Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times

Advertisements

Pet peeve: The awkward scenario when you cross paths with someone you know well enough to recognize each other, but not overly well so you're not sure whether or not to say anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I just read on my cousin's Facebook: March 6, at Nascar in Las Vegas! Her and her husband come every year here to my city. Not even a phone call.

And being she just moved to Dallas over a year ago from the Midwest, she keeps asking when I'm coming to Dallas. Go figure!

I some ways, I can understand some of my relatives coming out here and not touching base, as they get these cheap 3 nite, 4 day packages and they try to cram in all they can while they're here.

My take on this: they're fearful if they call, they'll feel obligated to break up their schedule and meet me for dinner or a drink. But they don't know me. To me, limited vacation time is sacred, but no phone call?

If one of my relatives was going to take their first auto trip to the West, and were coming through here, what would I tell them? You've only got 2 weeks, don't waste your time coming to visit me, I'll catch you on my next trip to the Midwest.

Blood is thicker than water???????

Last edited by tijlover; 03-11-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: rfiy

Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
My pet peeve is people who will not pay a little more for American made products yet complain that their taxes are going to support people on welfare who can't find a job.
Good one.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some loser deleted me last night.

If you delete me on facebook, I automatically think you're a loser.

But this guy was a loser before he deleted me. He's lucky I was willing to be his friend, so it's ironic that he deleted me.

His life is Anime and video games. I met him at the beginning of college and I remember thinking "I'm never gonna get girls if I hang out with him"

I guess he wants to stick to his loser friends so that's why he deleted me
You know what makes this extra odd? He's commented on/liked my posts before.

But he's not nearly as odd as someone else, the guy I'm about to describe takes the cake: There is a guy that deleted me immediately after liking my status. What type of person does that?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
city_data91_, While I can understand hurt feelings over things like this, people come and people go, that's how it seems to be online, and many times without any rhyme or reason for it. If it was a long term online friendship I'd understand viewing it as a loss, but in the case of the transient facebook friend, I'd see it as a plus.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
My peeve for today is some people who be-little or discriminate children because they're children. I understand if you don't really have a heart for them, but you do not need to discriminate against them.
This is a huge peeve of mine! Being condescending to children is not okay! It's no better than being sexist or racist IMO. I don't understand why ageism is still so acceptable these days. Children are human beings too and we can all learn a lot from them!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Pet peeve: The awkward scenario when you cross paths with someone you know well enough to recognize each other, but not overly well so you're not sure whether or not to say anything
I always say hi. I've never regretted saying hi but I've always regretted not saying hi.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I hate liars, but that more than just a pet peeve to me.
Liars, politicians, and used car salemen.

Synonyms, I suppose.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Liars, politicians, and used car salemen.

Synonyms, I suppose.
Yep... and other male posters I am just joking -trying to start something. I suppose women could also be included. Given I am female typically hear more complaints about truth challenged guys.

I totally agree with being peeved over liars, deceivers and people who just don't care about being dishonest if there is a benefit for them.

It is a really good peeve I am sure allot of folk can identify with. Have a great week Chow I am so glad to run into u on this forum

Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM

I was browsing through a book today that is considered a legitimate major resource for rules of etiquette.

It said that "sir" and "ma'am" are never used between people of equal age and status, only by younger people to those who are significantly older or from a subordinate to their boss or a student to their teacher. Um, the author has obviously never been in the South if she thinks this is the only usage!

What really peeved me though was the fact the author actually said that when you dine out with a blind person, you may need to cut up the blind person's food into bite-size pieces. Um, excuse me, but blind people are quite capable of cutting their own food.

I can't believe millions of people write to this woman for advice on etiquette!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics