Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times

Advertisements

One afternoon , late last week, my pup, Brandi was barking at something under one of the many large oak trees surrounding our home. I stopped what I was doing, which was assisting two of my DH's brothers attempting to repair our John Deere 455D crawler.

I walked over to Brandi and pet her on her head and told her to quit barking. Dogs do understand English, don't they? Anyway, I looked down and there on the ground was a large ball of netting about three (3) feet in diameter with something black embedded in it.

I took Brandi away from this. Then went back with a very long rod and tried to pick up this round mess to no avail. Very heavy and awkward it was. It was then that I realized that a black snake about 6 - 7 foot long was never ever going to get free from his entrapment by himself.

I went into the house and called the Missouri Department of Conservation in Jefferson Citiy. After explaining to the lady that answered the 'phone my/our predicament she transferred my call to a senior agent who listened to my tale of woe with passion. He advised me that no agent was in my area to release the snake.

I then inquired about the method that any agent would use if they were here. told him to give me about 25-30 minutes and then call me back to make arrangements to send an agent from another area if needed. I did what he told me, put gloves on, grabbed a towel and cutters and proceeded up the hill to become a Reptile Florence Nightingale.

Now please picture this long beautiful specimen of a Black Snake thoroughly trapped in this 1/2 inch mesh about every inch or so for at least 3 1/2 feet with only his tail free to wiggle about. I guess you could call a snake's tail as wiggling. I tried to cover the section of the mesh where his head was trapped even tho' this was not an easy feat as his head was about 6-8 inches from the edge of the outer circumference.

Starting at the lower end, as I was instructed, I cautiously and carefully began snipping away at the black mesh inch by inch by inch. About half way through, I called to one of my BIL and asked if he would like to help me. He came over and took the snips and while I held the bottom half of this poor creature, by now w/o the gloves as they had become an hindrance, he cut away most of the remaining mesh. I then held the snakes head while he cut the mesh surrounding the head.

Finally, freedom!!! While firmly but gently holding the head and the mid section of our patient, I carried it over to another shady spot and gently laid him on the ground. No thanks, just a rattle of his tail, a quick glance in my direction while sticking his tongue out at me, and off he went. About then the MO Conservation man called back and I relayed to him our 30 minute adventure with a good outcome.

Only downside of this while ordeal is that I never took any pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I'm really impressed that you guys saved the snake. I probably would have killed it and missed the joy of saving a wood creature. Great job!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
NWV, 0ne of mine was out for a stroll today....

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 PM

Beautiful, Bones. check out my album pictures if you get a chance. We do seem to have an abundance of Black snakes around here. Long story made short: we raised about 16 of them from eggs many moons ago. Conservation dept. gave us advice and we turned them loose in early Oct. that year and have always seen Black snakes around here. Thank you for the picture. Out for a stroll!!! lol.....

Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Wow. Good for you, NWV. Do they eat pests like rodents? Those can eat you out of house and home in the country.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Hi bjh....yes the snakes around here eat the field mice which are a giant nuisance making their nests in anything and everything in our tool sheds and storage boxes under my DH's work benches. Stinky and messy creatures.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hi bjh....yes the snakes around here eat the field mice which are a giant nuisance making their nests in anything and everything in our tool sheds and storage boxes under my DH's work benches. Stinky and messy creatures.
Wish I could train them to eat moles....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Wish I could train them to eat moles....
You would have something if you could Bones!

NWV I don't know that I could do what you did with the snake. Now I feel super guilty because of trying to get a neighbor down here to take "out" a large gopher family here.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
Good for you NV!

Shows we can really do most things if we try!!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Awesome story!

I like snakes too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics