U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 AM

13,326 posts, read 30,325,593 times

Advertisements

Something I read awhile back: Maturity begins when you stop doing the things you make excuses for and stop making excuses for the things you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:50 AM

984 posts, read 2,006,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I agree. Some people reach that state earlier than others, others take awhile, some never do.
I didn't until I was 30 and then it happened quickly. It was such a relief to realize most people were full of sh*t and it wasn't a figment of my imagination! That doesn't mean most people are bad, but I was brought up to be extremely respectful, polite, and deferential. I think it brought about an insecurity in believing my own judgement which I had to break free from. Once I did...happiness!!
Thank God you said this MoMark..my son is 27 and he is really trying to find is way in life. It seems like he just fighting that fact that he needs to act more like an adult. I keep praying maybe soon.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,171,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I agree. Some people reach that state earlier than others, others take awhile, some never do.
I didn't until I was 30 and then it happened quickly. It was such a relief to realize most people were full of sh*t and it wasn't a figment of my imagination! That doesn't mean most people are bad, but I was brought up to be extremely respectful, polite, and deferential. I think it brought about an insecurity in believing my own judgement which I had to break free from. Once I did...happiness!!
Yeah, this happened for me relatively recently (I'm in my middle 30s), where you realize that while you've been schooled by very well-meaning people, most of them don't know their asses from their elbows. You realize that you just can't live with your chronic cognitive dissonance and you start trusting your own judgment about the world and how it works. You start valuing the things that YOU value, not what you've been told you should value. You start feeling more free to think outside the box. You allow your perspective to work for you instead of stifling it.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM

324 posts, read 1,059,431 times
i'd have to say for me it was about 24 or 25and that was when I moved from Milwaukee to Tampa...i agree too with momark...that is why i had to 'get away'

Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,691,312 times
I think everyone can give opinions...but that is what they are: not facts. Not one person can say adulthood begins at THIS age. In my opinion, not fact, adulthood depends on the person. It isn't an age, it is a state of mind/being...and obviously not one person is the same as another.

I was reading a newspaper article about a girl who was...19 I think, 19 or 20, whose parents were away fighting the war and she was talking care of 3 or 4 younger sisters. Well, that girl, to me, has reached adulthood. Taking care of responsibilities.

Some people reach it younger. Some people reach it older. Some people act like they have never reached it. Some people reach it when they have children...like I did. I was an immature, fun loving, crazy, irresponsible person who was headed waywayway down the wrong road-until at 23 I had my child. Straightened me up. Made me go back to school, graduate top of the class, get my career, stop doing all of the crazy stuff...and become the woman I am today. However, having children doesn't always make people reach adulthood-the proof is out there in the crime statistics, negligent parents...

It depends on the person. IMHO.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM

2,813 posts, read 9,442,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Yeah, this happened for me relatively recently (I'm in my middle 30s), where you realize that while you've been schooled by very well-meaning people, most of them don't know their asses from their elbows. You realize that you just can't live with your chronic cognitive dissonance and you start trusting your own judgment about the world and how it works. You start valuing the things that YOU value, not what you've been told you should value. You start feeling more free to think outside the box. You allow your perspective to work for you instead of stifling it.
EXACTLY!!!!!! I was just a pokey poke about it!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:20 AM

10,184 posts, read 18,797,403 times
A good point, and asking when it will happen, probably implies it has yet to transpire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Something I read awhile back: Maturity begins when you stop doing the things you make excuses for and stop making excuses for the things you do.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM

569 posts, read 885,777 times
"I'm growing older, but not up!" - Jimmy Buffet

I'm an adult in every sense of the word, however, I can and do still have fun.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 PM

2,840 posts, read 8,966,611 times
Hopefully you will always feel like a teenager inside. When I was 25, I figured I had it pretty much figured out (thought that when I was 18, too).

"What Is Maturity
What is maturity ? Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence or destruction. Maturity is patience. It is the willingness to pass up immediate pleasure in favor of the long-term gain. Maturity is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or a situation in spite of heavy opposition and discouraging set-backs. Maturity is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse. Maturity is humility. It is being big enough to say, "I was wrong." And, when right, the mature person need not experience the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so."

Maturity is the ability to make a decision and stand by it. The immature spend their lives exploring endless possibilities; then they do nothing.

Maturity means dependability, keeping one's word, coming through in a crisis. The immature are masters of the alibi. They are the confused and the disorganized. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business, and good intentions that somehow never materialize.

Maturity is the art of living in peace with that which we cannot change, the courage to change that which should be changed -- and the wisdom to know the difference."

So, is there a specifc age -- I know there isn't.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:06 PM

105 posts, read 360,700 times
Default I remember when I thought 30 was old.

When I was younger, I thought adulthood started at 21. I now see that is not true since I have 32 year old cousins who think they're 12. My mom died when I was 18. So I guess I've been an "adult" since I was 18. I'll be 29 in a week and I still feel 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics