Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,705 times

Advertisements

I feel this is such a short window of time. Its as if you're over 25, all of a sudden you aren't young anymore?

I just turned 30 and feel younger actually than I did at 21. I have changed my lifestyle and eat a lot better and have lost weight too. But I consider myself a young adult, because I feel young. I am not married yet and single and not too settled or old acting.

I think also most people in person think I am late teens/early 20s. Because I work in a smoothie shop with teenagers and they cant believe I am 30. But I think 30 is young anyway -even when I was a teenager.

20s is such a transitional time, I feel that an extension of adolescense happens, and Drs and Society needs to reevalute how they group ages into "Young Adult".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,624 times
Don't let someones guidelines rule you. I claim my age of 52, but good luck getting me to act that way. I have 12 grandkids, yet even though I love them, I don't feel like a grandma. I am with someone 20 years younger now and we both act like kids at times. Keep eating right, you will thank yourself later.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,569 times
I have been thinking upon that age range through the various era of our most recent past. If you think about it this is the first era or period of time that 18-25 doesn't really mean young adult at all. let me explain. what is the average age a child leaves its parents home today? What ways it about 50-60-70 years ago? I don't mean college but to leave and start thier own life with family, career etc? In factI beleive we have more young adults at home still trying to figure out how to live a life then ever before.
Kids were expected to grow up much earlier back in the days then lately, so i would question the adult part if you can define adult as being on ones own.

also the other side of the coin is that the need to define and set guidelines is present in our social structure. even though the question concerning race is suppose to be a non question it is still asked, as are many others that should be better left out of day to day life. Still the corporate and political structure is such that to define is a needed, if not unwelcome necessary evil.

I guess with the blending of past and present the term young adult had to stick some age range. with the new terms 50 is the new 40's and 40 being the new 30's or 60 being the new 50's I guess all the catagories of age is blending into one big mush of number ideas and old time mombo-jumbo!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,939 times
My brothers and I as kids had to grow up fast. We had a hard life. My teenage years I acted out but when I turned 19 I stopped and I feel grown up. I am only 29 but I do not feel young anymore. I guess because I have so much responsibility or I did so much as a teenager that I wanted to grow up as fast as possible.
It all depends I guess on the person. My grandparents are 77 and 70 and they still act like young adults. They are so cute.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
My brothers and I as kids had to grow up fast. We had a hard life. My teenage years I acted out but when I turned 19 I stopped and I feel grown up. I am only 29 but I do not feel young anymore. I guess because I have so much responsibility or I did so much as a teenager that I wanted to grow up as fast as possible.
It all depends I guess on the person. My grandparents are 77 and 70 and they still act like young adults. They are so cute.
I'm sorry that happened . I hope maybe you can get your youth back.

I feel so young at 30. Even younger than when I was in my early 20s. I think because I was trying to conform to being "older" then and felt right anxious.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,939 times
I still feel young to a point but I changed my focus and energy may that is what it is. I play with my kids instead of doing adults things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics