Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,101,735 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Sunday
Well woo hoo I am not rushing this morning !!!
Got up early and I don't have to stop at my friends house before heading to meet our friends for breakfast, So I have plenty of time to ask

Today's Question(s):

If you could go "Back in Time", which decade would you most like to visit ?

(lol I was going to say "if you could turn back time" but didn't want that song stuck in everyone's head all day )

Bonus Question:

In honor of Elevator Day

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ?

Any funny Elevator stories to share ?

Extra Credit Question :

List 3 "fads" you wish would come back ?

(this could be clothing,music, hairstyles etc)

Just for Fun:

Have you ever Polka'd,(doesn't look right ) polkaed ok lol danced to Polka Music ?

What is the strangest, unusual or unique thing you have taken lessons for ?

Today in History:
1831 - The first steam locomotive train began its inaugural run, between Albany and Schenectady, in New York.
1859- The Elevator was patented
1910 - Alva J. Fisher of Chicago, IL received a patent for the electric washing machine. Previously, washing machines were cranked by hand (not easily done) -- or you used a washboard.
1944 - Smokey the Bear debuts as spokesman for fire prevention
1988 - Just 1 day after 8/8/88 with an 88 degree high, the New York's daily number was 888
(cue theme form the twilight Zone)

Word of the Day:

métier\met-YAY; MET-yay\ , noun:
1. An occupation; a profession.
2. An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.

Today is:
National Rice Pudding Day
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day
Celebrate Your Lakes Day
National Underwear Day
Dance A Polka Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 AM

48,103 posts, read 21,985,223 times
Today's Question(s):

I believe that we are progressively getting better....with regard to human rights and
quality of life for the masses and health and education.....so I wouldnt choose to go back to a previous time...as an observer perhaps....but going back isnt progress, although we still have a long way to go ..... we are better than we were. (lol I was going to say "if you could turn back time" but didn't want that song stuck in everyone's head all day )
Now you went and did it anyway!

Bonus Question:
In honor of Elevator Day
I use elevators at the parking garage if I am at the top and in train stations if I have luggage..so it hasnt been very long ago...perhaps a couple of weeks.

Any funny Elevator stories to share ? No just the usual ups and downs.

Extra Credit Question :

Just for Fun:

Have you ever Polka'd,(doesn't look right ) polkaed ok lol danced to Polka Music ?
Roll out the barrels.....yes I have.....When I was in college (1960's) I worked one summer in Minnesota....and polka halls were very popular.....I loved the music and the dancing.

Not all that strange....but I did take square dance lessons at one time in my life.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,038,473 times
If you could go "Back in Time", which decade would you most like to visit?

I think I'd like to see the sixties, this time as an adult. I think the change in perspective might be very interesting.

What is the strangest, unusual or unique thing you have taken lessons for?

I was an administrator in a hospital and when the workforce went on strike, my paperwork was certainly less important than getting the actual "important" jobs done. (I think in many ways, that work was more important than my paper processing and meetings all day anyway.) I assigned myself to the department that had to sterilize the various instruments and trays used in procedures in the operating room and other places, so I needed lessons in how to wash, sterilize and pack the trays.

That was for the day shift. For the evening shift, I worked in the kitchen and delivered patient food trays to the units. Didn't need lessons for that one. Just needed lots of rest when the day was done!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,218,707 times
Today's Question(s):

I would have to pick the 60's, I was just a child and the time was the greatest.

(lol I was going to say "if you could turn back time" but didn't want that song stuck in everyone's head all day )
But Karla you just put it in there now

Bonus Question:
In honor of Elevator Day

When I was in MI in the spring, have to use elevators when babies are in their strollers.

Nope.

Extra Credit Question :

I can't think of a thing here.

Just for Fun:

Only in physical education class.

Nothing, I just stick with the normal.

Today in History:
1831 - The first steam locomotive train began its inaugural run, between Albany and Schenectady, in New York.
1910 - Alva J. Fisher of Chicago, IL received a patent for the electric washing machine. Previously, washing machines were cranked by hand (not easily done) -- or you used a washboard.
1988 - Just 1 day after 8/8/88 with an 88 degree high, the New York's daily number was 888

Word of the Day:
2. An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.

Today is:
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day
Celebrate Your Lakes Day
National Underwear Day
Dance A Polka Day

Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM

36,409 posts, read 16,014,557 times
Today's Question(s):

The 50's, I loved them!! I felt safe, had fun and everything seem simple, I know it wasn't but it felt that way!!
OOPS Too Late

Bonus Question:
In honor of Elevator Day

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ? It was in April.

Extra Credit Question :

I think everything will eventually come back, except Leisure suits
Just for Fun:

Polka music is irritating!
OK Disco lessons!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,785,593 times
not yet

Today's Question(s):

1850's to meet my great grand parents and work on his farm

Bonus Question:

In honor of Elevator Day

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ? 2 months ago

Any funny Elevator stories to share ? I probably can't top Sue's... nothing here

Extra Credit Question :

List 3 "fads" you wish would come back ? my 'fad' meter has run out.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever Polka'd,(doesn't look right ) polkaed ok lol danced to Polka Music ? years ago... it wasn't pretty

What is the strangest, unusual or unique thing you have taken lessons for ? probably beekeeping long ago

Today is:
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day
Celebrate Your Lakes Day
National Underwear Day - if you wear it change it
Dance A Polka Day

Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,314,145 times
Hi everyone!!

Today's Question(s):

If you could go "Back in Time", which decade would you most like to visit ? Maybe the 1960s

(lol I was going to say "if you could turn back time" but didn't want that song stuck in everyone's head all day ) Too late...

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ? Let me think... last May I guess, at our hotel in Mobile, Al

Any funny Elevator stories to share ? Sorry, I haven't...

Extra Credit Question :

List 3 "fads" you wish would come back ? No idea

Just for Fun:

Have you ever Polka'd,(doesn't look right ) polkaed ok lol danced to Polka Music ? Not sure

What is the strangest, unusual or unique thing you have taken lessons for ? When in college, I studied Croatian for a year, two hours a week. Not the usual type of language one will learn.

Word of the Day:
LOL Karla, you choose French words everyday!

Today is:
National Rice Pudding Day I don't like rice puddings
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day That's my day, then!!
Celebrate Your Lakes Day There's a lake near our place, we'll go and say hello to it!
National Underwear Day Hubby will like that one...
Dance A Polka Day No thank you!

Have a great Sunday!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,013,070 times
Today's Question(s):

This is a hard one - too early for such heavy thinking, but here goes: The 70's - fresh out of college - stated my first job - had some great buddies - went on lots of fun trips - bought my first house. That mind set of a combination of being carefree but also being responsible and having it starting to pay off.

Bonus Question:

In honor of Elevator Day

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ? WOW - it's been a long time! They use to be such a hugh part of my every day life and now - poof! Probably over a year!

Any funny Elevator stories to share ? Oh yes -While in college - I would go home to Rochester, MN and work at the Mayo Clinic (did brain surgery during summer vacation). Anyway, I heard stories about this mad pyschiatrist that would do weird things to people in the employee elevators, just to see your reaction. One day, one of the DRs sent me down to get a newspaper (your wish is my command, your highness). On the way up, my elevator stopped - it was me and THE MAD PSYCH GUY!! I knew immediately who this strange person was (I believe he made the elevator stop as well - AND - he kept it that way for 30 minutes!!!!) He was my height - 5'3 and would come up to me, nose to nose, and say "Hel-l-l--o-o-o-o-" He had that stare that just raised every fight or flight instinct. After I said Hello and joined the humor for a while, I tried to ignore him - Oh, dream on. I sat on the floor with the newspaper and proceeded to read - guess who was sitting on the floor next to me - reading my paper. I'd speak to him - he'd stare at me. I'd laugh at him, he'd stare at me. That 30 minutes was a lifetime - the sadist - he finally introduced himself and apologized for trying to freak me out and for finally making me mad (I was ready to punch the little weido). He also gave me his card to give to the Dr. I had gotten the paper for - it was a mess. Magically, the elevator began working . Dr. Tucker just cracked up when I delivered the card and the raggedy paper.

Extra Credit Question :

(this could be clothing,music, hairstyles etc) Music = du-wop (60's, I think) and yes, even disco. We use to dance, dance, dance,dance dance!

Just for Fun:

Have you ever Polka'd,(doesn't look right ) polkaed ok lol danced to Polka Music ? Yes - fun if you're being goofy.

What is the strangest, unusual or unique thing you have taken lessons for ? My friend had a plane and gave me off the record lessons when we would fly. Anyone care to go for a ride with me - .

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day
Celebrate Your Lakes Day - Every day
National Underwear Day
Dance A Polka Day

Once again, Karla, I commend you on your cleverness!!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,668,100 times
Off to the track for the last day of the "Super Chevy Show". Today's temp humidity index is going to be over 100. I'll be too tired to do anything but sleep when I get home so I better get to

Today's Question(s):

If I could take some of my current toys, the 60's. Great music, maybe I'd take dance lesson and I wouldn't be the only one on CD who doesn't like dance questions.

TOO LATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEzdyPx2HdI

Bonus Question:

In honor of Elevator Day

With MrsDs weak legs we use elevators frequently.

Extra Credit Question :

DA haircuts, bubble gum music and pet rocks because I have a lot of rocks I could sell on e-bay

Just for Fun:

Really can't think of anything I have taken lessons for.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Elevator Day
Book lovers Day
Celebrate Your Lakes Day
National Underwear Day
Dance A Polka Day[/quote]

Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,665,880 times
Today's Question(s):

If you could go "Back in Time", which decade would you most like to visit ? probably the 60s...........a load of fond memories

Bonus Question:
In honor of Elevator Day

When was the last time you were in an Elevator ? Past Thurs.

Any funny Elevator stories to share ? yeah but I had better not
Extra Credit Question :

List 3 "fads" you wish would come back ? only thing I cherish are platform shoes.
I see leisure suits were mentioned. DH had one and we were going to some affair but he pants were too long. I told him it will take me a minute and I cut them. He put them on and lo and behold......they were above his ankles.
He was standing there with the horrible look on his face and I was doubled up laughing,. Couldn't help it.
He evenutally wore something else and we took those god awful pants to he tailors.
I'm dangerous with a sisscors in my hands.

Just for Fun:

Oh yes and love it............roll out the barrel............whoo hoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics