Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times

Advertisements

Met Julio Iglesias at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis both nights that he performed there. I still love his singing.

Many, many years ago, about 50 or so, I was sitting at the bar in a tavern/restaurant in North St. Louis near the Lambert Field (airport) and McDonnell Aircraft Company Headquarters. While waiting for my friends to arrive the man next to me and I began talking with each other and the bartender. We exchanged information about our families, showed pictures, things like that. Then we exchanged names. This very nice man was Walter (Wally) Schirra, one of the original 7 astronauts. I was totally awed.

When I worked at Washington University in St. Louis it was my duty to secure and furnish a suite for a visiting actress. I made sure that the accommodations were perfect as could be. Ordered flowers, special lotions, shampoo, and other toiletries. When 'my' guest arrived I was one of those who accompanied her to her suite. We all introduced ourselves to her and she thanked us for the special treatment. 'My' guest was someone that I would imagine not many reading this would even recognize...Mary Wicks. Ms. Wicks was born in St. Louis and had attended Wash U, as some call it. She frequently came 'home' to teach.

When she left she came to my office ( at that time I was 'Chief Accountant') and gave me a gift. I still have it. A 5 piece travel case. Loved her acting before I met her and was saddened by her death about 13-14 years ago.

Have also met many of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team players over the years. Fun group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
When i was 10 years old in 1974 i got to meet NFL all pro defensive lineman Bob Lilly of the Dallas Cowboys (60's-70's) as he co-owned a chain of resturaunts in Texas and New Mexico and he was at the grand opening of a new one in las cruces, nm and we where there that day to see him and i got to shake his hand as i was stoked as he was one of my football idols back then .

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I met chuck Oconners at a gas station, he was real creepy.
Once while in Tahoe there was a celebrity golf terminate, i met some basket ball stars, they were much bigger in real life than on tv, I didn't know their names but the wife did, one morning I was ghaving coffee and one of the ESPN announcers sat with me, he was real nice and down to earth but his wife came over and told him he had more important people to talk to than me, he was embarassed, she was an ass.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
Having spent 10 years as a chaplain to the NHRA I know most of the drivers. I've been to some of their homes and flew in their planes. When The Coach, Joe Gibbs, owned a Top Fuel team he let us use his hospitality area for Thur evening bible studies. I also helped engineer a live recording session for John Gary, for those who are old enough to remember him.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Tim Richmond, the late NASCAR driver was in my high school graduating class. I knew Tim but we really weren't in the same league; he was quite the jock and "celebrity" even back then. I pretty much kept to myself...

My only other "brush with greatness" was riding on a Navy P-3 from South Carolina to California with Admiral Jim Stockdale, Viet Nam war hero and former Vice-Presidential candidate. The P-3's crew asked that we not bother him so we only exchanged "hello"s.

GEN Chuck Yeager; stationed in Idaho, I had the pleasure of servicing his aircraft several times when he stopped at our base. GEN Yeager is one down-to-earth, humble and very engaging man!

OH! I once drove the truck-mounted aircraft stairs that President Clinton used on a visit to Boise, ID...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-13-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Add information

Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I forgot one!

Back in '89, I went to IReland with a tour group. We were there during the student riots in China (Tianamin Square). Turns out they were diverting planes to China to get as many US citizens out as possible. When we landed at LaGuardia in NYC, I was one of the first off the plane. This local news guy ran up to me, asked me, "What was it like over there?" and stuck a microphone in my face. Having been out of the news loop for 10 days, I thought it was awfully nice of him to ask, so I started to tell him how beautiful it was, the people were wonderful, yada yada yada.... He put the mike down, said, "Where are you coming in from?" I told him Ireland. He said something like "Oh, poop!" only more expletive deleted type words and told his camera man "CUT!" He is now a major sports guy - Bob Costas! He didn't like me very much right then!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Jim Nabors at the local supermarket where he was picking up supplies for his get away place south of town. Missed Desi and Lucy when the had a ranch in town.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Telly Salvas in Macy's, New York City

Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times
When to his show in Minneapolis,MN and it was nice of him to stay until the last person leave.

Gabriel Islegias and me!

When to his show in Minneapolis,MN and it was nice of him to stay until the last person leave.

Martin,who is on my right was the first act and Noe,who is on my left was the second act!

If you guys have picture(s),then post them,so it would make the thread look lively. No nude picture,please!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
One of the first celebrities that I ever met was Roy Clark, I knew him when he was living in Davisonville, Maryland, him and my uncle were good friends and used to hang around a place called the Central Inn, this was before he became famous, I met Jimmy Dean and his Texas Troubadours, Jimmy Dean used to room in a house across the street from my family and every time he was in town that's where he was staying, I went to school with Ronnie Stoneman from Hee Haw, she was a member of the Stoneman Family who lived in Carmody Hills, Maryland, her and her brother Stanley went to Maryland Park Junior High School, met the Beatles in 1964 in Washington, DC, even have an autographed album of theirs, met Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers after a concert, met Neil Diamond after a concert, met the Bee Gees after concert, met Gov. George Wallace who is a candidate for president in Laurel, Maryland the day he got shot. Met Newt Gingrich at a book signing. Even met Joe Biden once, who is now our Vice President, one of the most impressive people that I ever met was a young lady by the name of Christy McAuliffe, I met her in Bowie, Maryland that's where I used to live and she was a teacher at one of the schools before she became an astronaut and was lost in the explosion of that space shuttle, there was a tragic event but I'll never forget that young lady. I even met Sugar Ray Leonard, at his house, met John Riggins, number 44, the diesel for the Washington Redskins, even met Joe Theismann at his restaurant in Washington,DC There are many more that right at the moment I can't think of but I will later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics