Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

I have a clip of my mom talking about Greece.

Note: She is a native Richmonder, but when she went up to NYC to be a model, people made fun of her Southern accent and called her a stupid Southern belle. So in this clip, she is trying hard to hide her Southernness.

Someone told me she sounded like a yankee. But I dont think so. Most Richmonders have stronger accents than she did, though

Streaming Richmond | Richmond VA User Submitted Local Video Showcasing the Local Attractions, Businesses, Community, Entertainment, Festivals, Music, News, Sports and More in RVA (http://www.streamingrichmond.com/v/147,my-parents-in-greece.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I never click onto to the suggested tapes, but it would be extremely rude for anyone to comment in a negative way about the way someone speaks. That says more about them than it does about the person they are talking about. It would be normal for someone who is from Richmond to speak with a Southern accent. They were probably just jealous of her and wanted to hurt her feelings. I hope I always speak with a Southern accent no matter where I travel to and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I am mostly told what a pleasant speaking voice I have though. If anyone said anything different from that, I think I would cross them off the list of people in my social circle. I don't choose to spend my life around rude people.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I love accents. When I meet people with a distinct accent I always say "I love your accent, where are you from"? It usually brings out a friendly smile knowing you're interested in them.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I never click onto to the suggested tapes, but it would be extremely rude for anyone to comment in a negative way about the way someone speaks. That says more about them than it does about the person they are talking about. It would be normal for someone who is from Richmond to speak with a Southern accent. They were probably just jealous of her and wanted to hurt her feelings. I hope I always speak with a Southern accent no matter where I travel to and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I am mostly told what a pleasant speaking voice I have though. If anyone said anything different from that, I think I would cross them off the list of people in my social circle. I don't choose to spend my life around rude people.
Oh thanks. Well they really made fun of it when she was up there and some lady at this store asked her about lynchings and Jim Crowe. My mom was just talking to the clerk and the lady was offended by her southern 'accent'. I guess she was afraid of offending people after that. Southern is a badge of pride , I think.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
I love southern accents. Well, I love just about all accents, & I agree w/ Nitram - I make a point of letting someone know. I think it's a great conversation starter. I don't think your mother sounds like a Yankee though. I'm a Colorado native living in the northeast surrounded by Yanks.

I do think your mother's voice on that tape sounds like a woman who was educated at an Ivy League school, however! Did she get the modeling job? That photo shows a very pretty lady.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I love southern accents. Well, I love just about all accents, & I agree w/ Nitram - I make a point of letting someone know. I think it's a great conversation starter. I don't think your mother sounds like a Yankee though. I'm a Colorado native living in the northeast surrounded by Yanks.

I do think your mother's voice on that tape sounds like a woman who was educated at an Ivy League school, however! Did she get the modeling job? That photo shows a very pretty lady.

Yes she was a model in NYC. She did some runway and prints for Virginia Slims in magazines.

And then came back to Richmond. People in NYC were very mean to her.They called her all sorts of name and made fun of her southern accent. When she really didnt have that strong of one.

No she never graduated college. She did go a young girls finishing school in Richmond called Miss Turnbulls

Her parents had much stronger Richmond accents. But of course it seems to fade with each generation..

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Is your mom from Greece as she looks southern european.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Is your mom from Greece as she looks southern european.
No she is a born and bred Richmonder . Mostly of English/Irish/Scottish decent. With some American Indian. She looks very Northern European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics