U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
and I went to the video that you posted BrianG, but I had problems getting it loaded. I don't try to view videos often because I have dial-up and sometimes I'm able to view them, but often times I'm not . In your case, it was a NO go . Maybe I will try again and see if it works this time. Anyways, I was kind of hoping that someone else would view it and give their thoughts, but like you, I'm still waiting . IS ANYBODY OUT THERE???? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I too would love to keep this thread going. I would hope that the good people on CD would stop by and tell us what they've done for the troops or give their ideas about things to do or maybe just commit to doing "1' thing this coming week to touch someone serving in the military.

Okay then, I will start with myself :

This next week, I will go to 'anysoldier' and send an email to a soldier. I will also report back with any other ideas they might have on the website. BrianG, I ask you to hold me accountable. Who else will join me?
I WILL


I think it was the wat i posted it but
try to view it this way
go to youtube.com
and search remember me
it will be the first video listed

sorry & thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's easy to find a site listing Congresssional names and addresses.

Seem to be quite a few legislators who could use a reminder of why they are where they are-------TO SERVE THE PEOPLE.

A vet being denied a hospital bed is inexcuseable. I would suggest while you take the time to Email a soldier to take another few minutes to Email your Congressman and Senators and demand this situation be improved.
Burdell is right
Being a disabled vet myself i know what some of
them are going thru

I for one am going to bombard my reps with e-mails
and you damn sure know you will get responses since
election time is getting nearer and nearer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
It is more imortant how we treat them when they come home. While it is wonderful to send things over, true problems start after the homecoming parades. Here in Mpls., a Iraq Vet committed suicide after he could not get a bed at the VA. That is a travesty. Thousands have came home maimed, and given a pitance of a benefit package. So many homeless are vets who could not reacclimate. We have to see when most turn a blind eye. That is true patriotism. Also, bumper stickers don't help troops, respect does. Thats my two cents

Right on the money!!! save the couple of bucks you were going to spend
on the bumper sticker and bring a vet a book / magazine / newspaper
but most of all try to bring them a little cheer

Also
when i was in the va hospital for 6 months i had visitors every day
but most of the vets there did not have anybody visitors at all
so if you live near a va hospital and have some spare time
be a volunteer and let them know we care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 PM
HDL HDL started this thread
 
Location: Seek Jesus while He can still be found!
2,762 posts, read 3,800,988 times
Reputation: 7176
Default Okay, I'll tell you what I did for a veteran in January this year

Hey BrianG, your post made me think of something I did in January. A veteran wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper here in Boise defending one of the Homeless Shelters downtown. It appears that he needed care by the VA hospital in Boise, but lives ~ 8 hrs north of here. It wasn't stated in detail, but it appears that due to the length of treatment needed and his finances, he needed to stay at the Homeless Shelter. A bunch of people were bashing the shelter for having religious services, but he set people straight by saying that even though he is not religious, he was never forced to go to services in order to be there or get fed. He then went onto say that he went to services and actually enjoyed them (imagine that !!). The only issue he had was that he was trying to eat healthy and lower his cholesterol, but the shelter didn't have 'oatmeal' for him to eat.

Well, I'm a huge fan of oatmeal and I knew that I could help him out . So I bought 4-5 boxes of 10 pk instant oatmeal, and cholesterol lowering supplements, and warm socks from Costco and other items. I put them all in a nice gift bag (of course only girls like gift bags LOL) with a card thanking him for his service to our country and dropped it off at the shelter. I called back to make sure that he received it and was told he did. It's one small thing, but I believe his life will be changed because of this act .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Right on the money!!! save the couple of bucks you were going to spend
on the bumper sticker and bring a vet a book / magazine / newspaper
but most of all try to bring them a little cheer

Also
when i was in the va hospital for 6 months i had visitors every day
but most of the vets there did not have anybody visitors at all
so if you live near a va hospital and have some spare time
be a volunteer and let them know we care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,321 posts, read 29,644,918 times
Reputation: 12634
http://www.anysoldier.com/

We have sent a few packages through the above website. Letters, too.
Our kids' schools, from elementary through high school, always had a program in which the kids would visit the vets at the local hospital. I think both kids and vets got a lot out of those visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
Hey BrianG, your post made me think of something I did in January. A veteran wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper here in Boise defending one of the Homeless Shelters downtown. It appears that he needed care by the VA hospital in Boise, but lives ~ 8 hrs north of here. It wasn't stated in detail, but it appears that due to the length of treatment needed and his finances, he needed to stay at the Homeless Shelter. A bunch of people were bashing the shelter for having religious services, but he set people straight by saying that even though he is not religious, he was never forced to go to services in order to be there or get fed. He then went onto say that he went to services and actually enjoyed them (imagine that !!). The only issue he had was that he was trying to eat healthy and lower his cholesterol, but the shelter didn't have 'oatmeal' for him to eat.

Well, I'm a huge fan of oatmeal and I knew that I could help him out . So I bought 4-5 boxes of 10 pk instant oatmeal, and cholesterol lowering supplements, and warm socks from Costco and other items. I put them all in a nice gift bag (of course only girls like gift bags LOL) with a card thanking him for his service to our country and dropped it off at the shelter. I called back to make sure that he received it and was told he did. It's one small thing, but I believe his life will be changed because of this act .
I thank you and i am sure he does too
not only did you warm his heart a little but also his feet and belly!

It is all the small things we can do that make it better for them
please keep it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Where the real happy cows reside!
4,281 posts, read 6,621,635 times
Reputation: 10326
soldiers' angels

operation hero miles

two more sites that know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I thank you and i am sure he does too
not only did you warm his heart a little but also his feet and belly!

It is all the small things we can do that make it better for them
please keep it up
here is a picture that makes me laugh and brings me pain everytime i see it
it was taken in the hospital a few weeks after i broke my back

my buddies from my army unit knew i had a catheter in because i could not get up
so what do they bring me ?

Last edited by BrianG; 09-18-2007 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 PM
 
12,593 posts, read 7,940,923 times
Reputation: 18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Right on the money!!! save the couple of bucks you were going to spend
on the bumper sticker and bring a vet a book / magazine / newspaper
but most of all try to bring them a little cheer

Also
when i was in the va hospital for 6 months i had visitors every day
but most of the vets there did not have anybody visitors at all
so if you live near a va hospital and have some spare time
be a volunteer and let them know we care
What would you personally suggest people can do, if they don't live close enough to volunteer? When it comes to mail call, it breaks my heart to imagine the expectant faces falling when nothing arrives for them, however, does a letter/do letters written by a bunch of elementary school kids help? We did that way back in the day, when my cousin was in Viet nam, and schools still do try to do things to kind of help, in their own way. Seems this is a time where throwing money at the problem really can do some good since it appears to be a true financial hardship for wounded soldiers and their families to relocate to facilities for recuperation and rehabilitation. There is something very very wrong with that in my opinion. So, what are some suggestions that will do some good in a more immediate, hands on kind of way, aside from writing your congressman/woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,669,302 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
What would you personally suggest people can do, if they don't live close enough to volunteer? When it comes to mail call, it breaks my heart to imagine the expectant faces falling when nothing arrives for them, however, does a letter/do letters written by a bunch of elementary school kids help? We did that way back in the day, when my cousin was in Viet nam, and schools still do try to do things to kind of help, in their own way. Seems this is a time where throwing money at the problem really can do some good since it appears to be a true financial hardship for wounded soldiers and their families to relocate to facilities for recuperation and rehabilitation. There is something very very wrong with that in my opinion. So, what are some suggestions that will do some good in a more immediate, hands on kind of way, aside from writing your congressman/woman?
Let me think about this one for a while
I sometimes forget this forum is not local (we have at least 4 va hospitals within an hour from me ) i know that some states you have to travel a while to find one

As far as the school kids letters
Yes it does help and the kids and soldiers become pen pals

i have been told you have to see the kids faces when the soldier they have been writing shows up at there school to say thank you

i also remember writing leters to soldiers in Viet nam and wearing the wristbracelet with an MIA soldiers name on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top