U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,480,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
What are the rest of you dependent on
130 years or so ago people would consider electricity a luxury. It has become a necessity for us We're a technological globe, and just as oil, we are dependent on electricity.

I would be in need of the basics: hot water, AC/Heat, and refer. Lighting has many suitable replacements. You could still cook with wood or propane. If we were to loose electricity altogether you would be surprised at how you would adapt and survive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,699,539 times
Default Yeah, it is tough to get your back that way........

Quote:
Maybe I should have said that showering alone by candlelight holds no appeal!

And thank you for your story. I'm also glad to see that you get out and play basketball, and actually have a life!
I actually had it set up in Boston of all places that could lose power and not really be affected that much. I have the oil lamps and those work very nice. Actually was without power once for about a week, at the end of winter, still no problem.

Here I probably do need to think about getting one of those small Honda generators. We lose power a lot more, the town has its own power plant, always seem to be monkeying around doing something. Without power, no heat. Never am comfortable without some form of backup.

Just get some neighbor to come in and take the shower with you. Be very eco friendly and get the back clean, in a drought probably can justify three or more at the same time.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 AM

192 posts, read 624,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
There's one more facet that hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm way back in the woods so trees coming down in a storm often take out the power lines. When that happens my well pump no pump
That's precisely the reason (to be accurate, one of the two reasons!) I would not buy a house that didn't have public water. Yes, I know I could have a backup generator but I hate using gas-powered "stuff" (except for cars, of course ). All my gardening/landscape items are either manual or cordless (battery), even the small DR Neuton mower that I use for touchups occasionally between lawn-service cuts. I don't even own a propane-gas bbq grill! At least with public water you still have a water supply despite local outages.

The other reason I won't consider well water is that I'm paranoid about water quality; I'd spend a fortune on a filtration system and its maintenance, and still not feel comfortable unless I had the stuff tested every 3 months at least! I have an undercounter Doulton filter in the kitchen for all water that's ingested; it removes anything that might possibly still be the public supply, including chlorine and iron residue from pipes, and the filter is extremely simple to maintain with a once-a-month removal and cleaning.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 5,119,919 times
I admire your attempt at not using gasoline power things ..... But...

Have you ever tried using a chain saw in the " manual mode" ?/

It's quite a workout !!

ps...what a great video that would make LMAO

Old 04-14-2007, 01:35 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,808,845 times
Quote:

It's quite a workout !!

ps...what a great video that would make LMAO

OMG! ROFLMAO! They DO make electric chainsaws..........

Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,861,520 times
Quote:
Maybe I should have said that showering alone by candlelight holds no appeal!

And thank you for your story. I'm also glad to see that you get out and play basketball, and actually have a life!
Well I'm planning to be in California in August sometime, so if your power goes out again look me up! Haha!

Oh that's no problem, I have a great life when I can get outside and do something, it has been so outrageously cold here the past few weeks, it's been just awful. I can't take it. I miss the Sun!

Last edited by Ronzou; 04-14-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,699,539 times
Default The old chainsaw joke

Quote:

It's quite a workout !!
It is the old joke about a guy from Florida moves to Oil City and wants to cut some firewood because he can't get the gas turned on in his new $10K house.

Goes to the hardware store and asks what type of saw he needs. Saleman sezs we got all these nice gasoline powered chainsaws over here. This one for $150 should work fine.

Dude buys it and goes away. Comes back two days later and sezs will not work he only was able to cut one small piece off a log. Chainsaw is looking all busted up. Salesman sezs is ok, is under warranty, gives another. He goes away.

Comes back two days later same story. Chainsaw looking real bad, claims this one don't work either. Salesman sezs ok, lets go out back, I got some logs out there we will test it out and see what is wrong with it.

Theys go out back, Salesman, chokes it, primes it, pulls the ripcord, saw fires up on the first pull, he gases it up, RRRRMMMMMMMMM, RRRRRRMMMMMM, RRRRRRRMMMMMMM, starts to cut the log.

Young dude jumps back yelling, what dat ......... what dat noise.........

(Substitute dudes to taste)

Old 04-14-2007, 07:13 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,861,520 times
Well if you run out of electricity and just need something to do.

SAFETY DANCE!!! *music plays*

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to a place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And we can dance.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:29 PM

192 posts, read 624,126 times
Quote:

Have you ever tried using a chain saw in the " manual mode" ?
LOL! Oh, trust me: When things come up that require a chainsaw, I pay someone whose business it is to play around with "toys" like that!

I "DIY" a great deal of things but there are certain things I always relegate to the "Call The Man" category: electricity, plumbing (other than clearing a clogged toilet), anything that involves getting onto a roof or even a ladder more than 4 steps up (I have a very bad sense of balance), and anything absolutely requiring the use of large gas-powered outdoor tools!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 PM

5,163 posts, read 10,297,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Just get some neighbor to come in and take the shower with you. Be very eco friendly and get the back clean, in a drought probably can justify three or more at the same time.
That would only work if I were showering with pygmies! My shower is not that big, unfortunately. Two regular sized adults, max. But thanks so much for the idea; it's so nice that you're so willing to help me save money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics