Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 PM

93 posts, read 359,666 times

Advertisements

What are your thougts?

Years aho I registerd as an organ doner on my drivers liscense, told my family my wishes, etc. I then talked with a freind of mine thats a med student and he discussed with me body donation for medical research.

My reasons for wanting to be an organ doner are because once I am gone if anything of mine can be used to help another person in need I am all for it. I like the idea of helping a few people once I'm gone.

That said, my freind expressed the opinion that medical body donation can offer more because first off there is a limited supply and secondly he felt that I'd be helping more people in the long run based on the fact that Several people, doctors, etc. can learn from your "gift" and spread their knowledge to way more people.

What do you think will help more and where do you stand on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,102 times
I wonder if you can do both?

Donating your body is fine, it's more for teaching. But if you donate your organs you will help someone live longer or better, depending on what it is you're donating. I would rather help someone live a better life through some part of me than be a guinea pig (sort of!) even though I know that's ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:26 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
If you happen to die in good health due to an accident and still have an organ that would benefit someone else....then it could be used. However, if you die of old age or a disease...then your whole body could be used for science. I have the organ donor option on my license, but my will states my body is to be given to the medical field as a cadaver study.

I don't think this is the right or peaceful option for everyone or every family, but my family is very comfortable with it. If you DO make these decisions, you should discuss it will family members to make sure they won't be upset with it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Well, that's one way to avoid the high cost of burial and funeral expenses.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
My father did both. They were able to donate a few organs and then the remainder of his body went for study. This was back in 1980, and at the time, they kept donor recipient names confidential. We always took it on faith that my father's wishes were honored, but still I wondered... Then we got a very nice letter from a doctor who was able to use my father's corneas. He said a corneal transplant had been performed on a 14 year old boy who had never seen prior to that transplant. The mother was very grateful & wanted us to know. It was one of the very best things to hear.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
go with where you heart lies. Either way you will be a positive effect on someones life. You might want to speak with your family members about this choice they might feel better about one way or another. Just let them know that either way it will happen. Most families find comfort in organ donations but in whole body donations they can recieve the body back for cremation/burial of choice.

Personally I can't do either, body donation I have a personal odd feeling about and organ donations I can't do to a a 'mysterious' medical condition. Yep I play stump the Doctors all the time... somehow my body seems to think its a great game no matter how I feel about it.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
go with where you heart lies. Either way you will be a positive effect on someones life. You might want to speak with your family members about this choice they might feel better about one way or another.

I agree.

I had a friend pass away from such a rare form of cancer they haven't even made a name up for it yet. He donated his body to UCLA Medical Center for "research".

Some people have a hard time with this simply because your body will be "investigated", for the lack of a better word and some people don't like the thought of their loved one being treated in that manner.

I don't have a problem with either (donating organs or the whole body). The way I look at it is, if people didn't do either, than we'd be real behind in some of the medical areas and we'd all pretty much be paying the price for that. I'd rather they "experiment" or do what they have to on a human body that's donated than on a live animal that has no say. You know what I mean.

A great book to read is "Stiff: The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. Facinating read. And you'd be surprised as to how many different ways your body can be put to use!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Talking They'll never find you in the witness protection program

I’m both an organ and body donor. There is no need to take anything with me when I die. We’re all “spiritual” beings in human form, so if my spiritual being leaves this body who needs the remainder. If someone can benefit from any or all organs, and others can study the body it’s worth allowing medical improvements for others to live.

LOL And when you’re in the witness protection program it makes it harder for others to find “all” of you.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:08 PM

20 posts, read 59,949 times
Either way even if you decide to have a "full body" or "organ donor", you are doing a very good favor to someone's life. I commend you for doing such a good decision.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:19 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
I've longed believed organ donation is one way of cheating death. If you think about it when you donate a part of yourself to someone, and then they donate and the next person, you could essentially live forever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics