Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:12 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times

Advertisements

I went to my first seder dinner when I was in 7th grade at my best friends house . We ate to much of the chopped apples and nuts soaked in wine.
Thats when I learned you are realy not able to stand on a beach ball.

When I lived in NJ I would go to my friends Moms house for Seder every year.
I love how the different foods held symbolic meanings. The herbs for the bitter the salt water for the tears that were shed.
I would sit betwen my friend and his grandmom *****
Now being the picky eater I am I would pass on certian things, the boiled eggs and the horseradish. Every year Grandmom would say "karla, are you going to try the "gefilte fish" this year "I'd say next year grandma next year"
Once the formalities were over they would bring out the brisket and the roast chicken or turkey. Yumm and the Matzo ball soup. Momark I am surprised that you had such small sevings, maybe they weren't doing the full meal.
It was also fun when the kids would play "hide the Matzo" the parents would "buy" it back from the kids. I still have the Susan B Anthony dollars they would give the kids.
Wonderful times thanks for helping to bring back some great memories

Enjoy the experience
karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM

85 posts, read 405,891 times
Just relax and follow others......you will enjoy the experience.
At the end of Seder the door is opened awaiting Elijah should he decide to drop in.
Elijah couldn't make it when I attended.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
It really depends whether the people having the Seder are following the heavy duty complete Seder, or the abbreviated version.
I went to one that did not end until 1am.
Others were so edited that it was more like a preschool event.
Ours have been somewhere in between; certainly no need to eat beforehand, we had plenty of food and did not starve our guests.
It is my favorite Jewish holiday.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:07 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Ours have been somewhere in between; certainly no need to eat beforehand, we had plenty of food and did not starve our guests.
So when do you move here cil ? and can I invite myself to your Seder dinner next year

karla

Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
heh
We're workin' on it, Karla. April will be a very decisive month!
It would be so fun to have y'all for a Seder.
One thing I like about Seders (but you have to be kind of careful) is the 4 glasses of wine.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It really depends whether the people having the Seder are following the heavy duty complete Seder, or the abbreviated version.
I went to one that did not end until 1am.
Others were so edited that it was more like a preschool event.

It is geared for the kids at they synagogue so it should be over by 8 or 9. Starts at 6 I believe. The synagogue is more on the liberal side (from what my co-worker tells me). They eat pork and stuff like that...so not as strict. But I do know he said we will be having chicken and Matzo balls. Never had it...Matzo that is, I'm always up for trying anything new.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Yes, many and look forward to them all! If you want some basic info, go to www.jewfaq.org and click on Pesach Seder.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Thanks for all the advice! I'm off to the seder in a few minutes. I had a big lunch and how I'll eat more is beyond me! I have heard to be ready to drink some wine. We'll see! Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:49 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
Hoosier guy -

It's an honor and a joy to go be invited to a Seder.
Although this may seem unlikely on the face of it - they can vary quite a lot.
I've always found Seders very moving and joyful. I hope you do too!

Share your experience with us after you go, will you?

Thanks,
David

Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Yes, hope you did enjoy it. Let us know how it went will you?

We had ours on Monday night with our small congregation family and a group of college students. It's always good when we get together. Ours was catered and we had to quickly set up an addl table for those who forgot to make reservations. Ironically all the latecomers spoke spanish as a second language so they had a lot of fun sitting together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics