Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Well ... My vent is rather trivial but I want to do a vacation late June/early July and it seems that the price of airfare and/or hotel is way out of my price range. Although I LOVE living in California, it just seems that we are so far from all the locations I want to visit (east coast). I'm willing to visit the south but not during the summer. (sigh) I just need to think outside the box. At this rate, I'll wind up staying home as I'm getting tired of cost comparisons, etc. Oh well ... Maybe it's not meant for me to book a trip during that week but I can't help feeling disappointed.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
I feel your pain, Chatt. My tickets to visit my mother around T'giving time are outrageous.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Not only are the prices outrageously high but having to go through all the security at an airport makes it less enjoyable to travel by air. I’d love to be able to travel via high-speed rail someday in this country.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Not only are the prices outrageously high but having to go through all the security at an airport makes it less enjoyable to travel by air. I’d love to be able to travel via high-speed rail someday in this country.
In Japan, I believe they have trains that travel at over 200 mph. That would be viable in America. I suppose it's just someone deciding if there is money in it to make it worthwhile. As for the airports, it drives me crazy. Some of the security people seem to take great pleasure in telling you to take your belt off, then sometimes your shoes, then the X-Ray machine. They finish you off with a good feel all over your body. They won't allow you to take liquid through, even water as they say liquids could be used to make explosives to bring down a plane. I'd have thought if that's the case, all you need is a terrorist working inside the airport. They could pass the liquid to a passenger to do this. I know they are terrified of a plane being brought down in this way. I'm just not sure the efforts they make to stop this happening, would deter determined people. Let's hope they're right, and I'm wrong.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
After WW2 my mom thought they would concentrate on making the trains better, but then air travel became more popular with people all in such a hurry. She really hated to fly but she loved the trains.

Long ago about 1983 or so my mom went to see her Aunt in Alaska. On the flight back she didn't have her glasses on and she is looking for a certain gate while changing planes. She goes up to this gal and says where is E.T., and the gal looks at her like where did this one come from. Then she gets upset and says in a determined tone, I'm going to Omaha and I have to find E.T. Now this was back when the movie E.T. was popular. So I see why the woman looked at her that way. The woman then replied that's E1. I can imagine how embarrassed she must have been. I teased her about that for a long time, I bought her some E.T. stuff as a joke.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
After WW2 my mom thought they would concentrate on making the trains better, but then air travel became more popular with people all in such a hurry. She really hated to fly but she loved the trains.

Long ago about 1983 or so my mom went to see her Aunt in Alaska. On the flight back she didn't have her glasses on and she is looking for a certain gate while changing planes. She goes up to this gal and says where is E.T., and the gal looks at her like where did this one come from. Then she gets upset and says in a determined tone, I'm going to Omaha and I have to find E.T. Now this was back when the movie E.T. was popular. So I see why the woman looked at her that way. The woman then replied that's E1. I can imagine how embarrassed she must have been. I teased her about that for a long time, I bought her some E.T. stuff as a joke.
I used to love riding the train when I was in the army. I used to travel from London to Manchester, then home to Oldham. It was a two and a half hour ride, and I enjoyed every minute. I'd love to ride a train in America.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Dave, they're not the romantic thing they used to be. I took the auto train from Virginia to Florida the year we moved down. I'm not good at driving long distances, so it was a good thing for me. They put the car on the train, you board mid afternoon, get settled, have a so-so dinner, amuse yourself till you fall asleep, wake up, go to the really smelly restroom, brush your teeth and wash your face in the nasty sink, have a good breakfast, and, around 11, you're in Florida.

Now, a year ago, my friend, her daughter and I took the Mystery Train ride. It's a dinner theatre on a train that goes out about 20 miles, then comes back. WHat a wonderful dinner and a lot of fun. I'd do that again, but it is quite expensive. A special treat.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Dave, they're not the romantic thing they used to be. I took the auto train from Virginia to Florida the year we moved down. I'm not good at driving long distances, so it was a good thing for me. They put the car on the train, you board mid afternoon, get settled, have a so-so dinner, amuse yourself till you fall asleep, wake up, go to the really smelly restroom, brush your teeth and wash your face in the nasty sink, have a good breakfast, and, around 11, you're in Florida.

Now, a year ago, my friend, her daughter and I took the Mystery Train ride. It's a dinner theatre on a train that goes out about 20 miles, then comes back. WHat a wonderful dinner and a lot of fun. I'd do that again, but it is quite expensive. A special treat.
About 10 years ago, there was a railway line at the back of where I worked. I noticed some really attractive train carriages sat there while people were examining the engine pulling them. I walked over being the nosey person I am for a look, Inside the carriages were all dark wood, wall lights, and tables. I asked someone what they were. He said they were carriages for the orient express. I believe these days they are used for day trips, taking people for a ride and meal. Also period films.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
How about a train like this one? Its very fancy and very expensive, funny how the 2 always go together isnt it. Oh, no money doesnt buy happiness, just nice trips and first class treatment, which would make me pretty happy.

On Board | Rovos

Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Todd, that is really cool. Absolutely nothing like what Amtrak has!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics