U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,700,083 times

Advertisements

I agree, I agree, I agree!

I am totally blind and I carry a white cane with me and drivers STILL practically run over me at intersections. I have come within an inch of my own death. I've had my friend's foot run over, and the driver would have over my feet too had my other friend not jumped in front of the car. I've had cars tap my knees, beat me to a turn, honk at me, yell insults at me, all because I was trying to cross at the implied crosswalk on my light. It's insane.

Too many drivers here think they own the road and need to realize they share it with pedestrians too. Even though there aren't that many, there still are some. And they also seriously need to review the White Cane Law, too.

Quote:
Section 20-175.2. Right-of-way at crossings, intersections and traffic-control signal points; white cane or guide dog to serve as signal for the blind.
At any street, road or highway crossing or intersection, where the movement of traffic is not regulated by a traffic officer or by traffic-control signals, any blind or partially blind pedestrian shall be entitled to the right-of-way at such crossing or intersection, if such blind or partially blind pedestrian shall extend before him at arm's length a cane white in color or white tipped with red, or if such person is accompanied by a guide dog. Upon receiving such a signal, all vehicles at or approaching such intersection or crossing shall come to a full stop, leaving a clear lane through which such pedestrian may pass, and such vehicle shall remain stationary until such blind or partially blind pedestrian has completed passage of such crossing or intersection. At any street, road or highway crossing or intersection, where the movement of traffic is regulated by traffic-control signals, blind or partially blind pedestrians shall be entitled to the right-of-way if such person having such cane or accompanied by a guide dog shall be partly across such crossing or intersection at the time the traffic-control signals change, and all vehicles shall stop and remain stationary until such pedestrian has completed passage across the intersection or crossing. (1949, c. 324, s. 2.)
North Carolina Pedestrian Laws

The White Cane Law varies slightly from state to state but it's essentially the same in all states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 AM

12,735 posts, read 12,016,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They'll never run out of turkeys in Washington DC.
Same goes for Bull S fertilizer...

Old 11-21-2010, 11:51 AM

2,013 posts, read 968,044 times
I have a brand new grill -- the only natural gas one I've ever owned -- and I love it. It's a big sucker and I decided that I needed to buy a cover for it since it will be out in all weathers. Put the newly purchased mega cover on it on Friday and the wind picked up on Saturday. Even though the wheel locks are on, the cover makes a giant sailboat out of my grill! Guess the cover wasn't such a good idea after all!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 AM

8,039 posts, read 2,539,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I have a brand new grill -- the only natural gas one I've ever owned -- and I love it. It's a big sucker and I decided that I needed to buy a cover for it since it will be out in all weathers. Put the newly purchased mega cover on it on Friday and the wind picked up on Saturday. Even though the wheel locks are on, the cover makes a giant sailboat out of my grill! Guess the cover wasn't such a good idea after all!
I feel your pain. When I had my house I had the same problem got up the next morning and the grill cover was clear across the back yard and the grill was soaking wet.I put some heavy bricks on the cover to hold it down helped a little.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 AM

8,039 posts, read 2,539,267 times
People who make a big deal out of something and say one thing then do the other. Makes me insane.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM

12,774 posts, read 8,261,808 times
They are putting up more and more of the walk/don't walk signs around here at what I consider to be insanely busy intersections. Walk hell, run for your life is more like it. One close to us makes noises, which I imagine is for visually impaired people, but no one around here seems to know. They just hear the noise and wonder where it's coming from. A sound like a bird chirping is one of the noises.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 PM

24,309 posts, read 16,372,089 times
^^ Yeah,,, those that chirp like a bird are for the visually impaired to aid them in crossing. I’ve seen and heard one or two of these types of systems for pedestrians in different areas. I would imagine that someone requested the added audible signal to aid them to get around the area.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:23 PM

10,464 posts, read 7,528,148 times
When I was in high school, I stayed the night at a friend's house. She happened to live about a mile from our school so we just walked the next morning. There was one large intersection we had to cross. We walked on the signal and some lady turning right bumped us hard enough that my friend fell to the ground. I helped her up and she was ok, but the lady just rolled her window down to look at us and ask if we needed anything. Then she drove off! lol If I hit some young girls hard enough to knock one over I would have gotten out of the car to make sure they were ok...geez.

And, I also work downtown now. There are crosswalks about every other block for the state workers near the Capitol where I am. We are nearly hit on a regular basis - and it is common for people to actually speed up as a "warning." Lately, there has been a trooper sitting in the parking garage I park in and he has been chasing cars and ticketing them. It's funny to see the people in the crosswalk cheer when he turns his lights on and takes off.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM

1,790 posts, read 935,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
They are putting up more and more of the walk/don't walk signs around here at what I consider to be insanely busy intersections. Walk hell, run for your life is more like it. One close to us makes noises, which I imagine is for visually impaired people, but no one around here seems to know. They just hear the noise and wonder where it's coming from. A sound like a bird chirping is one of the noises.
About two years ago, Plattsburgh put in one of those 'chirpers' at a very busy intersection. I began crossing the street about three seconds before the chirp sounded. When it began to chirp it scared the CRAP out of me. I began looking around for police to come ticket me for crossing too soon. I had no idea what it was for until a few days later when someone, after laughing hysterically at me, explained it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Lately, there has been a trooper sitting in the parking garage I park in and he has been chasing cars and ticketing them. It's funny to see the people in the crosswalk cheer when he turns his lights on and takes off.
Still LMAO.

They should have more regular patrols (everywhere) of the higher traffic volumed outlets. They'd make a killing. No pun intended.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,700,083 times
When I lived in D.C., there were a number of chirping intersections, but the chirping was out of sync with the actual green light! I could tell based on the discrepancy between when cars started going and when the chirping began and even confirmed with a few sighted friends. Honestly, I think that's even more dangerous than no chirping at all, because at least I relied on the sound of traffic itself, but if a blind pedestrian was relying on the chirping, they could have easily gotten hit by a car. So to any blind pedestrians I say, make sure to listen to the traffic itself and not just the chirping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics