U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
bjh
Status: "Goodbye, September. Hello, October." (set 3 hours ago)

20,225 posts, read 11,674,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Keep your beef away from my lasagna and NO ONE gets hurt!
No cattle were harmed in the making of this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM

4,740 posts, read 2,549,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Meatless lasagna.

I mean really.
Mounds or ALmond Joy.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't
There will be some who will want meatless 100% of the time and
some who will always want meat all the time. Let's hear it for different
strokes for different folks.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM

2,734 posts, read 3,343,800 times
Default Thanksgiving Is Awful

I am already fearing my least favorite holiday of the year. Friends and family are bringing it up and I cringe every time.

I hate Thanksgiving because there is nothing to be thankful about on Thanksgiving. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Yes, I know Christmas is technically a religious holiday but its really not too me. Its as commercial as Thanksgiving too me.

Thanksgiving is like a crappy version of X-Mas hence why everyone stuffs their face with food so they can fall asleep so the day seems shorter. The only redeeming thing about Thanksgiving are the football games but that will not be the case this year. The Lions and Cowboys historically play on Thanksgiving and both teams are complete utter bores this year.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas and spending time with the family. However, that is not the message with Thanksgiving. The main message I see is eating turkey and eating so much you have to undo your pants. Gluttony is not appealing too me yet it is celebrated.

And do not give me the Pilgrims bit, we all know thats a lie.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,350,316 times
Wow, that's a pretty negative view of a holiday established to give thanks to God for American independence from Britain; for peace, safety & happiness; "for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed"; and for "the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge". (See the proclamation made by George Washington on October 3, 1789.)

I'm nonreligious, but I choose to reflect on the good things in my life and enjoy them with a spirit of gratitude. Thanksgiving and Christmas have very different purposes. The latter being a time of celebrating the birth of a prophet. However, if you prefer one over the other, that's certainly your right.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 PM

574 posts, read 1,250,457 times
The main message of Thanksgiving is that it is a day set aside to remind us to be thankful for our blessings which we receive on a daily basis so yes, that would include Christmas, along with every other day of the year as well. Thanksgiving just reminds us of that. Consider this quote by an unknown author, which in my opinion seems to have an awful lot of merit.

"Gratitude may be the purest measure of one's character!"

Of course this is just my humble opinion, but Thanksgiving to me is one of the most meaningful holidays of the calendar year!

Nancy

Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 PM

3,118 posts, read 2,263,731 times
I love Thanksgiving, it's alot of work and it's stressfull to prepare everything.. But it's so great to have one day a year where everyone takes time out of their day to day lives and gathers under one roof to share a meal..

Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Status: "Remember surprises can be blessings in disguise!" (set 3 days ago)

391 posts, read 839,134 times
I think the "Thanksgiving" part is lost with many people for the holiday. It's for reflection of what you are thankful for. Most people are just happy about being off and going to the Black Friday sales so I understand what you mean.......(In a way). I don't cringe at Thanksgiving but the day isn't appreciated like it should be.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM

2,734 posts, read 3,343,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Wow, that's a pretty negative view of a holiday established to give thanks to God for American independence from Britain; for peace, safety & happiness; "for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed"; and for "the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge". (See the proclamation made by George Washington on October 3, 1789.)

I'm nonreligious, but I choose to reflect on the good things in my life and enjoy them with a spirit of gratitude. Thanksgiving and Christmas have very different purposes. The latter being a time of celebrating the birth of a prophet. However, if you prefer one over the other, that's certainly your right.
You seriously think people know that? People want to eat turkey, mashed potatoes, ham, stuffing, etc not celebrate the past.

And I thought the 4th of July is the true American Independence from Britain? Thanksgiving is as made up as Valentines Day too me. Both are completely worthless.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,725,325 times
Pet-Peeve for today :

Why can't my postman avoid being so violent shoving my mail through my mail slot ( in my front door). Most of my post end up mangled or if he can't fit it in, on view to everyone and wet if it rains....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,603,355 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
And do not give me the Pilgrims bit, we all know thats a lie.
^^^HAHA!

It's to give thanks Columbus killed the Natives and stole their ideas.

That said, I love turkey day. Family, friends and good food.

Turkey, stuffing and gravy with lots of ground pepper. I eat this for breakfast on Friday. I can't wait for Thursday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics