Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Mine is not as bad as that, Rapture, but a weird uncle (my father's brother) after I was in a car accident (my arm was in a cast-this was the only time I ever had an accident) commented that I was "acting like a child" and that I would not be invited to his other brother's funeral. Also- at that time my father was in a wheelchair, and I was the caretaker for him- Uncle Tom did nothing to help. Very strange, and sick to have family that acts that way. And it still hurts after all these years (this was 11 years ago)

sunny
It's sad to say but almost nothing shocks me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Default hi Rapture-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
It's sad to say but almost nothing shocks me anymore.
I know what you mean. Whoever said blood is thicker than water did not have some of my relatives- I really need support right now- my marriage is failing- no family- it makes me tired just to think about it.

sunny

Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. Whoever said blood is thicker than water did not have some of my relatives- I really need support right now- my marriage is failing- no family- it makes me tired just to think about it.sunny
Wasn't gonna reply to this thread, but I can relate, Sunny & Rapture. Family can be the cruelest of them all. Downright heartless.

While other siblings have been meaner, one sister makes strangers' ignorant comments pale in comparison. Some of her best work:
"Little pigeon toed fa**ot." Referring to a little nephew because of fight with the mother.
"Tih, it's just a dog", referring to our sick dog, knowing how attatched & seeing how upset I was.
Upon seeing my friend's husband the first time: "He's cute. How did you
get him." and actually wondered why we had the nerve to look at her funny.

"What's wrong with you." To mother because she was "still" crying that night over getting news her aunt died.
Seeing a relative (the grandson) at the funeral whose kid was no longer part of the same expensive program her kid is: "Why isn't she there anymore, too expensive?"
(Had to be bragging about over-spoiled kid at funeral to begin with!!)

I'd give some personal doozies she's hit us with over the years, but too crude to relay here.
Lucky for her, she pretty much blends in where we live now. But nobody in old neighborhjood liked her. And I can't pretend to.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. Whoever said blood is thicker than water did not have some of my relatives- I really need support right now- my marriage is failing- no family- it makes me tired just to think about it.

sunny
See my post on your recent thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,654 times
I have some good ones:

1. A priest once told me when I was like 9 years old that I was as homely looking as Abraham Lincoln.

2. The first day my ex-husband took my over to his family's house, his sister looked me up and down like she had laser vision and told me "you have such skinny legs" That is a huge insult if you are latin!

3. A guy asked me at work when I was pregnant how far along I was and replied that I was 7 months pregnant he said: Wow, but I saw a friend the other day who is 8 months pregnant and she is much smaller than you!

4. When I came back to work after maternity leave, my new office was much closer to the payroll department so instead of sending mail via interoffice mail, I would just walk them over to the payroll person and I told her that she was going to see a lot of me going forward since we were so close and she said: Well that is good cause all the walking will help you lose the weight!

5. And my personal favorite: Whenever I tell people I'm Dominican and they either respond: a) well how come you're not black, b) how come your hair isn't kinky, c) how come you don't have an accent?
If I told them I could read too they would probably lose their mind!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 PM

364 posts, read 526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I have some good ones:

1. A priest once told me when I was like 9 years old that I was as homely looking as Abraham Lincoln.

2. The first day my ex-husband took my over to his family's house, his sister looked me up and down like she had laser vision and told me "you have such skinny legs" That is a huge insult if you are latin!

3. A guy asked me at work when I was pregnant how far along I was and replied that I was 7 months pregnant he said: Wow, but I saw a friend the other day who is 8 months pregnant and she is much smaller than you!

4. When I came back to work after maternity leave, my new office was much closer to the payroll department so instead of sending mail via interoffice mail, I would just walk them over to the payroll person and I told her that she was going to see a lot of me going forward since we were so close and she said: Well that is good cause all the walking will help you lose the weight!

5. And my personal favorite: Whenever I tell people I'm Dominican and they either respond: a) well how come you're not black, b) how come your hair isn't kinky, c) how come you don't have an accent?
If I told them I could read too they would probably lose their mind!
I am amazed at all the replys to this thread. These five are incredible. I really just do not understand how people can be so rude and insulting.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I have some good ones:

1. A priest once told me when I was like 9 years old that I was as homely looking as Abraham Lincoln. :
Wow, just be glad he wasn't 'attracted' to you!! Every single priest that was in my fairly large Catholic parish when I was a child was married by the time I was, I'm not kidding!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
When I was pregnant I worked at a bank and a cutomer who I didn't know asked me what I wanted, a boy or a girl, I said we wanted a boy, and she huffed at me and said "Most people would just be thankful if the baby is healthy!" Now what do you say to that when the customer is always right?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Talking lol- Catholic school-

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Wow, just be glad he wasn't 'attracted' to you!! Every single priest that was in my fairly large Catholic parish when I was a child was married by the time I was, I'm not kidding!
Ok- this is actually funny- when my father was in the hospital dying, a rude priest (used to flirt w/girls, and thought he was something) was talking to me etc; I reminded him that when I was 12 (confirmation age) he said I looked like ""Julie Christie and probably "got all the guys""-lol- from a PRIEST!!!!!!!

sunny

Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
Actually I thought about the rudest thing I ever said to anyone. Well, as least one of them. It was unintentional, but nonetheless, I said it. My wife and I were engaged and at a church function with a group of people we didn't know very well. We were talking to another couple and asking what each other did professionally. I asked the guy what he did for a living and he said he was a commercial painter and painted interior and exterior of houses and offices.

Without missing a beat, or thinking, I said, "Oh, what else do you do?" He replied, "I paint." My then fiance gave me a shocked look and the couple moved on to another part of the room. "How could you say that?" she said to me. "Well doesn't he do more than just paint?" Can you say arrogant and self absorbed? I truly didn't mean it the way it came out, I was just dumb enough to not realize that painting could pay such a handsome income and be something that someone would enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics