Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is there a Public Utilities Commission you can complain to? Probably why others are getting their power turned on sooner. It's the squeaky wheel trick.
No. The town I live in has its own power company. Unfortunately, our section of town was ceded to CMP about 100 years ago when the power companies were set up.
After several decades of pleading with the state of Maine, because of the poor service we receive from CMP, our town was given permission to hook us up to the town power grid, as long as CMP agreed. CMP will not agree, because this will set a precedent, and the thousands of unhappy customers in dozens of towns will be able to hook up with the small companies in other towns. That's a whole lot of cash leaving CMP's coffers.

Some of my neighbors have expressed the opinion that CMP holds us off for last as a punishment. You'd think that as a squeaky wheel, they'd try to give us better service.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
Vent-called our son today at his new home and heard a familiar hearty laugh in the background-our daughter. Broke my heart that we are here and they are all there. Have to get serious about getting out of here and soon. Life's too short.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

This smacks of corporate and government misuse of personal rights of citizens. I need to check into this more, but I simply don’t believe anyone has the right to that information or ID for any reason other then payroll deductions after you’ve been offered the job.

You could be right. SS isn't used for identification purposes. Usually you need a picture ID. I do not give out mu ss# to anyone. I know I have to for tax purposes and banking but that's it. I just don't trust all of the office workers with my number. Sorry, hard times can hit anyone and you just never know how desperate someone might get. Better safe than sorry.

I would love to know what you find out AksarbeN!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times
I am going to vent about cable TV. I pay good money every month for TV and I have noticed how many re-runs they have. There is so much I don't like on. My bill this month was extraordinarily high so I called to say what the hay. And I was told I was paying for an automatic service I never ordered and because I paid for it twice I am not entitled to a refund, but they will note my formal complain and get back to me. So I said, I will pay my bill when u do. Now I may end up having to pay them and I will because I can't be without communication services, but it sucks. They can just charge u whatever and because u don't catch it immediately too bad. Something is wrong with that.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
^^ Sun queen,,,

That sucks with the cable tv company. Yes,,, you need communication services but there might be “other” choices that you are able to have instead. Most people don’t want dialup pc service on a land-line, however the provider might have DSL service in your area. It’s worth a call and find out if you can have something other then cable.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
This won't fix anything however IMHO

I understand now that we can’t laminate or alter the SS card. However that is only part of the issue. I’m more concerned about why the state exam wanted “you” to have that document as ID for taking the exam? I’ve never shown my SS card to anyone ever. It’s purpose is solely for the Social Security department and is “not” considered a legal form of ID in most every situation.
I think it's quite common for an SS card to be accepted in conjunction with a picture ID as a form of identification. The last few jobs I have had required two pieces of ID if you didn't have a passport - one of the acceptable pieces was the SS card.

I guess if you don't have another option, it's what you can use. I've never had it mandatory though.

Edit - I take that back. I did have to show the SS card to my employers when I started.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
Spinx, that's because of a federal reg. that requires folks prove their status here in the country. Since it's a federal thing, I guess they can do it. When I was working in the employment agency, you could show one ID such as your passport OR a combination of things like a state-issued photo ID (drivers license, i.e.) AND something similar to your SS card.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 AM

36,416 posts, read 16,023,456 times
AK, I have never shown my SS card to anyone, ever. For a passport I used my birth certificate.

This is North Carolina, it was for a nursing assistant state exam and yes, when I got home and looked online, I saw where it said no laminated SS cards.

Why in the world they would want that for identification, I don't know except for illegals, but they all have SS cards anyway, they just aren't real. They did not look up anything when we showed identification, they just looked at the driver's license and SS card. You could also use Military ID in lieu of SS card.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Expiration dates on food items at the grocery stores seem to be a bigger problem then I had noticed previously. The other day several we needed several items, so I made the trip to the local store and couldn’t buy any of the four items needed because the dates were very near expiring, and if I can’t use it within a few weeks the item isn’t worth buying. I made trips to four different stores to get what I needed.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Thanks for the heads up I rarely pay attention to that but I will definitely start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics