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM

28,348 posts, read 24,956,832 times
Smile an who's money made their wealth ~And lead to our demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Another thing I thought about when it comes to the underpaid and overpaid. If you really want to see the best example of overpaid, look at those oil sheiks in the middle-east. What they get paid makes the richest CEOs in the United States look like homeless men. They are families that run and control each one of those countries, as they have through generations. The oil revenues are used to build wealth for all citizens in those countries, but not help the Palestinians, who are also Arab Muslims. It's also been known that some of that revenue has helped supply Hamas with the monetary funds to smuggle arms into Gaza and cause problems in that region, not to mention operate schools in those countries that teach radical Islamic theology, where some of those September 11th hijackers have attended, and yet leave the citizens of Gaza in poverty. The wealth of these people is unimaginable, and they don't do enough to help correct the problems of poverty and hunger in Gaza, and in other places, mainly Africa. Instead, they spend their wealth on Airbus A380 jetliners, skyscrapers that are over 2000 feet in height, very expensive automobiles, and other things that are too numerous to mention.
Gott’a remember how they got all their wealth ~ maybe if our nation back in the late 70’s early 1980 would have listened to Jimmy Carter and demanded that the new Energy Commission that he started to help our nation get off of foreign oil and become more energy efficient do what they were suppose to do – “get off of foreign oil” and become energy efficient with alternative fuels. Yes indeed our nation would be better off today and the Arab countries would not have all their (American) wealth.

So what happened from the early 80’s to today?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM

16,267 posts, read 17,281,181 times
This is a interesting list. Note it can be sorted in a variety of ways.

The World's Billionaires - Forbes.com

Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Gott’a remember how they got all their wealth ~ maybe if our nation back in the late 70’s early 1980 would have listened to Jimmy Carter and demanded that the new Energy Commission that he started to help our nation get off of foreign oil and become more energy efficient do what they were suppose to do – “get off of foreign oil” and become energy efficient with alternative fuels. Yes indeed our nation would be better off today and the Arab countries would not have all their (American) wealth.

So what happened from the early 80’s to today?
There's a lot more to it than what you're implying, Aksarben. I'll send you a DM to avoid being way off topic here.

I agree that we need to gruadually eliminate our reliance on foreign oil, and since this is a topic about the overpaid and underpaid, the board of directors at Mobil, Chevron, and other oil companies, need to fire their CEOs. They're only looking out for their own interests, and keeping their stockholders happy, instead of focusing also on the future of our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics