Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times

Advertisements

When you email your instructor to clarify instructions for a project and he responds, don't worry about it ... that part isn't important! AAARRRGGGHHH... If it ain't important, then WHY is it on the template we are supposed to turn in???!!!! Can't wait til Saturday night when I'll be through with this class as I can't take it anymore! Sheesh! Forget this certificate program ... Just ain't worth the aggravation!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,482,745 times
They got our phone line fixed today. It appears that the problem came from some water that got into an overhead cable from all the rain we have gotten over the last few days. By the way, the cable was over a mile from our house.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
They got our phone line fixed today. It appears that the problem came from some water that got into an overhead cable from all the rain we have gotten over the last few days. By the way, the cable was over a mile from our house.
Glad they fixed it! Now you are in the chatting business again

Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,819,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ I remember the “good ol’ days” (prior to 80’s) when the “BELL SYSTEM was providing telephone service, they fixed the problems the same day most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Aks correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Ma Bell Breakup supposed to make things easier and less expensive for us consumers??? Go figure.
Yes,,, that was one of the arguments being made at the time, “breakup of the AT&T & the Bell System would improve service and reduce costs”. I pay far more now than ever before for less quality of service. And when there is a problem “who do you call? “

AT & T is back into the business after the government allowed them to purchase Southwestern Bell and the large area of customers they serviced.

Then ATT wanted to buy T- mobile this past year, giving them a larger market share. Verizon I think picked up NY Bell, and there are a number of other mergers.

Nothing got less expensive! Products made in the USA by Western Electric stopped being produced. Customers and Telephone carriers now have everything produced off shore.

At least they are NOT making the tens of billions in profit that Exxon Mobile is getting every quarter.

The government took a "regulated controlled" corporation and we have what we see today. Problems with repair, problems with costs, and nobody in authority seems to care enough to fix it.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM

It was just yesterday that I got a letter from my local CenturyLink telephone company (they bought Qwest) telling me that they would discontinue the software service that is used on my phones at home. These phones require at times software updates from the company to keep them operating as originally intended. Now I’ve got to buy other phones in the house because they don’t want to continue to support the products that were sold earlier. Gott’a go to a new generation of phones in the house.

And the two local land lines that I've got continue to have static and a hum on the line while talking to others. They can't fix that problem yet and they've been out nine times to make changes and repairs. Who can you call about this? The company doesn't want to listen or fix the problem.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Don't even get me started on "I'd like to us the payphone because the battery is dead in the cell". Payphones never work, keep your money and nobody cares enough to fix them or even keep them installed at location where large numbers of people would use them.

Can't get a cell phone signal and there's no payphone around that is working!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,303,130 times
Have u ever just really wanted to quit on something? I find myself in such a situation. I can't quit because of the way I am wired. I can't say uncle... I am passionately committed, driven. I aint strong cause I want to be. I just have to be. Now I am sure everything will work out for good. I just thought I would take the opportunity to vent about it a little.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Are there more commercials on tv now or is mine broken? Seems that I’m seeing extra commercials and less programed services and shows. I'm now spend even LESS time watching tv.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,821,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Have u ever just really wanted to quit on something? I find myself in such a situation. I can't quit because of the way I am wired. I can't say uncle... I am passionately committed, driven. I aint strong cause I want to be. I just have to be. Now I am sure everything will work out for good. I just thought I would take the opportunity to vent about it a little.
Yeah, I have felt that why..but if I have committed myself, I am in!!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,821,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Are there more commercials on tv now or is mine broken? Seems that I’m seeing extra commercials and less programed services and shows. I'm now spend even LESS time watching tv.
I hardly watch tv anymore. Nothing but commercials--especially at this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.