U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,701,041 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few people in here who arn't always so polite to others. I even read one example where it seemed like the person was making fun of someone for being polite???? It's easy enough for someone to be polite in public and although there are a lot of people that are two faced if you're sincerely polite that's wonderful. But, I think to be polite on here when you don't have to says something about your person. Anyone can be polite in public and then come on here in the secrecy of their home and be a jacka** (and some do! ) But I think it really shows "class" and a strength of character to be polite having the comfort of anonimity and the idea that "noone knows"
IMO it seems like people today are somewhat losing their manners!? Why is that? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,492,807 times
I think it really depends on who you are addressing in here. As sad as that sounds.
Some ignorant people do not understand when you are being "polite"
so you have to talk to them a certain way to make something click in their minds. Or attempt to make something click.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,067,768 times
I have heard it said that common courtedy is the social "grease" of civilization, and as courtesy disappears, so does a civilzed world. Or so I've heard.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,467,222 times
In "real" life I am very polite ... Ps and Qs ... since I was raised that way.

On CD I still try and be polite. I choose my words wisely and really do not try and offend even when a post really chaps my cheekies. It's hard though since I have a wicked sense of humor. But my Mom taught me well.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,117,629 times
I have to agree, dreameyes. I've restrained myself at times, knowing that what I would like to say to someone could come across as hurtful. It's difficult when you're faced with a poster who won't listen, no matter what, and who spews the same rhetoric over and over again. But to make fun of that person to me is cruel. I don't enjoy the forum as much as I used to before this all started.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,073,493 times
I'm usually polite... catch myself not being so polite at other times !

Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM

800 posts, read 3,956,640 times
I hear ya

I work on being polite, but I'm sure I have my moments just like everyone else. I try to be tolerant of myself 'cause I'm learning, so I'm sure others are learning too

I think there's so many opportunities to be offended in our world though. That's why I try to look at the intention behind someone's words...If it is to be offensive, then, I ignore it. But, sometimes, people's words will come off as "offensive" when they didn't intend it to be that way. So, that's why I wrote the previous paragraph

Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,785,878 times
I think that sometimes, and I'll admit I AM guilty of this...people tend to 'type' things they would never say in person.
Likewise, I worked in a bank call center, people say things to a stranger on the phone that they would never say to a human being sitting in front of them. That was one brutal job!!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM

11,397 posts, read 18,601,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
.people tend to 'type' things they would never say in person.

nope,what I say here I'll say face to face.I hold back here alot,because this forum has so many different people with upbringings.I like to tease,I like to be teased.At work we call names to each other all day but with a smile.Some here might take it wrong.

Fact is some members set themselves up to be razzed,like need afordable home and vasinger,even me sometimes.

there is a time to be serious,a time to joke around.In the politics forum Im serious,here Im laid back.

Some of the stupid questions some members ask though need to be responded with some tuff love.Yes vasinger,you are to sexy for your cat....

anyway this internet thing is pretty cool huh? the way we can get addicted to staring into a monitor all the time.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,025,592 times
Could/probably be me you just called out...don't know and not really worried about it. You see the internet is a wonderful place filled with darn near everything you could imagine.....including people that *gasp* did not grow up in mommy's very protective bubble. As in any aspect of life we deal with, assimilate with, get along with, DON'T get along with a vast array of personality types. Some "scare" us, some make us warm and fuzzy, some leave us scratching our noggins and others leave us laughing so hard we gotta up and go pee. Now for you that are so worried about these "rep points" and feeling that you must be oh so gooey sweet with every post, ponder this:

You have a neighbor that lives two doors down

they seem to be the sweetest people on the planet as they walk their dog by your house every evening, waving, laughing, smiling and all of that and of course you returned all of the warm and wonderful feelings!

you go outside ever morning and pick up their dog's ****

you look across the street at the house that never has dog **** in the front yard

you remember that family has told those neighbors to keep their dog away from their yard (my that was rude!!)

you stand there in the driveway every morning wondering who has the better dealeo here.

Bottom line is not everyone is who you think they are. Ponder this, are people (of all ages) suckered into very bad situations by people that just tell it like it is and pull no punches in these forums or by people that are so sweet, nice, caring and all that ONLINE? My kids have been on the internet for years and are well aware of what to look out for .....are you? Something to think about before you start putting down your defenses...keep a sharp eye out folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics