Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,900 posts, read 30,245,188 times

Advertisements

Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. )

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent?

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result?

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence?

Bonus Question:
In life some people test the waters, so to speak, with a toe while others jump right in.

Are you usually a tester or jumper?

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home?

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on?

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen?

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does.

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere?

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered?

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs?

Today's Funny, Fun or Weird Web Page:
So many cool photos, so little time!
Follow the link to kulfoto.com site: Pictures Trending on Web, Funny and Interesting Picture Galleries

Today in History:
1054 A supernova became visible and so bright it could be seen during daylight for several months. Its remnants formed the Crab Nebula.
1776 Declaration of Independence, 13 American colonies sought independence from Great Britain
1817 Construction on Erie Canal began, linking the Hudson River directly to Lake Erie
1845 Republic of Texas voted to join the U.S.
1845 Henry David Thoreau moved to cabin on Walden Pond, resulted in the 1854 book Walden
1884 Statue of Liberty presented to U.S. in Paris
1903 Pacific cable laid, connecting San Francisco, Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines
1997 NASA's Pathfinder space probe landed on the surface of Mars

Today’s Word:
brum·by [bruhm-bee] noun, plural brum·bies
a wild horse or pony

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US
Republic Day, Philippines

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th
Beans and Bacon Days, 4th-7th

Today's Picture:
This cake design must have taken some planning.

Wherever you are in the world, here's wishing you sweet freedom today and always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM

11,045 posts, read 17,435,491 times
Happy 4th!!

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? Personally independent? wth! I'm married! lol

Bonus Question:
In life some people test the waters, so to speak, with a toe while others jump right in.

Are you usually a tester or jumper? I like to kind of "wade" in.

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please. Usually works out pretty good

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? Baked spaghetti. DEEEEEElicious!!

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? Not much on breads but cakes and cookies

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? Not that I can think of

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does.

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? I don't

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? My 91 yr old dad does

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,344,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. )

So tell us . . .
Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent?
Depending on how this term is defined , I'm still not independent.
I remain reliant on others to keep me stable , so I have to deal with the judgments people make about that.
Being an adult means being less subject to other people's beliefs about what I should be doing.

Bonus Question:
Tester.
Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please.
I sit on sidelines, observe & collect data, study & analyze-
only then do I consider edging my way in to a new & unfamiliar situation.

However, when it comes to swimming, I do literally jump right into the pool as often as going in slow-
but that's not necessarily indicative of my overall personality.

Can't assess whether my approach is "good" or not, it has upsides & it has drawbacks, as any stance does.

Have missed some opportunities but I've stayed safe, too-it's a tradeoff, everything in life is a tradeoff in some sense.
Foodie Question:
Cookies, over 5 years ago.
No.

No.
Just for fun:
Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere?
No.
Father did, mother did not.

Today’s Word:
a wild horse or pony
First heard this word in the Aussie film "The Man From Snowy River".
Wherever you are in the world, here's wishing you sweet freedom today and always!
Appreciate the Q's.
Have a happy July 4, peoples !

Last edited by cloven; 07-03-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 PM

44,292 posts, read 19,960,112 times
Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. ) << Oh. I thought you wrote a swear word and the C-D language filter bleeped it.

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? I felt very independent when I went away to college. Then I felt I was really independent the last 1.5 years of college when I had a dorm room to myself. But it wasn't until I was 22 when I got my first apartment when I was truly independent.

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? I've always enjoyed living alone, so that was never a problem. I think the biggest challenge my independence has brought on me is that over the years I found it more and more difficult to ask for, or even to accept, help when I really needed it. I mean - everyone needs help with something now and then, but it's extremely difficult for me to accept it.

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence? It was a great sense of accomplishment every time I conquered a fear by myself. Also, when I bought my modest little house at age 35 it made me feel like a million bucks.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? In most respects, I'm a tester; a bit timid about making big changes or taking risks.

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please. For the most part, my conservative approach to life has worked well for me. Although, in retrospect, I wish I'd have been brave enough to travel more when I was younger.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? A pan full of mixed vegetables.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? I love to bake pies, brownies and other desserts that I've made from scratch.

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? Several times I've made a checkerboard layer cake. It's not too difficult. It looked pretty much like this:

Just for fun:

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? Nope; I don't use them. It's gross to me - to blow my nose in a hanky and then carry it around the rest of the day and then wash it at home. I prefer to use a paper tissue. I DO have some in a drawer, though. My mom had a lot of pretty, embroidered hankies, and I still have about 10 of them.

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered? Some of each.

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? My dad always carried one. My mom usually had a hanky in her purse. I know some men who still carry hankies in their pants pocket.

Follow the link to kulfoto.com site: Pictures Trending on Web, Funny and Interesting Picture Galleries

Today’s Word:
a wild horse or pony
What a nifty word! I'd never heard this one before. What, bjh...... no cute little animated graphic of a horse running?

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day Yum! I'm sure some will show up at our 4th o July picnic.
Barbecue Day I'll chow down of a big, fat, beer-marinated brat tomorrow afternoon.
Barbecued Spareribs Day Yum!
Caesar Salad Day Yum!
Independence Day, US Yippee! God bless America!
Republic Day, Philippines Happy Republic Day!

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th

Today's Picture:

Now THAT'S a cool cake!

Yes - Happy Independence Day and here's to freedom for everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-03-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,250,138 times
Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? 21

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? Convincing my parents that my move from Fort Worth to Chicago was right for me.

I was able to buy my own washer and dryer and car (really, my father had to cosign for me on the car).

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? Usually I am a tester but on rare occasions I jump right in. An example of jumping in was my move to Chicago.

Everything seems to have worked out over the years. Knock on wood. The move to Chicago got me a job with a federal agency that I retired from 37 years later.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? Chicken pastries.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? Yes, I do.

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? I think heart-shaped cakes are cute. I have a heart shaped cake pan.

Just for fun:

I have an embroidered one that I got as a gift when I graduated from college. It means a lot to me.

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered? Yes.

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? My father had hundreds of square cotton handkerchiefs. I got a penny for every one I ironed. Pillow cases was where the money was. I got a nickel each for them. LOL

Today in History:
1054 A supernova became visible and so bright it could be seen during daylight for several months. Its remnants formed the Crab Nebula.
1776 Declaration of Independence, 13 American colonies sought independence from Great Britain
1817 Construction on Erie Canal began, linking the Hudson River directly to Lake Erie
1845 Henry David Thoreau moved to cabin on Walden Pond, resulted in the 1854 book Walden
1903 Pacific cable laid, connecting San Francisco, Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines

Today’s Word:
a wild horse or pony

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th

Today's Picture:

That cake is beautiful and I bet it is totally yummy, too.
Happy Independence Day!!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times
Today's Question:

I don't remember feeling challenged. I think when you are young, stuff just rolls off your back, you know?

Getting away from my mother. I was a few hundred miles away.

Bonus Question:

I'm decisive even if I make mistakes. One of my peeves is indecisiveness in a boss or general leader.

Good. I always seem to land on my feet even for the few times I've had to be pulled into something or jumped in and made a mistake. It surprises me to think about it looking back on my life. I've been lucky that way.

Foodie Question:

Beans

No. I rarely use my oven.

No

Just for fun:

No

No

Maybe when I was little.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,979,456 times
Just got back to the U.S. a couple hours ago. Spent 20 out of the last 28 hours sitting in a coach seat on airplanes. Will take a couple days off in Philadelphia then head home for a few days..

Today's Question:

I will let you know when it happens. Actually I moved out on my own once and for all when I was in my early 20's.

Several years ago it was making ends meet. Anymore it is eating right.

Being the one that decided what was going to be done on days off

Bonus Question:

I am known to do both

For the most part it has worked well for me. Then again I only see what I want to see. Reality might bite me one of these days.

Foodie Question:

Probably some rolls. It has been many years since I last baked.

I would rather someone else do the baking thus requiring me to only particpate in the eating of said baked goods

My sister used to get carried away with the food coloring when baking angel food cakes

Just for fun:

I carry one

Nope. Never saw the logic in paying more for something you are going to use to blow your nose.

My dad always did

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,612,410 times
Today's Question * * * Thursday 04 July 2013

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:
14 sorta ....felt like it when I got my motorcycle. Independent would come a bit later..
Making ends meet.

Bonus Question:

I can be both it depends on the situation.
Mostly good I think!

Foodie Question:
I don't recall. Wife warmed up a frozen dinner for Gkid the other day.
Yes...at times.
Daughter made this for one of the girls a while back.

Just for fun:

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
a wild horse or pony

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th

Today's Picture:

Happy July 4th to all and thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-03-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,866,773 times
Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? 22

Marriage!
Not having to follow parent's rules. It was hard to move back into my family home after college.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? More of a tester...

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please. Not so good with some things...missed opportunities.

Foodie Question:
Hm..... Haven't used the oven in months. Let's see... Turkey & stuffing at Christmas, maybe. Oh, no. I made a chocolate sheet cake to use in a trifle last month. Forgot about that.
I do, but usually only in the winter. My house is small and using the oven heats it up too much in warmer months. Even growing up in a big farmhouse, I remember mom baking cookies on cold days to warm up the kitchen.
My daughter tried..... TRIED..... to make a tractor cake, or a cake in the shape of a tractor. Bless her for trying.

Just for fun:

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? Sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Both, some with tatting around the edge.
I know my dad carried hankerchiefs, but the first person who comes to mind is my grandmother. She used to keep a hanky up her sleeve, use it and fold it.... back into her sleeve it would go.

Happy day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 07-03-2013 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 9,226,797 times
Hello all,

Quote:

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:

At age 19 moving out of a physically and emotionally abusive home. Challenging because I was not mature enough to be on my own. I had to wing it without direction but I felt a big relief after I did it. The reason why I didn't leave at 18 was money. Once I had enough from working 2 jobs as well as finishing high school I was out. I did okay but feel my life should have turned out much better than it did. I totally blame my father who was not only a horrible parent but a bad husband to my mother as well.

Quote:

Nothing to contribute here, sorry.

Quote:
Tonight I made a homemade portabella mushroom pizza.

Quote:
Only banana bread about 4-5 times a year.

Quote:
I've seen them but nothing sticks out. I don't bake cakes or buy them. I do like cake but it would not be wise for me to bring one into my house since I am single and have no one to share it with.

Quote:

I do not have any hankerchiefs but I remember when they were popular.

Happy Independence Day to those in the States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics