U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM

5,204 posts, read 3,472,275 times
There definitely needs to be a law in all states that says no talking on the cell phone while driving OR a hugh fine the 1st time and off with their heads the 2nd time

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,508,164 times
The couple next door just had a baby about 6 weeks ago. They are not kids. Maybe she is late 30's and he is early 40's. I have two granddaughters and it looks like this is the end of babies (I hope) in our family. Several weeks before she gave birth I invited them over to have a look at baby items and see if they would like anything. I ended up giving a full sized crib..it was given to me. A changing table...antique, and I would like it back. Toys galore, a swing....You get the picture. They were very appreciative at the time. After the baby was born, I waited a couple of weeks and took over a nice little gift. They said thank you, but did not open it. I thought that was a bit wierd. Well here it is another four weeks, and they have not said a thing. I should let it go, and realize they are totally ignorant of proper etiquette.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Hey, Jude.....(I almost started singing)

Doesn't sound right - something may be going on there.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,847,081 times
Wow - I just found this thread & wish I'd ran across it sooner - could have lowered my blood pressure a few times over by now!

Jude - I wonder if the new mother is going thru bad post-partum depression & the father is a bit freaked out by it all?

MN2CO, ignore my visitor msg. to you - I posted it before I finished reading. I think the flyers are a good idea & I do agree with others here -
there must be some legal line she is crossing. Just sick.

OK - here's my vent. My neighbors are good people, but they think they live on 10 acres in the woods; not on a little suburban lot. The ones next
door are friends w/ the ones across the street & both are into anything with a motor. OOPS! - I mean anything with an engine! All day, into the
night, on the weekends, during dinner - you name it - they are racing the engines. Fixing go-carts, riding ATVs back & forth from house to house. Now
their 5 year old son is zooming up and down the driveway with that annoying "buzz saw" sound non stop. I keep my dogs in at appropriate times so as
not to disturb the neighbors. Dogs were just out for a break & I had to bring them in as they were barking at the little darling on his ATV too close to
the fence. Screwy scene here - I should just let the dogs stay out and have a bark-fest to go with the drone of the engines!

I thank you for letting me vent. Now I have to go clean my car - I have to go to the DEV tomorrow & I want it to look halfway decent.
(That's DEV - Dept. of Engine Vehicles....)

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Piper - I would think others around you (and them) would be equally annoyed. Let me think about this - is there a noise curfew on the books for your community/town? We have before 7 a.m. and after 9 p.m. That type of thing would have stopped almost as soon as it started. If you do have such a curfew, you could lodge a complaint - the police don't say who filed the complaint so your relationship with them won't be damaged.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,870,367 times
Gardeners for the tract we live in that think it's okay to start their trimmers/blowers whatever they are at 7am. I'm still sleeping. Go away.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,417,793 times
pipersal... there should be nuisance laws in place in your town. Our town is currently updating theirs. So many calls in so many weeks about a problem resident/residence will result in the offender paying one heck of a hefty fine to cover the cost of responders. Good luck.

My vent is garden hoses that don't want to cooperate when you try and wind them up for storage over the winter. It's like trying to fight a greased up grass snake!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,017,716 times
Again on lack of etiquette-July we sent a significant cash gift to a couple getting married and have not heard zip. Mr. L and my kids say I send thank you cards for receiving a thank you card!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,382,871 times
What irks me are people who state they were in a telephone conversation and have to hold their hand up to their ear with the thumb and pinky finger up.

Do they think it makes them look " cool" or is the " in thing" ?

I imagine its a fad that will quickly pass ( like awhile back whenever someone was quoting someone they would hold 2 fingers on each side of their face and wiggle them to imply quotation marks)

Some idiot does it on tv and other idiots do the same.
The fad ends, idiots on tv move on to something else, and the idiots at home quit and follow the next annoying fad.

end of rant

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM

23,333 posts, read 14,973,539 times
Unhappy Lost inside

Losing something in the house and you can't find it. It drives me crazy when this happens and Mrs Aks & I have been checking everywhere. We never throw anything away; it simply didn't get put back where it belongs and now it's lost. We've retraced our steps and thought about it but just can't figure out just where it got put. It makes me angry when this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.