U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM

51,691 posts, read 12,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Things worked out very well and I enjoyed the lunch & time we spent. I forgot how busy it gets during the mid-day crowd but we managed. I learned some new things that was happening and provided some insight as to issues that he never even thought about. So it was a good day all around.
Glad it was a good day for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I took the first of three exams for this class I'm taking online and received a 100%. *phew* Some of those questions were challenging and I had to literally guess on a few! It was a little nerve-wracking as I could not proceed to the next module unless I got at least 28 out of 35 correct. Hopefully, I can finish this class (or at least most of it) by the end of next week so I can get my certification AND enjoy the rest of my summer

Way to go,Chatteress! Keep up the good work.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
This actually happened yesterday, but it ended so late I didn't get here to post it.

A woman left an anxious message on my answering machine, but she had dialed the wrong number. I called her back to let her know she did not reach the party she was hoping to talk to, and she seemed sad. I could tell she was frail and elderly. Together we found the right number in the phone book, but she said she couldn't see it well, or write it down, so I offered to call the number for her. She appreciated that.

I called the person she had originally intended to talk to, but got only an answering machine. Without leaving my own name and number, I left the name and number of the woman who had called me by mistake, and asked if she would please call her back. I did what I could to help, and hoped the woman would return her call.

The second woman must have Caller ID, because late last night there was a message on my answering machine from the woman I had called, thanking me by name for calling her and letting her know the first woman was trying to reach her.

It was so unexpected, and so kind, it made me a little misty-eyed.
What a nice thing to do.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,631,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Way to go,Chatteress! Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Congratulations on the test. Job well done.
Thanks guys

Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,800,680 times
Yay, Chat!

Kudos to PatsCats (love the name) for being so kind.

My friend Chris dropped by this morning and, spur of the moment, we went out to lunch at Olive Garden. I quit eating before I exploded.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,787,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
This actually happened yesterday, but it ended so late I didn't get here to post it.

A woman left an anxious message on my answering machine,
You are such a sweetheart. Man, who wouldn't just love you.

I have been considering writing a phone thang that happened to my son, but it was years ago. It was very special.

For myself, I have a phone number that is easily dialed by children playing with phones, butt-calls, and people wanting everything from cabinet repair to pizza (and other unmentionables!!!!).

Regarding the children who call, I put everything aside and just talk to them for awhile. One little guy wanted to marry me! They are so precious!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM

I'd like to hear about your son's phone thang, VQ.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,631,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I'd like to hear about your son's phone thang, VQ.
Yeah ... Inquiring, nosy minds need to know

Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Hmph. I'm not nosy...I'm interested!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,787,060 times
Okay! Well, my son used to use the phone to pull lite pranks on people before many had Caller ID. We did, however, have 3-Way Calling. He liked to use the phone book, call 2 phones using the same last names, and just listen to the drama.

"Hello."
"Hello."
"Hello?"
"Hello!"
"I didn't call you; you called me."
"No, I didn't! My phone rang and I answered."
"Don't call me a liar. Everyone here heard the phone ring. Who is this anyway?
"Name's Meyers. Who's this?"
"Now, you're trying to be funny?"

And so it went, until my son tired of it, then he would say "Good bye," wait a moment to listen to their further confusing, then hang up. His hanging up, of course, caused everyone to be disconnected.

So one day, he was at it again. Only this time was different.

An obviously elderly gentleman answered, as did a younger man. They talked the confusion out, then the older man said, "Son?"
The younger answered, "Dad?"
"Son, it's been so long. I don't know what to say...."
"Dad,...I...I'm just glad you called, Dad."
"Well, I...I...it's so good to hear your voice."
A tearful, grateful conversation continued, and my son could not hang up, because he knew it would disconnect them. He felt like an interloper, because he really was, but at the same time, he knew he was part of something incredible -- wonderful.

My son's father had been killed when my son was barely 2; this was a bit of emotional for him as well, as he heard a father and son make contact for the first time in several years.

Before they said good-bye, they made an appointment -- the younger man's family inviting the older gentleman over that weekend to meet the family and have barbecue. They both expressed intent that such a separation would never happen again.

They hung up, and my son hung up, very sobered. That was the end of his phone pranks but an unforgettable memory for him and for our family...and for that other family who is probably still wondering what "angel" put them back together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or