U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM

2,989 posts, read 2,243,222 times

Advertisements

Today the California I once loved is now more like a foreign country so maybe I just long for something familiar to me. My grandpa and aunt's house are in rough condition but still well built by today's standards. The Ohio winters do take their toll on wood frame homes in that part of the country. Way back then, people had victory gardens and, like other posters said, took care of their property because that would probably be their life long home and they knew their neighbors, unlike today. I recall getting a private telephone line for the first time; who would have ever thought about something like a cell phone. Can't decide whether to move home for the last time or just keep on moving. Like another song said...how many seas must a white dove fly before it rests in the sand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,855,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Today the California I once loved is now more like a foreign country so maybe I just long for something familiar to me. My grandpa and aunt's house are in rough condition but still well built by today's standards. The Ohio winters do take their toll on wood frame homes in that part of the country. Way back then, people had victory gardens and, like other posters said, took care of their property because that would probably be their life long home and they knew their neighbors, unlike today. I recall getting a private telephone line for the first time; who would have ever thought about something like a cell phone. Can't decide whether to move home for the last time or just keep on moving. Like another song said...how many seas must a white dove fly before it rests in the sand?
I hear u many folk who live in the southwest or border states wonder about the good old days when everyone spoke English and knew their neighbors.

I think one sign of getting old is not wanting to learn some of things. For example computers.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 AM

8,541 posts, read 1,474,060 times
We have one more move left. We will leave this town. I'll wait for a while, see how things
pan out. If things don't improve on the house selling front, we will sell it for what we can
get for it. Some people round here have started renting their homes out, and are moving
away. This means you start getting people who are just passing through, which isn't good
for a neighbourhood. It's still very quiet round here - for now. Some are stuck because they
bought at the peak of the housing bubble, and can't get their money back. We have also
to think of Judy's mother who is 86. Change upsets old people. But, we will get to

Old 12-10-2011, 02:17 AM

That's the first time my machine has done that for a while. I've give it a good talking to,
should be OK now! As I was saying, we will get to Cleveleys on the west coast eventually.
There are lots of parts of England that are still beautiful, in fact most of it. The old industrial
areas of England have gone downhill, but there is much of it still nice to live in. I was shocked
when I went to Scotland a few years ago with my son. It is a beautiful country with lots of
open space. Lovely coast areas, and really nice people. I'd hate to think some of the things
I've said about the problems here would put people off visiting England. For the most of it,
it's a beautiful, interesting, safe place to have a vacation.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 AM

U start to realize those beauty treatments u used to do for fun are now a required activity

Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Someone mentioned remembering their first house phone - I do too Must have been
about 1979. My first wife Patsy and I moved into the first home we bought, lived in
rented houses till 1978. She said we should have a house phone. There was a street
phone a couple of minutes walk away, you know the old English red phone boxes. I
said "why pay line fees? It's only a short distance!! Patsy liked to ring her mother long
distance which worried me slightly. Anyway, one night she walked to the phone in the
rain. "Don't forget your brolley" I called helpfully. She got wet through! Came home,
dripping, I WANT A HOUSE PHONE she shouted. So I agreed, those bills were a fortune,
as feared she was on the phone to her mother all the time!!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM

2,989 posts, read 2,243,222 times
" I'd hate to think some of the things
I've said about the problems here would put people off visiting England. For the most of it,
it's a beautiful, interesting, safe place to have a vacation
."

Nothing said here compares to the political concerns one would have visiting England today. The politics of the U.S. aren't all that different so the world is getting smaller and nastier in some ways. The U.S. also has many beautiful and interesting places to vacation and live but it has changed since I grew up.

Sun Queen, the language is one thing but it is the demanding attitude that I don't understand. In my area Americans are looked down on and considered too dumb to deserve a job, after all we just put men on the moon. When I was growing up we were expected to treat visitors with respect and dignity and it was expected in return.

I think every elementary school should have Lynne Truss' Talk to the Hand as required reading. She states that politeness is a signal of readiness to meet someone half-way. I guess I want things the way they used to be and not full of the agression and rudeness we suffer today.

Does that mean I'm getting too old?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:45 PM

1,462 posts, read 840,582 times
You know you are getting older when the waitress glares at you after she picks your tip.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:12 AM

16,133 posts, read 16,258,959 times
I was just invited to play Bingo

Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I was just invited to play Bingo
Must have been some old dude who wanted a young hot fox to liven the bingo hall up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics