U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM

13,618 posts, read 10,012,965 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Landing in St Barts PC-12

my dads family lives here in st barths i've done this landing a few times it's a belly churner

this is what it looks like from the road i've stood here and watched the planes land it's harry u have to have a special licence to land here..

YouTube - Landing in St Barth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM

15,582 posts, read 33,169,384 times
Why the heck don't they land from the other direction?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM

they used to land from the ocean side but was to dangerous for the biger planes if u can't stop u smack right into the hill and pooff !!

this is some old fotage of a landing from the beach side

YouTube - Cessna Caravan Landing in St. Barths

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM

84 posts, read 144,310 times
I have seen that footage on various shows.

Can you imagine a small airport like that here in the states? With the landing strip right at the end of the sandy beach? And with kids there??? Has there ever been any accidents there?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal3 View Post
I have seen that footage on various shows.

Can you imagine a small airport like that here in the states? With the landing strip right at the end of the sandy beach? And with kids there??? Has there ever been any accidents there?

yes it does happen in 2001 a plane crashed into a house killing 20 people they moved the road over to the south some!!! that road on top of the hill was a disaster in the making.. even on the water side it's realy harry i've seen a plane almost take off a boat mast it's all about timing it's like a loto..

i've stood on the beach right in front of the runway when a plane was taking off and the landing gear was only like 8 feet above my head. i would not do that again!!!! one mistake and i would have been toast..

the pilot that used to fly people from st croix to st barhts was a great pilot but he does not fly there any more.. i have to go to st martin to get to st barths now..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM

49,114 posts, read 27,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Why the heck don't they land from the other direction?
On final approach and landing, the ideal direction/heading to be in an airplane is against the direction of the wind to provide as much lift on the wings as possible. Safe landings are also possible when heading in the same direction as the wind, but with a short runway like the one in that video, going against the wind provides an extra margin of safety.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 11,666,485 times
Guess I won't ever be going to St Barts!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 AM

49,114 posts, read 27,754,118 times
I just noticed the sloping terrain that's ahead of the threshold of the runway. You definitely have to time everything perfectly on a landing so you can touch down and still have enough room to to bring the aircraft to a full stop.

I also wached take-off videos and I know pilots set the parking brakes, set the thrust to very high, releast the brakes and roll for take off. This ensures that the aircraft gets enough speed to lift off and not stall. I also noticed that they bank sharply to the left to avoid the hill that's ahead and flying above residential areas. I know some of those twin engine aircraft have enough thrust to provide enough pitch (angle) to clear the hill, but they probably have to comply with noise abatement, that's why they bank sharply to the left shortly after lifting off.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 AM

53,432 posts, read 68,324,606 times
its not a phobia. phobia would be an unreasonable fear. small planes are dangerous.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 AM

25,288 posts, read 22,760,549 times
Ive never been there and dont plan on it anytime soon, but pilots are usually pretty well trained to land where ever they need to, whether planned or unplanned, so no phobia of flying here. I would question flying over the bermuda triangle at any given time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics