Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times

Advertisements

I think tipping should be outlawed everywhere.

Everyone should be paid a fair wage for the work they do.

Tipping is a holdover of the class system where the serving class grovels at the feet of the masters and beg for crumbs to be thrown.

Regardless of how many crumbs are thrown, or how many the servant is able to accumulate, it is still a demeaning and de-humanizing custom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 AM

161 posts, read 341,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Interesting, but that assumes that however much more you have to pay them is automatically and directly thrown to increased cost of the meals, when you could likely cut corners elsewhere and jack up the price less, if at all.......in fact, I'm betting if some laws came out that said you had to pay them more, you would do that, because your competitors would and if you didn't keep prices competitive, you'd lose business.
Well....I think you are right in the bigger places. We are just a small mom and pop type place, and we have already cut "in other places" to stay alive. Also...I sure hope no one thought I was for "tipping" because I'm not! I, even as an owner, would rather pay the employee a set amount...and not have to hear the gripes about the "non" tippers. However, unless it was publicly mandated...it could never happen, because one place can't raise it's prices enough to do it, unless everyone would, or we would be run out of business for having prices that were too high. However! We figured our dilemma out! After six years in the business, we went to a self service buffet. My husband and I do all the work ourselves, even down to cleaning the tables, no employees, and when I get tipped I say a big thank you...but if I don't....it's ok. It's funny, the tips always come from those that are the easiest to wait on anyway. The young people with the messy children very seldom leave one. We have done this for over 2 years now....and it's great!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 AM

271 posts, read 657,238 times
TIPS is an acronym for "To Insure Prompt Service". If you don't get it, you shouldn't feel obligated to tip.

However, it is suggested that if service is poor instead of not leaving anything, leave a penny or a nickel or something small. That way the waiter/waitress knows you were unhappy and didn't just forget

Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 AM

353 posts, read 905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I tip but it kinda pisses me off! Not because I am cheap but because resteraunt owners are. Whoever came up with this idea of tipping is a genious. "Hmmm lets pay our waiters/waitress nothing and put the extra expense on the consumer." What a brilliant plan so if you dont leave a tip your the as*hole instead of their cheap boss.
Exactly!

Don't get mad at me, get mad at your cheap boss!

If you need to raise the prices of your food, then raise the prices. Don't make me feel like I am paying extra. If you want me to pay $10.95 for a sandwich then price it as such! Don't price it at $6.95 and make me feel like I have to pay extra on it.

The psychology behind it all would work wonders. I will pay $10.95 a much happier person than I will pay $6.95 and a tip.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM

And another thing...why does it matter how much the food costs? If you bring me a $10 sandwich or a $30 sandwich, why should you be paid more? Was it really that much more effort?

If I sit down and eat $20 worth of food or $100, the amount of work is practically the same so you $20 wait staff seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

I hate %. If I decide to leave a tip you should be happy with $5 and not so arrogant, no matter how much it costs. Don't tell me what I can and cannot afford. Keep your nose out of my checkbook. If I want to eat out and not pay your salary, that is my business. Maybe I want to eat another meal out and not spend it away in tips.

Complain to your boss about what he or she is doing with his or her checkbook.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
And another thing...why does it matter how much the food costs? If you bring me a $10 sandwich or a $30 sandwich, why should you be paid more? Was it really that much more effort?

If I sit down and eat $20 worth of food or $100, the amount of work is practically the same so you $20 wait staff seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

I hate %. If I decide to leave a tip you should be happy with $5 and not so arrogant, no matter how much it costs. Don't tell me what I can and cannot afford. Keep your nose out of my checkbook. If I want to eat out and not pay your salary, that is my business. Maybe I want to eat another meal out and not spend it away in tips.

Complain to your boss about what he or she is doing with his or her checkbook.
You're all set if you're a hit and run bad tipper. If you are a frequent customer in a restaurant, and you don't do right by them, than I would worry about what you're being served. I don't think there would be anything to worry about in fine dining establishments, but I would be concerned else where.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're all set if you're a hit and run bad tipper. If you are a frequent customer in a restaurant, and you don't do right by them, than I would worry about what you're being served. I don't think there would be anything to worry about in fine dining establishments, but I would be concerned else where.
I eat out perhaps 3 times a month and never in the same restaurant. Yet if I wanted to, I would.

Also, if someone would do something to my food based upon my beliefs, that says a lot more about them than it does about me. Savages! "Tip me or I'll taint your food!"

It's funny how people try to justify horrible actions based just because someone doesn't agree with an antiquated, stupid custom.

Because let's face it, getting mad at me isn't going to change anything because there many more just like me. So have fun messing with people's food but it's not accomplishing much. Just hope they don't find out and sue you or the establishment, or just kick your butt old school style.

Perhaps you'd be better served by actually doing something about the problem- which is low pay NOT people who do not believe in tipping.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
I eat out perhaps 3 times a month and never in the same restaurant. Yet if I wanted to, I would.

Also, if someone would do something to my food based upon my beliefs, that says a lot more about them than it does about me. Savages! "Tip me or I'll taint your food!"

It's funny how people try to justify horrible actions based just because someone doesn't agree with an antiquated, stupid custom.

Because let's face it, getting mad at me isn't going to change anything because there many more just like me. So have fun messing with people's food but it's not accomplishing much. Just hope they don't find out and sue you or the establishment, or just kick your butt old school style.

Perhaps you'd be better served by actually doing something about the problem- which is low pay NOT people who do not believe in tipping.
Maybe I'm paranoid, but for something that's going into my body, it concerns me. When I was a teen, I had a job in a restaurant and I witnessed some pretty nasty stuff. Needless to say, I do not randomly eat out. It's fine dining, a family restaurant, or nothing, which is why I don't eat out often.

I went to luch with a friend many years ago. She was being a very difficult customer. She sent her food back 3 times and I thought to myself, 'I hope this waiter doesn't screw with her food'.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
I cannot imagine people who leave no tip. I mean really waiters and waitresses are paid practically nothing and you as the customer know that when you eat out you will be paying for the cost of your food plus roughly 20%. If you don't want to pay the extra get take out and eat it at home.

I usually lean towards the 20% pretty much wherever I go, but I will decrease it if the service was very bad, but if it is that bad the decreased tip will usually be accompanied by a conversation with the manager.

Sometimes there is a reason the service is not good, such as an overwhelmed waiter or waitress. If they are serving too many tables, it may be hard to please everyone at the same time and therefore it is the managers fault and let them take some heat for it.

In any case, it is good to be generous with people who are serving you. Good Karma and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
This is true. I always feel for the servers. My sons worked in a restaurant, and they depend on tips because they can't make it on their salary. 20% is the going rate; anything less is cheap. If you eat out, be prepared to tip or get takeaway or fast food. It's really not a nice thing not to tip. If service is honestly bad, then no tip.
There is a reason there is a range for acceptable tips. Tips are partly based on service provided. A horrible waiter should not expect exceptional tips.

Not tipping well because you are cheap and don't want to pay for good service is "cheap". Tipping 15% because the service was not up to snuff is not "cheap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
This is a good philosophy, and I wish everyone would do this. I've read a ton of tipping threads on various message boards over the years, and no one has every adequately explained why the tip amount is traditionally based on the cost of the food. Sure, more expensive restaurants may tend to have better service, but that is certainly not always the case, and certainly not the rule.
This is an interesting point.

One which is related to tipping on alcoholic beverages. I don't drink, but I recently took my father out to dinner during which he consumed 3 servings of glenlivet scotch, which totaled a whopping $17.00. 20% of $17.00 is $3.40. Alcoholic beverages greatly add to the bill and therefore tip. I don't know the reasoning behind tipping 20% on drinks, unless the waiter himself is preparing the drink, or is forking some of that tip over to the bartender that prepares it??

Say you order a $40 bottle of wine, that adds $8 to the tip. Should the waiter get $8 for bringing and opening a bottle of wine?

In any case, maybe the tip being based on the cost of the food is because in higher end restaurants the food takes longer to prepare and there are not as many tables. Therefore, without the higher turnover, the waiter wouldn't make as much money because they don't have as many tables and those that they do have stay longer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
The main reason why I think tipping is expected is that most waiters/waitresses make far below minimum wage, and without tips, they would really not fare well financially. HOWEVER, where I live (in Oregon), and several other western states, waiters make minimum wage plus tips. In these places, I would think it would be more acceptable to not leave tips, or to leave smaller tips.
I suppose if the waiter was being paid a decent base salary, this gives the consumer a little more flexibility in the tipping, esp. for sub par service.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
Quote:

but the law does not require employers to even pay full minimum wage because it's based on the sham speculation that the other half would be recouped in tips. so tips are not even what it actually designates-above and beyond.

if you eat out, you are expected to tip for services rendered from a waiter. not tipping basically means they did not do their job just as equal to time lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics