U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Illinois
250 posts, read 643,363 times
Reputation: 160
God bless her, but my Mom, who I love dearly, said something to me that to this day still gets me upset. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, searching for colleges and such, I asked for her input. She looks me right in the eye and says,"Well you have alot of hobbies and things you enjoy, but you're just not good at any of them, or anything else for that matter!"

My jaw dropped and I was silent for quite some time. I blame the stroke she had years ago for her verbal mishaps, but geez, couldn't she just lie!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
 
2,886 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Reputation: 4883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Actually I thought about the rudest thing I ever said to anyone. Well, as least one of them. It was unintentional, but nonetheless, I said it. My wife and I were engaged and at a church function with a group of people we didn't know very well. We were talking to another couple and asking what each other did professionally. I asked the guy what he did for a living and he said he was a commercial painter and painted interior and exterior of houses and offices.

Without missing a beat, or thinking, I said, "Oh, what else do you do?" He replied, "I paint." My then fiance gave me a shocked look and the couple moved on to another part of the room. "How could you say that?" she said to me. "Well doesn't he do more than just paint?" Can you say arrogant and self absorbed? I truly didn't mean it the way it came out, I was just dumb enough to not realize that painting could pay such a handsome income and be something that someone would enjoy.
noooo like tooootally tell me you are kidding!!! Please please tell me you are! That is like the rudest of all rudeness type thingys!





sometimes this place goes beyond lame.....ooopsie gonna get a "red dot" over this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
 
2,832 posts, read 6,753,483 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
noooo like tooootally tell me you are kidding!!! Please please tell me you are! That is like the rudest of all rudeness type thingys!





sometimes this place goes beyond lame.....ooopsie gonna get a "red dot" over this one
Polite???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton
9,342 posts, read 14,971,821 times
Reputation: 8975
OMG! That is terrible! My jaw dropped just reading this! I'm glad that you can put it into perpsective, but...gosh!

Very few people know what their passion in life is when they enter college. And many of those who do know, change their minds once they get to college and something else piques their interest. Sounds like you have a variety of interests- something that will make you all the more well-rounded when you decide on a major in college. (And your first choice won't necessarily be the one you graduate with.)

What an exciting time of life- the world is your oyster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
God bless her, but my Mom, who I love dearly, said something to me that to this day still gets me upset. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, searching for colleges and such, I asked for her input. She looks me right in the eye and says,"Well you have alot of hobbies and things you enjoy, but you're just not good at any of them, or anything else for that matter!"

My jaw dropped and I was silent for quite some time. I blame the stroke she had years ago for her verbal mishaps, but geez, couldn't she just lie!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2007, 09:37 PM
 
2,886 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Reputation: 4883
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Polite???
oh sorry.....my bad please pm me your list of do and don'ts and how I should post on this forum. I always want to try and please everyone that posts here (wOOt...rep points) .....oh WAIT!!! That cannot happen because we all look at things differently!!!


go back to bed man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,427,494 times
Reputation: 2187
Geeze, after a 3 year court battle with family members, I could fill this thread.

After caring for my father for 9 months , who was terminal with AIDS (unprotected sex in late 70's early 80's), we were having a New Years Eve party and all hell broke out. But the wife of the neighbor jumped on her fence and announce to my party member that "I had killed my father". And that I had intentionally stuck myself with his insulin needle while recapping (never recap by the way) to infect myself. Yeah O.K. Surprisingly enough my son turned it around on her and started the husband and wife to fight. My son revealed a bit of info. my father had told us before he died, and her husband wasn't soo happy about it. Must of had thoughts to become so inflamed.

Then, in trial, my brother explained that my mother (deceased) was worried my father would leave everything to "another woman" and that my siblings never thought the other woman would be his own daughter.
Now needless to say, out of 5 children, my husabnd,son and myself were the only ones willing to take care of my father, the rest of them wanted to dump him into a nursing home and forget about him. All dad wanted was to die in HIS own home.
My ever so etiquette (sp) sister in-law, who is this prim and proper, model like, banker, threatened to bankrupt me. Told her to get in line!

You can pick your friends, but not your family!!

On a lighter side... one night while arguing with my 17 y.o. son.. He said "Why do you have to be such an awful mother, you always have to do things right!"
Had to ask husband, was that an insult or a compliment?????
Then same son said " I am not a good kid because of you, I was just born that way" ! OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:23 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
5,287 posts, read 4,085,560 times
Reputation: 8042
Quote:
Hey, maybe we can start a new thread, mean things the mother-in-law has said to us, and I could add the mean things she says to my kids.
My EX mother-in-law was rude.My brother and I both have red headed daughters and about 15 years or so back I was having christmas dinner at my place and she says " I never met a red head I liked" Our kids at the time were about 2 and 6.
To this day my daughter still asks why her grandmother hates her. I tell her don't even worry about it,she isn't worth it.And my mother loved her enough for both of them.My mom has since passed and my daughter always says she wished she was still here and not my husbands mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:31 AM
 
Location: STL
1,093 posts, read 2,565,923 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
oh sorry.....my bad please pm me your list of do and don'ts and how I should post on this forum. I always want to try and please everyone that posts here (wOOt...rep points) .....oh WAIT!!! That cannot happen because we all look at things differently!!!


go back to bed man.
Wow.
Not only was no one attacking you, but you are getting a little defensive and taking things a little personally there.
I think you should take your own advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
502 posts, read 1,634,132 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
My EX mother-in-law was rude.My brother and I both have red headed daughters and about 15 years or so back I was having christmas dinner at my place and she says " I never met a red head I liked" Our kids at the time were about 2 and 6.
To this day my daughter still asks why her grandmother hates her. I tell her don't even worry about it,she isn't worth it.And my mother loved her enough for both of them.My mom has since passed and my daughter always says she wished she was still here and not my husbands mother.
I believe that people that say things like that to a child are just pure evil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
 
Location: NJ
502 posts, read 1,634,132 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Wow, just be glad he wasn't 'attracted' to you!! Every single priest that was in my fairly large Catholic parish when I was a child was married by the time I was, I'm not kidding!
Actually, he was a big time flirt! He was also just mean. So he would flirt with you and then insult you in the same breath! He didn't last very long at the parish. I wonder what could have ever happened hmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top