Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,703,183 times

Advertisements

Are we wasting our time on the Internet posting to one another? Where does our real life end and our online life begin? I've read a few threads and posts saying people are online too much and they're neglecting their real lives so they need to leave C-D. Reading SWB's thread from last December was the one that got me thinking.

Why do some of us feel awkward or maybe ashamed for how much time we spend on the computer posting to one another? Isn't this part of our real life anyway? Just an extension? I understand the difference between my online friends and the friends and family I see face-to-face. But quite honestly I'm not this open and honest with anyone else in my life. I can really put myself out here with you all. Sometimes it's easier to put the words on the screen than say them to someone. And I know that I will hear the truth from you all, whether I want it or not.

So for me, this is a part of my real life. I do spend a lot of time in this forum. I will leave my browser open at work and check during the day, and post. But I don't get up and hang out at the water cooler. It's not that type of environment...so I don't have a problem posting and reading while I'm at work.

And isn't it amazing that many of us are all different ages and walks of life? Would we have talked to one another or even joked around if we met one another face to face? Even though we have posted our photos, there is still a sense of anonymity...which makes it safe for us to really pour out who we are, and what we believe. For the most part the social guards are down. The biases aren't there. We can say what we feel, as long as we don't flame people...hate those red marks!!

So before getting down on yourself about how much time you spend on the computer, forums etc. think about how much you have personally gained. I have learned so much and do feel like I've made some good friends...people that I would love to invite into my home, play cards with and just hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM

669 posts, read 3,187,321 times
I've learned plenty from these forums. I do not regret spending time online like I do. It's better than, say, watching tv, IMO.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 PM

48 posts, read 413,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Are we wasting our time on the Internet posting to one another? Where does our real life end and our online life begin? I've read a few threads and posts saying people are online too much and they're neglecting their real lives so they need to leave C-D. Reading SWB's thread from last December was the one that got me thinking.

Why do some of us feel awkward or maybe ashamed for how much time we spend on the computer posting to one another? Isn't this part of our real life anyway? Just an extension? I understand the difference between my online friends and the friends and family I see face-to-face. But quite honestly I'm not this open and honest with anyone else in my life. I can really put myself out here with you all. Sometimes it's easier to put the words on the screen than say them to someone. And I know that I will hear the truth from you all, whether I want it or not.

So for me, this is a part of my real life. I do spend a lot of time in this forum. I will leave my browser open at work and check during the day, and post. But I don't get up and hang out at the water cooler. It's not that type of environment...so I don't have a problem posting and reading while I'm at work.

And isn't it amazing that many of us are all different ages and walks of life? Would we have talked to one another or even joked around if we met one another face to face? Even though we have posted our photos, there is still a sense of anonymity...which makes it safe for us to really pour out who we are, and what we believe. For the most part the social guards are down. The biases aren't there. We can say what we feel, as long as we don't flame people...hate those red marks!!

So before getting down on yourself about how much time you spend on the computer, forums etc. think about how much you have personally gained. I have learned so much and do feel like I've made some good friends...people that I would love to invite into my home, play cards with and just hang out.
I have loved voicing my thoughts/opinions and feeling like I have helped a person or two...see my post on not belonging (thread started by Putty)...I don't feel "close" to anyone here but would welcome a regular conversation with you guys...I have never used my computer to post anything anywhere before this site and I'm having a blast learning about different parts of the country!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,748,740 times
No because while I'm on here I'm also editing a site, listening to good music and sometimes talking on the phone all at the same time!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,478,134 times
I am alittle ashamed at how much I am on here. If it was just for what I originally came on here for-to look at places to move, then I wouldn't be ashamed. But I spend more time in Other Topics than my states!

Look, today was my cleaning day, and honestly, starting at 11:00, I should have been done by 2:00. Was I? No. When was I? 6:00. Why? Because I was having fun with you guys!!!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:51 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,304,102 times
Sometimes I think I spend too much time on here, but I enjoy it so much. I feel I have made life long friends on here. I talked to DTexas85 on the phone, she is so sweet. So when I get concerned about being on here too much I think of what I would have missed if I never got on here. I have also learned a lot of useful information about places and just life in general. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, but I do think I need to limit my time on here, we'll see.......

Old 03-24-2007, 06:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,385,886 times
I've learned quite a bit too. I like to keep up reading with a few forums of where I'd like to move to someday.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,741,507 times
I beat myself up on how much time I spend on this web-site. My daughter, who patiently waits to check her 'away messages' tells me that I need to get a life! She get's on and off in a few minutes and she is the teenager! Right now the family is watching a movie together, and where am I.....

Old 03-24-2007, 07:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,385,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I beat myself up on how much time I spend on this web-site. My daughter, who patiently waits to check her 'away messages' tells me that I need to get a life! She get's on and off in a few minutes and she is the teenager! Right now the family is watching a movie together, and where am I.....
Uhm......

Oh don't tell me I know this one!!!!

OHHHH!!!!

I guess I don't.

How about a hint?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,693,845 times
Default Not really

This is my time of year to waste time. Hey, it is my time, I get to waste it anyway desired. In a few weeks, it is back to work and I will get less puter time. Outside is usually rainy or muddy or whatever, end of winter, spring still not warm enough to open the windows.

And I don't spend that much time anyway. Sort of mastered the art of being able to type thoughts instead of words. I can cruise at around 60 wpm. Actually takes me longer to proof read and correct it many times than write it. And I usually got something cooking in the background that I am waiting to finish while messing around.

Plus it keeps me in practice. Don't write as much as I used too. If I wasn't doing this, probably be taking a nap.

In a few weeks you will probably see less of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics