U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,319,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I think it requires a driver's license because counselors are to pick people up for the program or provide transportation to outdoor programs or such. Make sense but I will give a try though.
In that case, most of the counselors being able to drive is enough. They don't need every single one to drive. Plus, you could still accompany a child to their next destination using public transportation.

I have babysat children blind, using that method to get around together. It's totally doable. Go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM

20,455 posts, read 25,695,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Yeah it is in my volunteering that I find out how little I can contribute. Women and children issues are my cause. There is a domestic violence victim chick who I want to shake and help. The thing is she lives way below the poverty line doesn't make choices in her best interest and always needs a hand. She is trying I suppose and it is the nature of abused women to cover. How can I change it. U can't throw enough money or ideas to fix the fact another human being cannot accept the guy does not love her or her children
I know it is frustrating trying to help. Just keep doing what you are doing...you "will" make a difference to some. You can lead a horse to water but you can;t make it drink. My heart goes out to abused women and children. They do become brainwashed and their self esteem becomes battered..then they feel like they can't do anything without their abuser. It's very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree but it's also important not to judge. Abuse has a way of brainwashing you...it's really, really hard to break away.
Very very true. And I don;t think anyone can really comprehend that until they have lived through it. It is a terrible cycle to try and break.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Yeah it is in my volunteering that I find out how little I can contribute. Women and children issues are my cause. There is a domestic violence victim chick who I want to shake and help. The thing is she lives way below the poverty line doesn't make choices in her best interest and always needs a hand. She is trying I suppose and it is the nature of abused women to cover. How can I change it. U can't throw enough money or ideas to fix the fact another human being cannot accept the guy does not love her or her children
I know it's hard but the only person that can change her is herself. Try to keep in mind she has probably been through tons of conditioning where she was led to believe she is worth nothing and that the reality she has got herself caught in is somehow the reality she deserves. The realization that she is worth so much more has to come from the inside out, and then she will change her reality. She has to be able to come over a lot of fear, and everything she knows, and be willing to jump off a cliff blind into a new way of life. All of that is incredibly hard to come to internally and even harder to execute externally because you need the internal part first. You can give her the external but the only person who can give her the internal component is herself.

Don't put it on yourself sun. This is out of your hands. She has to learn to love herself first. I know it's painful to watch but you just have to trust that everyone comes around in their own time, even if it's in another lifetime.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,987,597 times
AA credit rating, soldiers dead, more of the same and no stones to throw at politicians. The current events of today are emotionally disturbing on so many levels.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM

185,986 posts, read 75,402,853 times
Decisions being made for me whether I like them or not. I don't play the part of the mushroom well.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,987,597 times
I hear exactly what u saying Nomad.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

When people think they know what's best for the poor or the disabled without having a shred of personal experience with either.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,622,663 times
Complainers and people who are just so darn negative about life, especially relationships. I hope I don't see you nor bump into people like you. I know that experience shapes our worldview about certain things but this is just ridiculous. All I'm feeling is a negative vibe coming from you. All I'm hearing is "blah blah blah" really. I will show you grace, but you think I want to be around with people like this? People like you? Think again.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 5,869,010 times
Why do groups of two or more insist on hogging up the sidewalk? Surely they can see that there's people coming from the opposite direction that would also like to walk on the cement pathway instead of stepping onto the grass, or worse yet, the street.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM

185,986 posts, read 75,402,853 times
People who let their dogs run loose that kill chickens. I'm really peeved after what I witnessed this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or